ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thinking about a Trophy

Track 172 Cup
I'm thinking (only thinking as I haven't decided what to do yet) about getting a Trophy as I only used my other car a few time a week (just sold it as the guy offered me more than I paid and it was just sitting there not getting used) and just need something I can pick the baby up from nursery once or twice a week in and something for a country road blast so thought I might have a look at a Trophy I like the colour, seats, sachs and limited numbers (just thought about another Clio as I like my 172 cup but it's stripped for track and cant fit the baby seat in my passenger bucket lol) OR is a well sorted 182 a better buy I like either LY or RB could modify it without being bothered, unlike the Trophy I would leave totally standard. The 182 I could tinker with and add some subtle mods and probably still have money left over. If I was to go Trophy I would want low miles, low owners and standard, 182 I wouldn't be as fussed on as there is more to choose from unless I'm trying to find a LY one lol. I did have a look at some 197 F1 but think I prefer the PH2

Disco 5 ,Monaro VXR
One thing to check is some baby seats wont fit properly in the trophy seats. Love mine and compared to my 172 its streets ahead, plus is probably worth a little more than when I bought it 18 months ago. Bear in mind the extra costs for the suspension bits when they need refurbished also. Love mine and my son and misses will not let me sell it as they both love it

Ex 182 owner
Also depends on your deffenition of low miles. I know there is a bit of hype just this second but some of the prices are a hell of a lot more than they were 12months ago.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Child seat will go into the back of a trophy but make sure you cover the backs of the Recaros so they dont get the s**t kicked out them by the toddler - have seen this happen.

Track 172 Cup
@dablk low miles would be around 50-70k ish, I seen the hype lol if I can't get a decent one for OK money I'll just look more into a FF 182, @optical Yeah she can't reach the backs of the seat yet but would have the passenger seat pulled forward when she's in her seat to stop her kicking. @Brooky182 I know the premium on sachs rebuilds etc just one reason I may look at a FF 182 but I may end up doing the odd track day in it (even though I have my 172 for that I would still be tempted to use it once or twice lol)

Ex 182 owner
Yeah, seen some big prices starting to appear. 70k cars are heading to £6k.

Soon the supercharged one for £9k will seem like a good buy to put back to standard.
It's defo the case of you need to want a trophy now to pay the premium at the minute.

Track 172 Cup
I seen a nice one with 59k miles but 5 owners - £6.5k but does look nice. Other side is either finding a decent FF 182 unless something else that gets my attention drives past lol

172 Turbo
Considered another Cup but with ASTs? Got two Recaro toddler seats in the back of mine for when it does daddy duty

Track 172 Cup
Yeah @masekwm that was an option, doesn't even have to be AST's something nicely set up would probably do me. Just like the idea of a Trophy but not totally set on one as I know there are some nice car's out there just as if not more capeable probably for less money lol

The one i seen is in the link, it says £6750 but in the add says £6500 looks nice and has all the bills original sale invoice etc

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...rt-182-trophy-16v-immaculate-with-fsh/4778601

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
I always had mint low miles 205 1.9 gtis in sorrento green,look how much they are worth now.Same will happen with these in time imo.

Ex 182 owner
Yeah Either it's a a genuine mistake and means 69,000. Or it's a hook to get you to view. Or the dash has been changed. It's also pretty poor to turn a car up to MOT with totally goosed tyres and the advisory list was also quite long.

Either way the new MOT viewer is a real tool for a buyer, but also a bit weird that you can look at pretty much any car you know the reg of.

Last edited:

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
If you go in with your eyes open knowing that you'll pay more for a Trophy, that the Sachs might need a refurb during your ownership irrespective of when they were done last, but that when you sell you'll be able to ask for more than a 182, then it makes for an interesting proposition.

From a mod perspective there's no reason to keep it standard so long as anything you change can be reverted ahead of its sale. Making irreversible changes could be expensive.

The flip-side is paying less for a 182, modifying it as you wish, then selling it for less than a Trophy.

The thing about cars like the Trophy is that because there is a known figure of 500 UK cars people are prepared to pay a premium for the exclusivity, coupled with the glowing press they've received over the years. A petrol blue 182 may be considerably rarer but it's not a limited edition per se.

Horses for courses.

Track 172 Cup
Exactly what I'm thinking Tim if I can't find a decent Trophy I may just buy a nice 182 and add a few little mods to bring it upto Trophy spec. I seen a black gold 182 that had sachs, recaro etc and Trophy decals and it looked very nice (OK not a trophy so shouldn't have the decals but could do something along those lines)

I'm still just considering my options as I want something just not 100% made my mind up yet. But seems as I enjoy my track clio so much it makes sense to look at these first port of call.

