ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

This is relay pissing me off now. (Clicking mega fast)

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
This one, injection relay I believe.

BB8B8642-E853-4035-8848-0EEECCD11624.jpeg

Earths are good, checked in several different ways.
It's a new loom but seems to be about the same as the old one. Kinda doing my head in diagnosing it now as I keep chasing one problem away and getting 2 in return!

What should I be checking? The green wire seems to be the switched one and is giving out 5V. I've checked with several relays and they all do the same.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Things what I've done;
Changed the loom for another one (apparently also from a ph2 172)
Cleaned all the earths
Checked the injector earths
Checked the relay earth and also tapped into it which has stopped the clicking.

It hasn't solved the solid red light or pump not pruning issue. I can only start it with the relay removed and a can of brake cleaner.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Jesus I must have been tired last night, thats not the white plug I was on about. That plug comes on an earlier loom so you'll have a later 03 onwards engine loom. Not entirely sure what it does but a CAN test with CLIP might bring something up

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah I figured you meant the main white one.

It's a f**king weird one. Seems I can have the fuel pump working so long as the injection system isn't powered.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Aye that is a weird one haha, I can't remember what that grey plug energises now. Its defintely something to do with starting the car though so that will likely be your issue

@Inferno182 send this man a late PH2 engine loom👀😂

Inferno182

ClioSport Trader
  172 Track M3RS Track
Aye that is a weird one haha, I can't remember what that grey plug energises now. Its defintely something to do with starting the car though so that will likely be your issue

@Inferno182 send this man a late PH2 engine loom[emoji102][emoji23]

I’ve got a 182 loom on the shelf.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Changed the ecu, uch and key today after not having a chance to look at this for months. Relay no longer going bonkers so that's good

Immob light was flashing like mad so wouldn't start. Went out for a few hours and when we came home I thought I'd try again. Solid red light.

I mean this from the bottom of my heart when I say f**k CLIOS.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Changed the ecu, uch and key today after not having a chance to look at this for months. Relay no longer going bonkers so that's good

Immob light was flashing like mad so wouldn't start. Went out for a few hours and when we came home I thought I'd try again. Solid red light.

I mean this from the bottom of my heart when I say f**k CLIOS.
Check your earths

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah, it's your issue now.

So you've got a starting point, I got it with a solid red light and blowing fuses for fun.
Changed the loom, no red light issues but fuel pump relay going bonkers and had the choice of pump or injectiors.
Changed the ecu, uch and key to lead to a fast immob light.
Went out for a few hours, whilst I was gone the f**k you gremlins visited and changed it to a constant red light.

Long story short, f**k cars.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, it's your issue now.

So you've got a starting point, I got it with a solid red light and blowing fuses for fun.
Changed the loom, no red light issues but fuel pump relay going bonkers and had the choice of pump or injectiors.
Changed the ecu, uch and key to lead to a fast immob light.
Went out for a few hours, whilst I was gone the f**k you gremlins visited and changed it to a constant red light.

Long story short, f**k cars.
So it fired up after changing the ECU, but just had a loud relay?
All of the ecu, uch and key are a matching set?
The decoder ring usually gives the flashing inmob light, but i think it's often just a bad key battery rather than a faulty ring. Try changing this first then unlock and lock the car with the key in the ignition before cycling it again for a minute through the ignition sequence (without actually starting the car). Did you only get the one with the new uch?

Next up check you're getting 5v at the ring and then I'd be going over all the earths again, including hunting for damaged/worn wires between ecu and big white plug.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Ignition stage two for 60 seconds
Ignition off (but key kept in) for 30 seconds
Ignition stage two for 30 seconds
Key removed, count to five, then try to fire up

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
So it fired up after changing the ECU, but just had a loud relay? The fuel pump relay was clicking at a rate of about 6 per second, it meant the fuel pump wouldn't run but I could start the car on brake clean being squirted in. With the relay out the injectors would run but the pump wouldn't.
All of the ecu, uch and key are a matching set? Yup
The decoder ring usually gives the flashing inmob light, but i think it's often just a bad key battery rather than a faulty ring. Try changing this first then unlock and lock the car with the key in the ignition before cycling it again for a minute through the ignition sequence (without actually starting the car). Did you only get the one with the new uch? Yeah done all that.

Next up check you're getting 5v at the ring and then I'd be going over all the earths again, including hunting for damaged/worn wires between ecu and big white plug. The new loom was checked before fitting for condition and all seems good. The fact that is has fired albeit with a spray of brake clean gives me some hope but not much

I'll give that a bash in the morning, I've disconnected the battery and simply cannot be arsed going out in the rain for more disappointment 😂 thanks though, I'll update tomorrow.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
It's not anymore. Read it again!
That was the previous loom which had many many shorts in it.

Now it has a good loom, good ecu, good uch, good key, good relays and fuses and still WONT f**king RUN!!!!!1!122!111'53224211!!!!!

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
It's not anymore. Read it again!
That was the previous loom which had many many shorts in it.

Now it has a good loom, good ecu, good uch, good key, good relays and fuses and still WONT f**king RUN!!!!!1!122!111'53224211!!!!!
I had this when I changed my battery and it was as if it lost the communication between everything so gave me a solid red light.

I just kept unlocking the car and putting the key in the barrel and it eventually coded together

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Ignition stage two for 60 seconds
Ignition stage two for 30 seconds
Key removed, count to five, then try to fire up

Well, tried it. No fire of any sort. Yet.

I've now left the battery connected and will try again later

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
It only f**king runs!!

Fiddled with plugs then the tb started making a whining noise, still wouldn't start, hit it with a hammer and it stopped making the noise then started up 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Still plenty to do it but at least it's now worthwhile doing.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Sorry I didnt put 't**t the throttle body with a big f**k off hammer' in my instructions.

Youre getting charged for my wasted time, invoice is on its way.

My theory is it's not worked for so long and been outside the whole time that it's seizing up 😂