ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

thinking of getting new cams for 182

clio sport 182
are they worth getting would they make a big difference anyone had the cams changed cheers for any help

A few members have had a varierty of cams fitted.
Personally I wouldn't bother you need other bits to get the best but even with cams head work manifold work remap etc you'll only get about 210hp.

Difference on there own with a remap even with the manifold reworking (about £170) is still only going to see about 195hp or so. Being as good cams are £1.1k or so fiited and remap is £400 or so its not cheap fo the the minimal gains but everyone has there own reaosn/wanting to do different things to cars.

I have AWT ones on mine. About 20bhp and 30lb/ft extra.

I would recommend having exhaust inlet match and a maxogen first and you will also need a remap.

Billet cams are 600£ + fitting so they arent cheap +400£ for remap.

M2 Competition
I think they'd work best in conjunction with an exhaust/ decat/ air filter and remap mate.

Edit- you two buggers beat me ^^ ;)

on their own, i personally wouldnt as other areas have to be optimised first.

With the current stock engine having breathing restrictions, increasing the lobe area will not see large gains.

182 cup pack
BenR said:
yup, first batch arrives soon.

Hi there Ben,

I'm thinking for my next tuning moves and your cams is one of them(other option would be Schrick ones)

I'd like to ask you some questions though...

The setup is: K&N panel+modified airbox,remmap and inlet manifold(when it arrives)

I have a Maxogen in the closet :D (when I install the inlet,I'll retry the Maxogen,along with a remmap)

If I get the cams(+ a remmap for them),would it be ok for 200bhp ?? How would the torque be ? F.e would it be better accros the whole revs?I'm now at 21,5 kg so after all those would it be at 23 kg ?

I have not touched the exhaust yet;and I'm thinking of getting a decat or a cat(probably the second cause I dont want to have any problems with the MOT) and leaving the middle and back boxes as they are(wouldn't want noice)

Thanks on behalf Ben..

throttle bodied mk2 172
MarkM said:
I have AWT ones on mine. About 20bhp and 30lb/ft extra.

I would recommend having exhaust inlet match and a maxogen first and you will also need a remap.

Billet cams are 600£ + fitting so they arent cheap +400£ for remap.
you have 182 with 205 bhp. so maxogen and exhaust system gave you only 3 bhp,is that what you saying?

throttle bodied mk2 172
and also you have got inlet matched aswell.so exhaust system with high flow cat=1 bhp,viper or maxogen =1 bhp,inlet matched=1 bhp,cams=20 bhp.all these on a 182 is 205 bhp.:S

throttle bodied mk2 172
some people dont earn their cash easily.thats why please be careful when you write power figures.cams maybe give 10ish bhp.

the cams used in the 172 and 182's are more wild than say the F7 series engine, so don't expect massive gains as they simply wont produce them. it will still make a notable difference, especially where torque is concerned. worth the money getting a set of BenR's cams, I had his first set for my Williams... amazing is all I can say. He's deffo the man

ahmet said:
and also you have got inlet matched aswell.so exhaust system with high flow cat=1 bhp,viper or maxogen =1 bhp,inlet matched=1 bhp,cams=20 bhp.all these on a 182 is 205 bhp.:S

It doesnt work like that though does it which is the classic mistake made when adding up what bhp you got from your mods

So my exhaust made 5bhp my air filter made 3bhp my remap made 10bhp my cams made 10bhp my inlet made 5bhp my headwork made 8bhp so I gained 41bhp! I now have 221bhp without TBs which everyone knows is not true.

Never make a sum of the parts it wont add up.

I think decent cams and a remap would make around 20 - 25bhp with exhaust, filter, yadder yadder......

I would recommend cams but only if you are keeping the car for a few years you will notice the difference.

throttle bodied mk2 172
i know what you saying mark but the thing is without headwork you have 205 bhp.so exhaust=5,airfilter=3,cams=10,inlet=5 total 23.182+23=205 which you have.as you know that remap doesnt give bhp ,only optimize your mods.for example if you didnt have omex with that mods you would run lean and maybe loose power.when i install my viper first i lost power,after remap unichip i gain more than before.

Renaultsport Clio 182
Love the sums, dont forget that a 182 only has 179 to begin with, unless you are talking PS and not BHP!