ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thinner/Modded front number plate

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
I have had my smaller front plate on for ages now 6 months plus easily but today i was driving to my mates and was confonted by the 5/0 helping at an RTA.

He then signal'd me to pull in, in front of his marked car, i wound my window down and he asked me if my front plate was modded, i said yes its slightly thinner than standard.

So then told me it was illegal and i should put my standard plate back on to avoid being stopped again and being given a ticket.

He never gave me a producer or anything it was all just verbal, he wasnt being a c**k or anything he was quite polite.
So what do you recon?
Will he have marked this down on any sort of system that will register that he told me about it?

S4 Avant
Re: Thinner/Moded front number plate

If you've been collared for it, regardless of whether or not it's been registered, get it sorted.

If you don't do anything about it, it's sods law that you'll get the same officer pull you over 2 weeks later, and slap your wrists much harder.

I left mine on, but he was just mentioning it in a different scenario. Saying that, I've not seen him since...

Clio1.2 16v & LR Defender

I left mine on, but he was just mentioning it in a different scenario. Saying that, I've not seen him since...

you'll meet him tomrrow now...

53 Clio's & counting

iv had a local do that to me too, said do you know your plates illegal, i said yup lol, he told me to change it, but i havent, that was a good 6 months ago

course il get collared tomorrow now iv written this

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT

What the hell is the point in a small plate? looks gay anyway.

How would you feel if someone crashed into you and drove off and you couldn't read their plate because it was too small or in Italic writing?

53 Clio's & counting

i like the look of my plate, makes the front look more agressive

What the hell is the point in a small plate? looks gay anyway.

How would you feel if someone crashed into you and drove off and you couldn't read their plate because it was too small or in Italic writing?
no they dont...:S btw its the front plate...fail.

M2 Competition

You'll only get collared if the same officer stops you again (or his crewmate, lol)

Or... if you get stopped by an officer thats interested in giving tickets for dodgy number plates.

£30 ticket, no points, risk is yours.

Hardly a 'Fail' you fail wh0re. Just think they look crap and not worth the risk of a ticket.
clearly not everyone agrees with you hence the amount of people on here with them... as for the fail... if someone is driving off then what the front plate looks like is irrelevant since you'd be looking at the back... each to their own though.

Williams 3

A plate is illegal only if the size of the letters, spacing of the letters or style of the letters are non-standard.

That means that the plate can be cut to nigh-on any particular size as long as there is 11mm margin between the letters and the edge of the plate, as long as the lettering all remains legal.

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/v796.pdf

Da

Less

Mine is cut down but retains legal font, style and spacing of letters with the required 11mm border...

CanonCarPics020-2.jpg

CanonCarPics012.jpg

Just to show it can be done :)

Audi TT
yes but these front plates don't conform. The font is smaller than standard and most don't have 11mm margin top and bottom.

*edit* bar his above although I'd be wanting mine to fill the space so can't see the point in cutting that down width ways as now it doesn't fit :s

Last edited:
  172 Cup, AX trackbeast.

Mine is cut down but retains legal font, style and spacing of letters with the required 11mm border...

CanonCarPics020-2.jpg

CanonCarPics012.jpg

Where'd you get them done? I wouldn't mind having mine done like that.

P

Pullyboy848

Yeh they look good....i wouldnt mind some :) what about the rear plate is that the same?

koi

Audi S1

CanonCarPics020-2.jpg

CanonCarPics012.jpg

Don't you need the codes on the bottom right to keep it legal though?

Clio RS 200
Had mine for nearly 3 years now and only stopped once for the spacing, never changed it as it gets me alot of work....lucky I guess.....:)

Should read. MA51 CAD

now spaced MA51C AD

Yes. Daz's is not legal.
It's only if a plate was made after a certain date that the plate has to have postcodes and British Standard (I think?) codes on it.

If it was already on the car when you got it, and you can only assume it was made like that, how were you to know? ;)

Da

Less

Where'd you get them done? I wouldn't mind having mine done like that.

www.fancyplates.com can't remember the exact width dimensions but it all depends on how many digits your plate has. The height of the plate is just 22mm greater than a standard digit.

Yeh they look good....i wouldnt mind some :) what about the rear plate is that the same?

Haven't altered the rear plate...yet...am undecided about that one due to the stupid size recess and screw holes etc.

Don't you need the codes on the bottom right to keep it legal though?

Yes. Daz's is not legal.

Correct, it isn't 100% legal, still for the ANPR and a glance by PC plod it would appear legal and is totally legible unlike some of the crap we see on the roads of today.