ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thinking of selling the 172cup for a 182ff with cup packs??

PH2 172
Iv been thinking of selling up my 172 Cup for a 182 With the cup packs on it. Its got alot less milege newer and is well priced but unsure if i should do it!!

Arctic 182
i went from a 172ff to a 182ff and i love my 182,it just feels noticably diffrent,smoother and abit more redefined,but test drive will be a good idea

PH2 172
Yea iv found a nice black 182 the milege is really low newer looks really smart but the only thing thats holding me back is its black will it be a b*****d to keep clean and will i see all the scratches and marks. or is there a easy way to keep the car not looking all scratched??

Arctic 182
Dont carplan or autoglym do a thing called NANO Technology where the wax actually repels the dirt?But when black cars are clean they looks brilliant!

PH2 172
Whats Nano techology?? yea they do look really mint when there clean and shiny but also show alot of scracthes what to do??

I thought I was doing the same as you're planning when I traded my Ph1 172 in for a 182... but in fact all I did was waste £5000 as the Ph1 172 was a much better drivers car than my 182.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Cup is still the best looking RS 172/182 in the range. Shame it's got pisch lights and naff interior...Nothing that seats and xenon's wouldn't sort.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I swapped my cup packed 172 for a 182 with cups packs, actually prefered the drive of the 172.

Clio 200 Black and White
Funny, I have a 182 FF with cup and aero packs) and am toying with the idea of trading it in for a 172 Cup - just seems a little more hardcore, being that it's a lot lighter and lacks ABS and ESP.

The gearing on the 182 is a fair bit longer too, so the 172 should feel a fair bit faster in a straight line.

That said, the 182 is a much nicer place to be (climate control, cruise, decent stereo and nice interior). Plus it has a better chassis (stiffer springs, superior dampers, thicker ARB's and stronger hubs). Better engine note too :)

At the end of the day, it's swings and roundabouts and on a decent mountain road I doubt you'd really be able to feel the difference between 172/182/cup/trophy etc. They're all fantastic cars that get better the harder you drive them :approve:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I swapped my cup packed 172 for a 182 with cups packs, actually prefered the drive of the 172.
Cup packed 172 Rollo? Really ;)
I'd see a 182 as a side step for a fair amount of cash, but you would be getting a newer, better equipped car. The only upgrade driving wise would be a Trophy, but if you don't like the colour, thats a non-starter.
Personally, having had a 172 with xenons, then a 182cup without, I prefer the non xenon car. Upgrade the bulbs (£20) and they are just as bright, actually give slighter wider coverage, and are a LOT cheaper if they break.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Ph1 is the best (in my biased opinion;)). Hardly any heavier than the cup, but you get to keep the toys (Air con, ABS), throttle cable (lots nicer to use). For the cost of a cup, you could get a ph1 172, decent coilovers, and (bar the looks) you have a better car IMO.

Renaultsport 200
You know I have thought about a trophy before but I was not struck on the colour. I had only ever seen one on pictures before but then I saw one in the flesh and it looked wonderful.

If you havent seen one, make a point of tracking one down and going to see it.

Remember - It costs nothing to look. =)

clio trophy No56
I would either get a Trophy or keep the cup. I have owned a FF182 and thought it was mint but the Trophy is so much better and more fun to drive.
I didnt like red cars before i bought it but wasnt going to let the colour put me off, they also clean up really well, even with just a wash never mind a polish and wax. Red rules!

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Funny, I have a 182 FF with cup and aero packs) and am toying with the idea of trading it in for a 172 Cup - just seems a little more hardcore, being that it's a lot lighter and lacks ABS and ESP.

The gearing on the 182 is a fair bit longer too, so the 172 should feel a fair bit faster in a straight line.

That said, the 182 is a much nicer place to be (climate control, cruise, decent stereo and nice interior). Plus it has a better chassis (stiffer springs, superior dampers, thicker ARB's and stronger hubs). Better engine note too :)

At the end of the day, it's swings and roundabouts and on a decent mountain road I doubt you'd really be able to feel the difference between 172/182/cup/trophy etc. They're all fantastic cars that get better the harder you drive them :approve:

Is that right?

I thought they were the same?

182 Trophy (#27/500)
I think you should stick with the cup too. If its fun that your after i dont think you can do much better!!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Is that right?

I know the ph1 has different gearing, wasn't sure on the cups. That doesn't make much of a difference (the gearing) it's the weight that makes the biggest difference.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Is that right?

All phase 2's have shorter gearing than the Phase 1. This was due the the 172 Phase 2 being heavier and a bit softer than the phase 1. The Cup keeps the shorter ratios, and weighs less than a phase 1.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
i actually did what your thinking....

23062007053-1.jpg

I went from the Cup on the right, to the 182 on the left. Had the Cup for three years before the 182. The Cup had 74k on the clock, the 182 when i got it 18k. Some how the 182 just didnt hit the spot. It was a bit strangled (could have been nannied from new by previous owner). It did free up in the 6 months i had it though. Xenons are WAAAY overrated, my Cup Halogens were far better with Osram night breakers. The projectors arent focused enough on the Clios imo..... Also, dont do Black, its a BLOODY nighmare!!!! I sold it for a 197.

MCS R56
If you do decide to swap, my mate is selling his 182 Cup. PM for more details, if you are interested.

Clio 200 Black and White
All phase 2's have shorter gearing than the Phase 1. This was due the the 172 Phase 2 being heavier and a bit softer than the phase 1. The Cup keeps the shorter ratios, and weighs less than a phase 1.

Right you are - hence should feel a little quicker in a straight line (slightly higher power to weight, plus shorter gearing, should equal greater straight line punch).

Did you find any difference between the chassis of the 172 cup and 182 FF? I would have thought the 182 would be a little more adjustable (slightly more lift-off rotation) due to the stiffer rear ARB, was that the case?

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
I would keep the Cup... sod wasting all that money for some thing that in real terms is going to be hardly any diffrent to what you have

Clio 200 Black and White
Keep the cup and spend the money on fuel and tyres...

Whenever I consider trading my Clio in for something else, I head for the nearest B-road. Never fails to remind me why I love it so much.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter which RS Clio you have - the most important thing is to go out and drive it in anger :D (with due caution and regard for the highway code of course).

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member

He is comparing a 172 CUP and a 182 FF CUP NOT a Ph1, of which I said can someone confirm his statement that a 172CUP and 182 FF have different gearings as I didn't think this was the case .... Next time, read slower ;)

320d

100% Incorrect. The 172 Cup, Ph2 172 and all veriaties of 182 have exactly the same gearbox (except the cups has a speedo drive) and ratio's.

The ph1 172 has longer gearing, this had to be shortened to keep the ph2's the same 0-60 time due to the extra weight.