ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Think i've fucked up my PC

EvoVIII, Gsxr, BMW M3
Ok I know it was pretty stupid but my sisters boyfriend said it was ok to do it, my pc was on and I needed to take my cd-rom drive out of it so I opened up the case and unplugged the power supply cable and IDE cable from the back :/. As soon as I unplugged it the sound started making buzzing noises every few seconds, ever since the sound has been buzzing but only slight blips and it gets worse when I open up a new program.
The cd-rom drive works fine so does everything else so it seems, just the buzzing in the sound.

Any idea what i've done to it?

Last edited:
  EvoVIII, Gsxr, BMW M3
Yeah :( Not entirely my fault, my sisters boyfriend said it was ok, I trusted him cause he works in I.T.

Astra CDTI SRI
Re: Think i've f**ked up my PC

Yeah :( Not entirely my fault, my sisters boyfriend said it was ok, I trusted him cause he works in I.T.

He works in IT and told you it was ok to disconnect the cd rom drive from a pc when it was switched on?!?!?!?

I think he should be reconsidering his career! :D

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
just turn the speaker volume down, its probably interferance from some cables in their the power lead that you removed from the cd-drive is that near the mboard, or near some other cables, move it away see if it stops. did u removed the cd-rom sound cable from the mboard too ?

Astra CDTI SRI
You have probably blown something.

I would backup any critical data asap, just incase.

Not a Clio

Unplugging the drive whilst the pc is on won't have done any damage. Ignore sargey, no need to back anything up and nothing will have blown.

Speakers buzzing implies interference or something loose in your speakers themselves. Check the inputs from your speakers into the sound ports i.e. check they are in firmly. If you have a pci sound card, check you haven't knocked it loose or draped wiring over it.

If you have spare speakers then give them a try, could be a coincidence and something has come loose.

EvoVIII, Gsxr, BMW M3
Phew thats a relief, thanks violent. I've tried my other set of speakers and tried several sets of earphones so i'm guessing it's internal. I'm gonna try and reinstall the sound drivers, if that doesn't work i'll have a look at the soundcard itself.

Not a Clio

When you check your sound card, turn the power off ;)

Make sure it's seated firmly and nothing is touching it. If you have any loose cables just zip tie them up or use an elastic band.

I doubt it's driver related but can't hurt to check.

Since you removed the drive and put it back in have you rebooted at all?

EvoVIII, Gsxr, BMW M3

JamesRT - as a rule, if you are doing anything inside the pc, turn it off first. ;)

Tbh, I should never do anything inside the pc at all, everytime I do, something f***s up... I managed to crack my motherboard a few years ago when I was putting some RAM in, broke my hard drive last year and lost 500GB of data and a few other bits and bobs that required fixing, I swore I wouldn't touch this PC as it cost over 4k.

BTW, tried reinstalling the sound drivers and it didnt work, i'll have a look at the soundcard later if i'm feeling brave enough.