ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

This will reveal the age of some gamers on here - if you remember this!

Megane Trophy #147
my gran bought me the spectrum with the reggae tape deck from a second hand shop for like a fiver when i was in primary school not knowing i already had the mighty sega mega drive and was too busy playin golden axe and streets of rage lol

visualize whirled pe
I had a vic 20 which set fire to my parents living room carpet, before this I had a ZX81 with the memory expansion and a few really simple games on tape, most didnt even have any sound.
Does anyone remember the Dragon 32?

BMW Z4 3.0i
Commodore_Plus_4.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_Plus/4

My first ever computer my parents bought off my older step-sister. I had this for a few years before I got a new Commodore 64. ...and , man, did that take a lot of begging for. Those things weren't cheap!

Monaro VXR
Remember when my mum got my dad a spectrum ZX2+. Think I was only around 3 or 4 when he got that. Was ace back in the day though. He had an intellivision before that but one of the puppies decided to pee on it.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I had a vic 20 which set fire to my parents living room carpet, before this I had a ZX81 with the memory expansion and a few really simple games on tape, most didnt even have any sound.

MarkCup does. He was going to go for the Dragon 64, but opted for the ORIC instead. ;)

I remember having a Vectrex like this (1981/2 i think)

vectrex.jpg

^^^^ - I think that one takes the medal on this thread. Looks like some form of manky vending machine hybrid. Never heard of that one!

D.

172 - m3 evo
my 1st ever computer was the commodore 64, used to play ledge games like paperboy and frogger, then it was onto the master system, mega drive and so on and so forth.

mad to think quite how far things have moved on though, compare the 64 to a ps3 lolz

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
my 1st ever computer was the commodore 64, used to play ledge games like paperboy and frogger, then it was onto the master system, mega drive and so on and so forth.

mad to think quite how far things have moved on though, compare the 64 to a ps3 lolz

That's what always get me. The memory in our Atari was 128 bytes according to Wikipedia. Convert the number of bytes that I have in my PC at home, and that's 4,294,967,296 bytes.

Same with the CPU. The Atari ran at 1.19Mhz and the CPU on my PC is 3,200Mhz per core - straight out of the box.

I don't think there's any other area where so much progression is made in such a short space of time. Things that were astronomically expensive a few years ago, we simply take for granted today.

D.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
One of the processors I use only has 16 bytes of RAM!

The main processor I use has 32 kilobytes of RAM, massive! :)

Megane Mk4
Started off with one of these..
sinclair_spectrum_p.jpg

Then,

Sinclair_Spectrum+3_Large.jpg

(Should've kept both tbh)

Then from the Spectrum +3 to this..

amiga_500_1122296846.jpg

Then from the Amiga 500+ to ..
atari_520st_1.jpg

then to a 'fake Amiga' ;)
amiga600.jpg

Then, went from that to 4 of these .. (all with Hard drives of various sizes installed by yours trully) ;)

a1200_big.jpg

Scirocco GT 2.0

We had one of those! lol remember playing outrun on it!

My parents had a commadore 64 before I was born then the Atari 500 then a couple of the above then we had a sega mega drive, then a N64, Sega Dreamcast along with a PS1 then a PS2 now a PS3..

Last edited:

Lee

BMW M2C
I've still got my Coleco Vision in the loft at home. The only problem with it was that the games were silly money at the time. Some of them were arcade perfect though.

Check out Zaxxon, not bad for 1982! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGIAKKsNylU&feature=related

Smurf: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl5iWQOojvk&feature=related

Popeye: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BM6plBJLTU&feature=related

And my moms favourite. Ladybug: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U2eSjHye-c&feature=related

300px-ColecoVision.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ColecoVision

I've still got my Amiga 500 Batman pack in the loft also.

Last edited:

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member

Dont remember that but I remember playing Horris Goes Skiing to death:D

182-racing-blue

I started with this:
c164.jpg

then on to this:
23733484__1210534141__1__1-d5a09acb.jpg

then this:
Amstrad_CPC464_qjgenth.jpg

then this:
screengems.png

hpic2.gif

I'm very proud of the generation I grew up in and can honestly say that I wouldn't want it any other way.

