ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thinking of getting a 172 Cup

For thoughs who don't know me, I used to own a 182 Cup which I sold for a C2 VTS, which is now up for sale. I'm intending to get a 172 Cup on the cheap but I'm not 100% about a few things. Does the lack of 'driver aids' make much difference? Will I miss the A/C and other 'luxuries' which the 182 Cup came with? Or should I skip the Cup and just get a 172?

not at all, the 172 cup is awesome, drove my mates, and mine, and they are really similar.. if your are getting one, get the cup :D

Personally air con for me isn't good its just expensive to fix.
Zeons are nice
ABS is worth.

Depends what you want to do with the car I'd personally take a full fat for what I want a Cup would be if I did more driving in daylight and did less miles.

I drive about 5000 miles a year to work, and other usual pottering about in the area, then a few trips to france for booze and bike races.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
i dont for one minute regret buying mine over a full fat, from the outside they look better. And its always nice knowing they have the 'edge' over a normal 172...... he he he!!!!

abs is not a problam, geeez what did we all do before it was common (mid 90's onwards lol)!!!!

in farness the last car i had without Abs was a Ka, and that couldn't break the ton, so god knows what i'll do in a 170 bhp road rocket.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
well for me its not an issue at all, i'm going to get another when this one is fooked, love em!!!!

it'll feel the same as your 182cup imo, wheres a standard 172 might feel abit 'soft'

172 cup baby
got my 172 cup a week ago today,so i am biased...but drove a 182 with cup packs the other week......they seem all so similar but i never kaned the 182

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Gaz, send pics of ur cup, i forgot wot it looks like lowered and with a wheel refurb.

any good?
as it is now... new turinis, new mod coming soon........:cool:
DSC00882.jpg

DSC00888.jpg

DSC00873.jpg

as it was in the summer.... speedline 2020's

DSC00455.jpg

DSC00451.jpg

last xmas,

100_0348.jpg

dec03.jpg

summer 2005 (best pic)

000_0012.jpg

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
lol, it keeps on changing!!!!

the new mods should appear in the next week ;)

106 GTi
For thoughs who don't know me, I used to own a 182 Cup which I sold for a C2 VTS, which is now up for sale. I'm intending to get a 172 Cup on the cheap but I'm not 100% about a few things. Does the lack of 'driver aids' make much difference? Will I miss the A/C and other 'luxuries' which the 182 Cup came with? Or should I skip the Cup and just get a 172?

If you think you will miss it, get a late cup with climate control

Your cup is absolute mint gaz, when I get mine i'll know what mods to do.

Out of interest what coilovers are you using? The ones on my old 172 with bodies were FK's but seemed really firm. I want something a little softer.

abs is not a problam, geeez what did we all do before it was common (mid 90's onwards lol)!!!!
Do you work down in that complex bit down by Hampton roundabout? Just recognised the road.

It might not be needed and the mian reaosn for its use might be the reaosn for our pourer driving now adas but I'd have paid for it on my car for early moring/late nigh driving for the aditional safety it offers.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
yep i work for barlows electrical, ( the big unit at the bottom, you can see it from the road) the units in the pics are round the corner! As for the ABS, i had it on my old punto turbo, and from memory it only kicked in twice at most, doesnt bother me at all, as said previously, i'll get another methinks!!!

running h&r's on mine, love them, deffo the best mod on the car

yep i work for barlows electrical, ( the big unit at the bottom, you can see it from the road) the units in the pics are round the corner! As for the ABS, i had it on my old punto turbo, and from memory it only kicked in twice at most, doesnt bother me at all, as said previously, i'll get another methinks!!!
Nice easy drive to work then for you.

I agree I've only had ABS kick in a few time bit much like airbags I've only had them kick in once but nice to know there there.

Do you have much problem over speed bumps? H&R's are just ride height adjustable aren't they? fixed dampening?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
not at all, just take em steady and they are no problem. Yeah they are height adjustable, damping is fixed, but imo is spot on, not too hard, not too soft, but a 100% better than the gaz ones i used to have (they have adjustable damping..... in theory lol)

Clio172cup, Capri 3.9 V8
I would go for a cup, especially if you do trackdays.
Mine went on this year's Cannonball rally and went really well. mine is totally standard except catback exhaust panel filter and tinted windows (worth thinking about if you are doing alot of summer driving).

60915-cannonball8000bxl232-1.jpg

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
yeah, it can be a funny colour in different lights lol, lookin good