ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Throttle Bodies ECU question (again)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday.. Ask Chip very nicely if he can road map it on Sunday? ;)

Could certainly do enough on it to make it safe to drive if he needed me to assuming he has the dongle, no drama there.

Clio 172 Cup
What itb's do you have clarkey? May be interested, pm me if you like to save spamming this thread.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
I thought a Gen90 was pretty much a plug and play ECU, no extra wiring required, or am I mistaken?

A shed
Its a good solution that Ktec have come up with, just you pay a premium for it.

You dont pay a 'premium' for it at all.

Name another ECU, with as much functionality as this (maintains all the standard computer functions ie cruise control, mpg calculator etc) that comes with a base map thats spec specific, and that can be fitted as easily by anyone with no real wiring knowledge, for cheaper.

As if such a thing exists id be interested to hear about it.

People on here bleat on about the gen90 being overpriced but are happy to pay nigh on the same amount for an inferior product.

edit: and any ECU that needs splicing into original loom and needs the stock ecu keeping is a hugely inferior product so dont bother mentioning them ;)

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
You dont pay a 'premium' for it at all.

Name another ECU, with as much functionality as this (maintains all the standard computer functions ie cruise control, mpg calculator etc) that comes with a base map thats spec specific, and that can be fitted as easily by anyone with no real wiring knowledge, for cheaper.

As if such a thing exists id be interested to hear about it.

People on here bleat on about the gen90 being overpriced but are happy to pay nigh on the same amount for an inferior product.

edit: and any ECU that needs splicing into original loom and needs the stock ecu keeping is a hugely inferior product so dont bother mentioning them ;)

It'll still be £1500 to buy it new you get it mapped though. That's a premium price.

A shed
It'll still be £1500 to buy it new you get it mapped though. That's a premium price.

its only a premium if its significantly more expensive than competition thats even remotely close as a product :)

£400 more than an adaptronic which doesnt even have ignition drivers in it is not a lot more to spend for SO much more of a product.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

It only maintains cruise control if you fit it with the standard electronic throttle so thats of no use on bodies for example, and most people going for bodies for their car probably arent especially bothered about an MPG calculator, and lets face it, thats hardly difficult to work out anyway even if MPG is massively important to you.
And if you are staying on the standard throttle body then unless you are going boost you might as well stick with the standard ECU too in most cases.

Also I think you are adding far too much value to this "spec specific" base map TBH mate, if you have anything slightly unusual about your spec, you wont get a meaningful basemap as they wont have one.
And either way, you still need to pay for mapping if you want your car to actually work to its full potential. I think you have read too many brochures and mistaken them for gospel TBH.

IF the ONLY thing that matters to you is that you can plug it straight in without needing to know how to alter the loom then Gen90 is the product for you, in terms of "ease of fitment" its the most superior product on the market, but its much more expensive than other ECUs which will run an engine just as well for far far less money.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
its only a premium if its significantly more expensive than competition thats even remotely close as a product :)

£400 more than an adaptronic which doesnt even have ignition drivers in it is not a lot more to spend for SO much more of a product.

Its not always an advantage to have ignition drivers built in, as it limits your choice on the rest of the spec as it limits you to only non amplified coils, which not everyone wants.
From a reliability point of view, ALL ignition drivers are ultimately at risk of failure, so if you have to then stock a 15 quid external amp rather than a 1000 pound ecu in your spares package then its an advantage them not being internal for example.

A shed
It only maintains cruise control if you fit it with the standard electronic throttle so thats of no use on bodies for example, and most people going for bodies for their car probably arent especially bothered about an MPG calculator, and lets face it, thats hardly difficult to work out anyway even if MPG is massively important to you.
And if you are staying on the standard throttle body then unless you are going boost you might as well stick with the standard ECU too in most cases.

Also I think you are adding far too much value to this "spec specific" base map TBH mate, if you have anything slightly unusual about your spec, you wont get a meaningful basemap as they wont have one.
And either way, you still need to pay for mapping if you want your car to actually work to its full potential. I think you have read too many brochures and mistaken them for gospel TBH.

IF the ONLY thing that matters to you is that you can plug it straight in without needing to know how to alter the loom then Gen90 is the product for you, in terms of "ease of fitment" its the most superior product on the market, but its much more expensive than other ECUs which will run an engine just as well for far far less money.