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
If you have the money for a trophy go for it. When you come to sell it on you'll get a similar price back..maybe a bit more if you hang on to it!
I've had every mk2 Renaultsport Clio and the trophy is just that bit better in every way to a standard one

Track 172 Cup
I have the money for a trophy just finding the right one that's the problem lol the supercharged one on ebay looms like a good car with the condition and miles but wondering if it would be worth putting it back to standard and flogging the charger (after running it for a few weeks to see what the charger is like obviously lol) should get a little bit back from that to make the car better value. Or there is a mint (according to owner) trophy with a turbo conversion on trophy.net and thought the same strip the turbo off and flog it or swap the engine for a mint one as I think the turbo one was forged and the car was up for 7k with low miles I have someone who could swap the engine out ( @bloke lol ) maybe use it in my track car.

dan's cast offs.
doubt you would want to sell the charger off it once you'd used it for a couple of weeks (unless it's been mapped by ktec)

Track 172 Cup
Just emailed the guy about the one with the mileage difference on the MOT and the advert just asked about the mileage and if the advert was correct just replied, sorry car is sold, wonder who bought it.

Track 172 Cup
I was looking at that one, just don't know why he would put pictures of the back seats not in it and I would have to buy a new steering wheel first thing lol that one on it at the minute is awful haha car itself doesn't look to bad I thought and only needs a few standard bit's (air box, steering wheel, not decided on exhaust depends what the PMS one is like) and try and have a look at the sachs as he does say that were last rebuilt in 2012. Not that far from me either. One to add to the short list.

I'm abit gutted I missed that black gold 182 for sale about a month ago that had been converted to a Trophy looked like a brilliant spec.

Track 172 Cup
Anyone know what DTM cars are like? Seem to have a few nice clio's advertised when I've been browsing and they have a 1 owner Trophy in, granted it's on 120k miles and I was looking for low miles lol, BUT what's to look for or would need replacing on a Clio with that many miles Just had Timing and Aux Belts, Dephaser, Service all done by DTM themselves ready for sale (apparently it has been looked after by Rentec and Mark Fish if that's worth anything). I think the fact it's 1 owner got my interest as I would assume its been looked after with someone keeping a car that long.

@bloke what do you think on a high miler like this? Due to price I could spend some getting stuff replaced (bushes, mounts and etc) http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...w,new&page=1&search-target=usedcars&logcode=p

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
I was looking at that one, just don't know why he would put pictures of the back seats not in it and I would have to buy a new steering wheel first thing lol that one on it at the minute is awful haha car itself doesn't look to bad I thought and only needs a few standard bit's (air box, steering wheel, not decided on exhaust depends what the PMS one is like) and try and have a look at the sachs as he does say that were last rebuilt in 2012. Not that far from me either. One to add to the short list.

I'm abit gutted I missed that black gold 182 for sale about a month ago that had been converted to a Trophy looked like a brilliant spec.

Ash's one? i see it in the flesh, was amazing and one of the best, spent a fotune on it

dan's cast offs.
i'd be more put off by the ktec map rather than the mileage:wink:

could be worth haggling chi down a bit on his trophy, got bodies on it.

BG 182
Anyone know what DTM cars are like? Seem to have a few nice clio's advertised when I've been browsing and they have a 1 owner Trophy in, granted it's on 120k miles and I was looking for low miles lol, BUT what's to look for or would need replacing on a Clio with that many miles Just had Timing and Aux Belts, Dephaser, Service all done by DTM themselves ready for sale (apparently it has been looked after by Rentec and Mark Fish if that's worth anything). I think the fact it's 1 owner got my interest as I would assume its been looked after with someone keeping a car that long.

@bloke what do you think on a high miler like this? Due to price I could spend some getting stuff replaced (bushes, mounts and etc) http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201506184436368?model=clio&radius=1500&keywords=Trophy&sort=default&make=renault&postcode=wa80pb&onesearchad=used,nearlynew,new&page=1&search-target=usedcars&logcode=p
Hi I've looked at dtm cars before they seem to have quite a lot of clios but never seem to sell any that trophy has been for sale for a while

Track 172 Cup
Ash's one? i see it in the flesh, was amazing and one of the best, spent a fotune on it

Yeah think that was the guys name, Looked a real nice car and yes also looked like it had a fortune spent on it with what he had done.

i'd be more put off by the ktec map rather than the mileage:wink:

could be worth haggling chi down a bit on his trophy, got bodies on it.

Spoke to Chi this afternoon, he's got someone interested in his trophy. Do you know the spec off the top of your head?

Luckily the one in the ad at DTM it's a standard engine not boosted so a trip to Chris should see it right and no boost to damage engine hopefully.

( @bloke might not get chance to call over tomorrow as my mum's been took in hospital so i'll be stuck running the family business tomorrow dealing with members of the public lol always has an entertaining outcome as I F%*king hate the public when I'm on the other side of the counter haha)

dan's cast offs.
am probably going to end up running round like a loon most of tomorrow, got to try and get a gearbox casing machined and get it all built up with a dog gear set and hopefully back in the car so could be a fun one!!

afik apart from the bodies it's standard? drives well though and is a decent straight one.

Ex 182 owner
The DTM car looks like it had its washer blanks filled and painted as it doesn't have any.