ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

thinking of selling the clio to get a meg sport.

ibiza cupra
starting to think its time to make the next step and get somthing a bit more grown up (but not too much) and im thinking the meg would be a perfect choice. has anyone else made this move and if so what were your feelings on doing it as im still very much loving the clio but just feel like its time for a change.

Cayman S Edition 1
Hi mate

Funnily enough we're selling our 225 if you're interested. They're great cars but its down to the individual, so difficault to say. My wife's had the 225 for 18months but fancied a change.

ibiza cupra
lol wouldnt be for a little while yet mate as ive would have to sort out funds and selling my clio first as well as sort out a few little bits on it. if im gona do it, ill probly start looking in the next month or so. would only be the cheaper end of them too. £6k or there abouts as that would be my limit.

6k wont be enough fella, well maybe for a really shagged one, that will need 1.5k minimum spending on it to right it.

people forget that the cars may be cheap but running and upkeep is ALOT more than you'd expect.

my advice, save another 2k.. then look at changing.

i find that people who make the move are usually tempted to revert back to the clio...
and naith is correct, up the budget for a neat one.

182 Trophy
225's are megga, different league imho, my dads got a standard one and a mate of mine has a stage 2'd one.... both very fast but jesus christ stage 2 is mental, he's running at york on monday and hoping for 13's, he ran a 14.5 bog standard, 14.3 after the forge fmic so fingers crossed i think he'll easily hit 13.9 or less.

comfort is much better, they handle better than 172/182s if you get cup packed ones or cups, long journeys are a breeze as 80/90 in 6th is about 3krpm.

Black R26, Iceburg 172
I recently made the transition and would definitely recommend it. I have had a 172 and a 172 cup and now have an R26 megane which has the stage 2 remap 260 hp and 330 lbft. The LSD on the R26 is a must have in my opinion the cornering grip is astonishing. Also got recaros same as trophy, climate control, cruise control and all the goodies you could ever need. One thing i would say is i think the clio was more fun but megane is an absolute weapon especially with the stage 2 remap its savage quick once boost comes on far far quicker than the 172 was. I get about 29mpg in the meg was about 34 in 172 if thats anything that bothers you and obviously tyres etc are more expensive but its a definite step up from the clio. Just wish it had AWD/RWD sometimes as with stage 2 the wheels spin up in 1st/2nd/3rd if there is more than a speck of water on the road :approve:

BG182®
I've been in this boat for a while now. Can't decide if I want to keep the Clio or not. I think in the long run a test drive is a must.

Stupid thing is though, I'm in this mind twist because of a test drive. Since the day I drove one, I wanted one :(

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Suprised to say that you can get what you want for £6k if you're not picky. Looking on PH with price low-high on RS Megane and there are literally a couple to choose from. For me, I'd want either an F1 or R26. You would be getting an old 225 which maybe a big dissapointment coming from the Clio. No-one raved about the Megane until the R26 came along really. I'd try one before deciding anything, maybe even a few.

ibiza cupra
would love an r26 but they are a bit out of my price as they are starting at about £8-9k. mpg wouldnt really bother me as i get 29mpg out of the clio but what are they like reliability wise as it would be my everyday workhorse. what are the differences performance wise compared between say a 54 plate meg 225 and an r26?

ibiza cupra
so its nothing a set of coilies wouldnt fix?
*edit* just looked at the price of them and it would be the same amount in the end anyway lol.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I've driven them all, I'd have an R26 (nearly got one last year). Personally, I prefer the drive of the 1*2's over all the other (standard) megs. I'm hoping to have a shot in one on V3's soon, so doubt the owner will happily swap for a short burst;).

ibiza cupra
no its more than that, and a set of coilovers to equal it will cost you a grand.
yeah, thats what i was thinking when i had a look for some. looks like i best get saving lol. also, ive been looking at the stage 2 maps. do you have to have anything else upgraded for this or can you just have it on a bog standard engine? dont mean to sound stupid but i dont really know anything about upgrading them.

best off looking on MS.net if you are serious, best to uprate intercooler, zorst and filter if you have stg 2. some have injectors done too

ibiza cupra
yeah, ive joined up on there. just waiting for them to activate it.
they have different bumpers too dont they?