Its not always an advantage to have ignition drivers built in, as it limits your choice on the rest of the spec as it limits you to only non amplified coils, which not everyone wants.
From a reliability point of view, ALL ignition drivers are ultimately at risk of failure, so if you have to then stock a 15 quid external amp rather than a 1000 pound ecu in your spares package then its an advantage them not being internal for example.

So there isnt a comparable product on the market - cheers :)

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I don't think anyone has said it's not a good product. They have just said you pay a higher price for it.

You just seem to have got a little defensive....

A shed
didnt mean to come across as defensive - just in the same predicament in that i have ITB's and shopping for an ecu so doing lotsd of research and all ive read on here whilst searching is KTec bashing by the same group of people and it gets old.

some things arent as good and/or are overpriced but the gen90 is a good product and a good price for what it is. the unnecessary bashing just steers people who dont know any better to stuff that just isnt any where near as good and sometimes borderline a bodge.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If you are going ITB then you are going to be very dissapointed about losing the cruise control you are banging on about being so important on the Gen90.

Why not go RS2 and standard ECU, sounds like it would suit your needs perfectly, ALL standard functionality, plus a gain in power, with no downsides at all other than being a bit expensive, but sounds like that doesnt bother you anyway :)

A shed
i dont have cruise control - was just one of the first things that popped into my head that can be kept with the Gen90. sorry for the confusion.

And id go for an RS2 but that IS overpriced and not as good as ITB's, im a fan of flat torque lines - after all ive fitted a 5.8 V8 to my 200sx track **** - but a flat lower line isnt as good as a wavy but higher overall line.

172, Tiguan
some things arent as good and/or are overpriced but the gen90 is a good product and a good price for what it is.

I totally agree that for a plug and play product it's of reasonable value and for retaining all those features you mention then it's great.

the unnecessary bashing just steers people who dont know any better to stuff that just isnt any where near as good and sometimes borderline a bodge.

'Anywhere near as good' is questionable. As Chip has mentioned, others have certain other benefits over the Gen90 and I suspect 90% of people couldn't care less about cruise control on bodies. The Adaptronic (for example) is £699 with a bare loom. A few nights work and some mapping and you'd be up and running for about £1100. I suspect you'd be nearer £1800 after mapping on the Gen90.

As with everything though, you pay your money and you take your choice.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
i dont have cruise control - was just one of the first things that popped into my head that can be kept with the Gen90. sorry for the confusion.

And id go for an RS2 but that IS overpriced and not as good as ITB's, im a fan of flat torque lines - after all ive fitted a 5.8 V8 to my 200sx track **** - but a flat lower line isnt as good as a wavy but higher overall line.

TBH its less overpriced than the Gen90 if you look at the actual cost of the components required to make it probably, good quality carbon isnt cheap, but I do agree that ITBs will ultimatly be faster than the RS2 if you dont mind losing some of the refinements (which you seemed to a few mins ago but now dont).

Although bodies will be NO faster with a 1200 quid Gen90 than with a 300 quid microsquirt of course :)

A shed
TBH its less overpriced than the Gen90 if you look at the actual cost of the components required to make it probably, good quality carbon isnt cheap, but I do agree that ITBs will ultimatly be faster than the RS2 if you dont mind losing some of the refinements (which you seemed to a few mins ago but now dont).

Although bodies will be NO faster with a 1200 quid Gen90 than with a 300 quid microsquirt of course :)

Bodies doesnt have to lose any of the refinements i have now?

A shed
I totally agree that for a plug and play product it's of reasonable value and for retaining all those features you mention then it's great.

'Anywhere near as good' is questionable. As Chip has mentioned, others have certain other benefits over the Gen90 and I suspect 90% of people couldn't care less about cruise control on bodies. The Adaptronic (for example) is £699 with a bare loom. A few nights work and some mapping and you'd be up and running for about £1100. I suspect you'd be nearer £1800 after mapping on the Gen90.

As with everything though, you pay your money and you take your choice.

everytime someone mentions a cost inc. mapping on a Gen90 the price goes up lol!!

Started at £1500 and now were up to £1800.........

With a good'ish base map there wont need to be anywhere near as much mapping time as rather than mapping from scratch youre just refining the map.

edit: not sure why it keeps adding chips old post?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
With a good'ish base map there wont need to be anywhere near as much mapping time as rather than mapping from scratch youre just refining the map.

Some companies that have traded on here charge 300 quid just to flash a not very good generic map, so I wouldnt automatically bank on not still getting charged for a full map if they have done less of one.

