ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thinking of getting a 197

G/W 200 and project Vdub
How much do people think that i would get for my 182 55 reg with 15000 miles, iv seen a 05 182 for sale at a renault dealer for £9.995.

Golf R
yup, gone from a Trophy and FF182 to an R27 and have no complaints whatsoever. loving it more and more i drive it at the moment, had some great fun with the roundabouts of Milton Keynes this afternoon :)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
How much do people think that i would get for my 182 55 reg with 15000 miles, iv seen a 05 182 for sale at a renault dealer for £9.995.

Trade in at renault i'd have said 7.5-8 k ish? Private i'd have thought a good 8-8.5 k easy?? I want a 197 too, but going to save till spring i think. No finance etc then.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Its a step up in the fact that people went from an old golf to a new golf,not as raw but a better car

Clio 172 mk2
On looks alone I think the 197 is a good car

Haven't driven one but the only glitch from what I've read is the gearing with the sixth ratio being a little short for motorway driving

White 197
Our's is a 197 with the original gearbox and it "lives" on the motorway. The car is a bit noisy but not unbearable by any means.

Ive heard that the 197 is ever so slightly slower in a straight line than a 182 but they are v.gd on the twistys

The one I drove did feel slower, and the figures suggest as much. However, in reality there's probably nothing in it. Put it this way - no one in any 182 will be leaving you behind. Anywhere. The stabilty and grip of the 197 make the 182 feel like a skateboard.

White 197
Hi Roy, ours spends every day on the motorway and we don't have a problem with it. Yes it's a bit noisy but it's not unbearable by any means.

Hi Roy, ours spends every day on the motorway and we don't have a problem with it. Yes it's a bit noisy but it's not unbearable by any means.

Cheers. I appreciate that from an owner who lives with one. Unfortunately I felt like I needed earplugs at 90mph, but then the 182 is hardly a cruiser. I think this is why the Megane appeals so much - 6th is very tall. Geared for 180mph* IIRC.

* Geared, before anyone starts ;)

EDIT: BTW I live in Germany, so 90mph is quite slow anyway :)

Renaultsport clio 172 cup
The new generation of F4R engines consistently put out less than the quoted 197PS (according to several reputable car mags). That, with its added heft, higher power curve, apreciably less torque-per-ton and power per ton (even at 7500 RPM!) and it's higher centre of gravity make it feel comparibly flacid, less focused and therefore it has not been as well recieved as previous hot clios. With the aforementioned extra 20% weight gain, they should have stuck the megane 225's engine in to keep up with it's competitors. An entirely non-biased opinion, i think you'll agree.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
The new generation of F4R engines consistently put out less than the quoted 197PS (according to several reputable car mags). That, with its added heft, higher power curve, apreciably less torque-per-ton and power per ton (even at 7500 RPM!) and it's higher centre of gravity make it feel comparibly flacid, less focused and therefore it has not been as well recieved as previous hot clios. With the aforementioned extra 20% weight gain, they should have stuck the megane 225's engine in to keep up with it's competitors. An entirely non-biased opinion, i think you'll agree.

Horse s**t.

RS 172Cup(SOLD); R26 Meg
when i drove an r27 i have to admit I did feel the driving position was a little taller than my 172cup, i felt like i was more ontop of the car than in it.

Although i wouldn't have said it was any the worse for it, it felt better planted to the road with a far better level of refinement but did need more of a windup before it really got going. Great engine note though.

The main thing that put me off it and the reason i opted for an R26 was 6th gear, i just wish they'd made it longer; as i spend so much time on the motorway.

Turbo LY R27
I used to have a 182 and now have a r27. I dont understand why people say its not as raw as the others coz it is. Dont no if you drove a s**t example but mine pulls forever, the torque is awsome pins you back in the seat and just keeps climbing all the way. mid range is better than the 182 by far and you dont get stuck between gears like the 182 used to. Just my opinion tho!

No one come back and say im biased coz thats b*llocks, i obviously woudnt of bought it if it wasnt a better car.

Ill admit, when they first came out i hated the 197 and couldnt find anything i like about it, but as time went on i love everything about it and after driving a couple had to get one. Its one of those cars you have to drive to see what all the fuss is about otherwise you cant say much when it comes to comparing them imo. Just my thoughts :)

Renaultsport clio 172 cup
I wasn't specifically talking about the higher centre of gravity, but more the combination of all the aforementioned characteristics. Quite a well-measured, carefully constructed and informative response you made though superfastdan.
I'm not saying it's a bad car but they could've made it better. If you look at it's current competitors, all, bar none, are turbocharged. (excuse the pun)
But, it's substantially better made, more spacious than the earlier models and i think they look pretty cool as well.

White 197
I suppose the reason the car is bigger/heavier is because of the ever increasing demand for better safety and the NCAP rating. So I think we can safely say that the Clio 2XX will be bigger and heavier than the 197.

So sadly unless they had put a blown or larger capacity engine in the current car it was probably never going to be as quick as the lighter 172/182.

Just all my opinion.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
If they released a new 197 (presumably called a 225 though heh) with the Meggy engine and an LSD I'd be down the dealer and selling the Vee the same day the news was released.

Dan

RS 172Cup(SOLD); R26 Meg
If they released a new 197 (presumably called a 225 though heh) with the Meggy engine and an LSD I'd be down the dealer and selling the Vee the same day the news was released.

Dan

ditto, couldn't agree more.

^^^^ Never going to happen, unless the Megane raises the bar further. Because no one will buy the Megane.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
It would rock though wouldn't it :)

Surprised someone like K-Tec hasn't knocked one out yet...

Dan

I'm not saying it's a bad car but they could've made it better. If you look at it's current competitors, all, bar none, are turbocharged. (excuse the pun)
Who do you deem its competition?

Dan

They won't for a while it will steal 225 sales cannot have the lesser car being quicker.

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
Who do you deem its competition?

Dan

They won't for a while it will steal 225 sales cannot have the lesser car being quicker.

But the Clio is already almost as quick as the meggy.

Meggy's are the smart mans choice as they drive better, more toys, look sex, much more tuning potential, tubo, comfy and have a big sexy a$$ lol

But the Clio is already almost as quick as the meggy.

Meggy's are the smart mans choice as they drive better, more toys, look sex, much more tuning potential, tubo, comfy and have a big sexy a$$ lol

Almost but not the same plus its HP whcih sell them cannot have a Clio with 225 and the Megan with the same realy.