Makes me laugh when you see school kids walk down the road playing H2O on their phones.

I paid 189 quid for my first phone in 1994:

Motorola_m301_one2one.jpg

What have kids today got to look back on in 20 years time? not a lot. Too much of a throw away culture. My parents buy a new tv now if they dont like the colour of the stand and dont wait for the white dot toappear in the centre of the screen and call the tv repair man.

Ok I think I'm done now.

GREAT THREAD!!!!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
What have kids today got to look back on in 20 years time? not a lot. Too much of a throw away culture. My parents buy a new tv now if they dont like the colour of the stand and dont wait for the white dot toappear in the centre of the screen and call the tv repair man.

Ok I think I'm done now.

GREAT THREAD!!!!

Good point. I think back to the basic graphics, the nigh-on lack of any decent sound, the ice-age-long loading times and realise that we had no better back then. That was all we had. Kids today would look at our favourites of two decades+ ago and simply laugh.

Great times (in a nostalgic sense) and ones that I'm glad that I witnessed first hand. :)

D.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
for me, i probably spent more time on my commodore and my mates amiga tbh. the amount of time spent on lemmings/double dragon 2/interceptor (trying to fly under the bridge lol)

was immense tbh. I had so many games on the commodore!

We could only ever get games from Toys R Us in Southampton for my 7800, so I would get maybe 3 or 4 games per year and play them solidly for months on end (and a new game didn't mean the old one would be put aside either), these days an average game life for many people is what, 30-40 hours? My original copy of NHLPA 93 on the Mega Drive has been played pretty much every month for 15 years, spent a staggering amount of time on it.

Also worth pointing out that there is no way in hell an Xbox 360 is going to work in 25 years time. As mentioned, my original Atari 7800 is still going strong, as is my Mega Drive. I guess cart based stuff will always have an advantage.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I've still got my Coleco Vision in the loft at home. The only problem with it was that the games were silly money at the time. Some of them were arcade perfect though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ColecoVision

I've still got my Amiga 500 Batman pack in the loft also.

^^^^ - good call Lee. I was waiting for your input! :cool:

for me, i probably spent more time on my commodore and my mates amiga tbh. the amount of time spent on lemmings/double dragon 2/interceptor (trying to fly under the bridge lol)

was immense tbh. I had so many games on the commodore!

Bogies inbound over San Fransisco?! A great game - though landing back on the carrier was bloody hard. The one flight game that made my jaw drop back in the Amiga days was the original Falcon by Spectrum Holobyte. Truly amazing - and it fecked me off that my m8 always did much better than me on a much higher difficulty setting. The bar-steward. ;)

D.

Black 172...KN53EL*
You're right what you say with regard to a games life nowadays....On me speccy we played games for months & months - river raid, sir lancelot, beach head....great gameplay which alot of modern games lack

FF Blackgold 182
Haven't read the whole thread, so apologies if anyone has already posted one of these, but we had one of these...

dragon32.gif

Had a 2600 Atari and a C64 at some point as well. Still got the C64 somewhere.

great thread this :), staggering to think how gaming has progressed

i'm in my late 30's so have had a play on most of these. we started with a zx81 then had various spectrums and commodores, there's nothing like trying to load a game by tape to get the juices flowing lol :mad:

one mate had a philllips g7000, can remember playing munchkin for hours and the one with the tanks ( battlefield i think )

another mate had one of these
http://www.consolepassion.co.uk/mattel-intellivision.htm
can't remember what the games were like as it was so long ago lol. happy days :)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Ataris f***in' rocked. Spectrums and Vic 20s were where it was at...only I had to make do with an Oric 1...

Fear the 48k RAM LOL

col-oric1.jpg

Feckin hell Mark. So you were the One that bought the Oric-1?! And I thought Toshiba MSX's were rare.... :)

D.

