ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

things to look for in a mk1 172

hello...

can you advice me on what to chek on mk1 172 with 80km on it?

timing belt? front suspension? anything would be helpfull..

10x!!!!

Hi mate,

My 172 has done similar mileage and problems you should look out for are, like you say timing belt - ask if it has been done if not will need changing, auxiliary belt and tensioner (for the power steering air conditioning etc) , if these are worn the belt starts slipping and making an awful squealing noise, i bought mine with this problem and saved a packet because the previous owner didnt know what was wrong, it cost me about £200 to get both the timing and auxiliary belts changed. If you get to test drive it, floor it in first and second and if you hear a loud clunk that’s the engine mounts flexing and the engine bangs against the sub frame (This is an annoying but harmless problem alot of 172s suffer from this and its very difficult to cure). Main thing is the general condition, make sure its been well looked after and the usual servicing and maintenance has been done and you should be ok.

Check the usualy things rust shouldnt be an issue as most proble areas are plastic.

Checks shocks springs Mot accurate etc.

Bar crashes and the famopus problems I wouldnt worry just amke sure to take account of the 72k mile service when they change the belts which is costly make sure it realy has been done as if it hasnt its quite a fair bit.