ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Think my wife's just been ripped off

03 172 cup
Hi all, not been on here for a long time as have not owned my clio cup for years but my wife has a 2010 1.2 clio.
Just got her car back today after being in the garage as front right suspension was knocking.
The garage said the spring was broke so had to replace it along with the shock.
They have charged £243 for two coil spring and £68 for the shock plus 2 hours labour of £104
I've been away with work so hadn't been able to deal with it myself but that seems a silly price for the springs if you ask me.
Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 1448062998225.jpg
    1448062998225.jpg
    653.1 KB · Views: 153
  03 172 cup
Danny
Like I said I've been away, my wife is pregnant and needs the car for work so when she rang to tell me I said just get it done as obvious want it to be safe, didn't realise the price just for these bits as a few more bits needed doing like tyres and rear brake shoes but just looking at the invoice breakdown.

SQ5
Danny
Like I said I've been away, my wife is pregnant and needs the car for work so when she rang to tell me I said just get it done as obvious want it to be safe, didn't realise the price just for these bits as a few more bits needed doing like tyres and rear brake shoes but just looking at the invoice breakdown.

Did she not ask the price? You need to get in that other thread on here...

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Renault charge £100+ each for springs. My mate just replaced some on his 2009 1.2 Clio 3.

In the end he bought a pair for £80 from Euro Car Parts.

So all in all, 2 hours labour is fair, the shock doesn't seem 'too' expensive. That just leaves the springs which if they got them from Renault, are proper expensive.

So no, I don't think she has been ripped off.

SQ5
Renault charge £100+ each for springs. My mate just replaced some on his 2009 1.2 Clio 3.

In the end he bought a pair for £80 from Euro Car Parts.

So all in all, 2 hours labour is fair, the shock doesn't seem 'too' expensive. That just leaves the springs which if they got them from Renault, are proper expensive.

So no, I don't think she has been ripped off.

He's written kyb next to the springs so definitely not genuine and more than likely from ECP as shocks from there too by the looks of it

Mavez

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio & No Megane
Ouch! I changed the front springs on my mk2 1.2 a few months ago think it was about £30-40 for two and a few hours of my time. Hell i think i changed the front struts, springs, wishbones, ball joints, arb bushings, gearbox mount, track rod ends, top mounts, refurbed calipers, slider pins, brake discs, brake pads, brake lines, brake fluid change, rear springs, rear shocks for around about that amount.

Last edited:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Ouch! I changed the front springs on my mk2 1.2 a few months ago think it was about £30-40 for two and a few hours of my time.
Without meaning to sound rude, that has as much relevance as me chatting about Biscuits.

A mk2 and mk3 Clio are different cars so it's pointless comparing prices.

Mavez

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio & No Megane
Well if the invoice reads as correct, 32 KYB which is probably the RH3032 KYB springs. That's £40 worth of springs charged at almost £250, I still say ripped off.

Last edited:
  03 172 cup
The kyb 32 is my writing as that's what I found them for on mdp and eurocp, just been up there and they have used genuine renault parts so that's the reason for the high price, even the guy was shocked by the price so did other stuff to help like bigger discount on the tyres she had.
Like I said if I wasn't away I would have shopped around but just wanted my wife back on the road and safe,
Bloody cars....

WRX
If he was genuinely shocked, he should have looked at pattern parts and given the option.
It's a 1.2 Clio not a Ferrari.
I'd be fuming, I'd also want to see that they were genuine.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Yeah for a basic 1.2 Clio I would have found the cheapest springs possible lol