Depends how well mapped you want it of course though, if you want it genuinely well mapped for all possible temperature conditions etc then its going to cost a lot of money potentially as that takes time and a climactic chamber etc.

172, Tiguan
My bad. It's £1206 delivered + mapping, so you're probably right at £1500 for basic up and running.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Lost me.....are you saying that bodied cars dont idle? lol

Im saying they dont do so with the refinement of an ICV based setup, only way you get bodies to idle is basically you wind the throttle open further than it needs to be in most circumstances and then r****d the ignition to make the engine far less efficient, which hurts emissions at idle, economy at idle and even increases wear rate at idle.
So its a refinement you lose, all be it not one that generally bothers me, but it might if it was my daily, but then I tend to only use bodies on trackday cars personally so its a different set of requirements.

A shed
Some companies that have traded on here charge 300 quid just to flash a not very good generic map, so I wouldnt automatically bank on not still getting charged for a full map if they have done less of one.

Depends how well mapped you want it of course though, if you want it genuinely well mapped for all possible temperature conditions etc then its going to cost a lot of money potentially as that takes time and a climactic chamber etc.

Ive always paid by the hour for mapping - the cost of a reflash of a generic map includes developmental costs etc. and i assume as its the case with others an element of a warranty with it and time fixing issues that could arise

A shed
Im saying they dont do so with the refinement of an ICV based setup, only way you get bodies to idle is basically you wind the throttle open further than it needs to be in most circumstances and then r****d the ignition to make the engine far less efficient, which hurts emissions at idle, economy at idle and even increases wear rate at idle.
So its a refinement you lose, all be it not one that generally bothers me, but it might if it was my daily, but then I tend to only use bodies on trackday cars personally so its a different set of requirements.

i was aware of all of that (hence the 'lol' after my sarcastic remark) but its not an issue for me as im not a fan of leaving it idling for long periods and my commute to work doesnt tend to go through major traffic where ill be idling for long periods.

The clio is my daily btw, as the mrs keeps reminding me when i buy more bits for it 'you have a track car in bits on the drive, finish that' lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Its weird that one minute all that seems to matter to you is refinement, then the next minute it doesnt.

Anyway, your car and your money, so I hope you enjoy the choices you have made mate :)

A shed
Its weird that one minute all that seems to matter to you is refinement, then the next minute it doesnt.

Anyway, your car and your money, so I hope you enjoy the choices you have made mate :)

Because i want to maintain mpg computer etc and not have Engine warning lights up but am happy if the already shocking clio idle is a little worse because i dont leave it idling all the time?

id hardly say im compromising refinement - more youre clutching at straws :p

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Because i want to maintain mpg computer etc and not have Engine warning lights up but am happy if the already shocking clio idle is a little worse because i dont leave it idling all the time?

id hardly say im compromising refinement - more youre clutching at straws :p

We're all different I guess mate.
Personally as I know for a fact that the fuel computer tells lies anyway it doesnt really bother me losing it, and I find a light that I know means nothing very easy to ignore, especially when talking about both in the context of a throttle bodied car, so to me those things just arent a compromise at all when comparing between a Gen90 and a Microsquirt for example, but conversely when comparing for a daily between an RS2 and a set of bodies I find things like cruise control missing to be an actual compromise as I use that often and likewise the worse fuel economy of bodies compared to the RS2 I view as a compromise on a daily too, not that it needs to be a huge difference if well mapped and running lambda control etc.

It seems to be you clutching at straws to justify the fact that you want to pay over the odds for an ECU just because of not turning on a light or being easier to fit, it doesnt effect me as I have one Mk2 clio with an RS2 with cruise control and no lights on, one with standard inlet and standard ECU with no lights, and one turbo one with aftermarket ecu (Mtec V4) with no lights on the dashboard anyway as on a ph1 that is easily achieved anyway.
And I map all my own cars so costs of mapping are irrelevant to me personally.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
In practice, even when well mapped, there will still be some slight differences in economy, especially during transient use, purely because you are dealing with short individual runners and a TPS angle to map against and not a shared plenum with a nice accurate map sensor signal to go by (well on mild cams at least, lol)

But sat on a motorway at a cruise speed, there should be very little in it.

Clio 182 FF

From what I've read TBH the only thing I have against it is the buying of software to unlock it for mapping by your trusted/local mapper of choice.

Just so u now man the mpg on my dash with my gen90 and itbs dose not read any were ner right think its down round 10mpg on the dash and I'm getting around 35ish mpg in the real world