Porsche Boxster987S
^^^Any 182 ive had a play with in the B roads , its never got away from me.

I went from the 182 last year to the meg. At first i thought i had made a mistake by getting the F1 in place of the 182 but 5 months i am so glad i kept it. In a different league completely to the 182. You hear a lot of the 182 owners on here saying that their 182s does well against the meg to 100 etc etc and that theres not much in it. Nonsense imo , its quicker and noticeably. Better for long journey as said , will tick over at 3krpm at 90 and pulls hard to silly numbers. Cant recommend it enough. Just glad i decided to keep mine:)

Mini Cooper S sport
I went from a 182 to an R26 and have never regretted it, I LOVE it. Faster, more comfortable and corners like an absolute b**ch.

Make sure you get LY too :cool:

ibiza cupra
I went from a 182 to an R26 and have never regretted it, I LOVE it. Faster, more comfortable and corners like an absolute b**ch.

Make sure you get LY too :cool:
i think ill probly go for a black one hehe. just somthing about black cars that look so nice when they are clean. makes all the hard work worth while and there is nothing worse that slogging over your car all day for it to look no different than when you started it.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I've had a race with a 225 and tbh, irrespective of what you have said there was nothing in it. This was against my old 172. The 172 had some weight savings, i.e. rear wheel out, turinis, Recaros and rear bench removed from the rear, but no performance mods. I was also two up. The do was from a rolling start at 40 in 2nd upto 100. He was trying before you say not as he was attempting to not let me past as I was going for an undertake.

Porsche Boxster987S
every 182 is giving out diff power as standard , but the 182s ive come against (theres been a few) , none have come close to 100 tbh:S

Cayman S Edition 1
Currently owning a 225 ( until we sell it!), a Trophy and a RB182FF with cup pack (and used to own a 197), I've now had a pretty good insight in to the different RS's out there and I think its important to realise its not all about 0-60 or who's faster through the "twistys!". Each car has a different offering from comfort, performance, features etc, so that needs to be considered if you're looking for a different motor such as going from a 182 to a 225 or 230. Personally, I prefer the Trophy out of all of them, but thats becuase I like that driving experience I get from it. However the 225 has been a blast on longer journeys as it offers the comfort, but with the extra grunt when you want to fly past that annoying micra on the motorway. No it doesn't handle like a 182, but its a different car offering a different driving experience.

The 225 was my wife's everyday car and she's had a few races with 182's which resulted in losing them in the rear view mirror when it gets to serious speeds.

So all I can say is, decide what you want in a car first. Unless you're minted, you can't have it all;)

BMW M5 & E36
I had a 182 for just over a year, now got a 225 Trophy and mega pleased with it, certainly can't see myself swapping back.

BMW M5 & E36
I'm averaging 29/30mpg with pretty mixed driving, I only got 32/33 in the 182 so not a great deal of difference really.

Porsche Boxster987S
I'm averaging 29/30mpg with pretty mixed driving, I only got 32/33 in the 182 so not a great deal of difference really.

jeeeez , im 21mpg the now. Motorways its bout 32mpg. Hard driving will see low teens though.

Not that much worse than the 182 danny:)

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Im suprised at that!

I love how reasonable the F4R is tbh, this was one of the factors (and insurance) as to why i never got a CTR :eek:

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
LOL, very true! They make such a decent used buy now!

Only other turbo hot hatch id consider against an F1/R26 is the FRS Mk1, epic chariots

Z4
LOL, very true! They make such a decent used buy now!

Only other turbo hot hatch id consider against an F1/R26 is the FRS Mk1, epic chariots

Welcome to my world lol.

Deciding what to change my tt for is a bigger decision than I thought...r26? mk1 frs? e46 m3? dc5 teg? s2k? Argh!

ibiza cupra
think ive pretty much made up my mind as to get one now but just gona have to get a few things sorted first, so if anyone is going to be interested in a 172 in the next few months ;)