LOL - I soooo wanted a Spectrum 48K but I went for the Oric as it had a better programming language and pre-programmed sounds "Zap, Shoot, Ping, Explode" LOL

Before that though...me and my sister used to lose weekends to gaming pleasure on one of these...

Binatone%20TV%20Master%20IV.jpg

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
This is a cool thread!!

I thank my old man for buying me my first spectrum when I was 6 years old to get me into computers. I think he knew they would be big, and now im running my own web marketing firm hehe!

I've had most spectrums that came out starting from the 16k one with the flat plastic keys, the 48k with rubber keys that came off, + more, then onto the amiga, I had a 600 with the missing keypad, then onto my first PC just as Win 95 came out.

Ahhh the good old days!

182-racing-blue

Does anyone remember playing games on teletext???????

Pressing the reveal button which basically just took you to another page.

Those were the days.

COFFEE TIME!!!!!!!!! on Ceefax..

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
You're right what you say with regard to a games life nowadays....On me speccy we played games for months & months - river raid, sir lancelot, beach head....great gameplay which alot of modern games lack

My first ever game on the C-64 and I loved it to bits! I rememeber the first time I got to the very end and blew up that fortress/turret thing.

Amazing gameplay for such a limited technology in terms of power, memory and storage. Yet today, you can get patches for the likes of Medal of Honour : Airbourne that are 1.3GB in size?! Crazy...

Bloody hell Mark - that Binatone kit looks like a electric-torture device - lol!

D.

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner
Remember most of these. Even brought my 2600 back indoors from the garage a year or so ago .. kinda felt sorry for it in the cold and damp... still works a treat!

The funniest for me has to be getting a 512kb upgrade on my Atari ST so it had a massive 1Mb of memory! IIRC there were 8 small sticks of ram all of which had to be soldered by hand to the motherboard! Cost me £70 for the RAM (all my birthday money at the time), and some guy on a rough council estate fitted it for £20.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Remember most of these. Even brought my 2600 back indoors from the garage a year or so ago .. kinda felt sorry for it in the cold and damp... still works a treat!

The funniest for me has to be getting a 512kb upgrade on my Atari ST so it had a massive 1Mb of memory! IIRC there were 8 small sticks of ram all of which had to be soldered by hand to the motherboard! Cost me £70 for the RAM (all my birthday money at the time), and some guy on a rough council estate fitted it for £20.

Moz - did the same on my Amiga m8, similar price too, iirc. But it was a whole lot easier to fit. Flip the Amiga over, unclip the centre 'hatch' and clip the memory board in. Worked a treat. Quite a few games got 'boosted' by the 1MB onboard. F-18 Interceptor played the intro music and ones like Dungeon Master would simply fail without 1MB onboard.

Remember my dad buying me the memory from a shop in Ashton-under-Lyne and saying 'just tell your mum it cost a tenner' - lol. Nice one dad. ;)

D.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I had a Lynx 2. It was the daddy:)
Blue Lightening must have been one of the first games for it and the best.
I still remember the add for it where they were playing it in the school bogs, lol
Remember some of the greats, APB and Gates of Zendocon and that 3D Bi-plane game......

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I had a Lynx 2. It was the daddy:)
Blue Lightening must have been one of the first games for it and the best.
I still remember the add for it where they were playing it in the school bogs, lol
Remember some of the greats, APB and Gates of Zendocon and that 3D Bi-plane game......

Did you have Klax as well? I thought Xybots was really good on it too. :)

D.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Oh happy days... *sniff* :eek:

I still have working Atari VC2600's (wood effect and the 'newer' slimline version) as well as my Colecovision. I have to admit to having just about every console made since my birth back in 19xx. However, I have sold my Wii and can't be bothered with the PS3. But I do enjoy the 360 and the best console EVAR - the Dreamcast.

Fiat 500 lounge
lol apart from the game boy and xbox ive never seen any of these...the 3210 was about the earliest thing i can remember along with ps1's