ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Throttle Bodies or Coil Packs?

'07 197
Hi, I keep having problems with my Clio when it starts in the morning, mainly when its cold.
I have a 52 plate 1.4 Clio Dynamique, when I start it first thing and reverse off my driveway the revs drop and the car nearly cuts out, it does this once or twice then seems OK. I continue to pull away in 1st and the revs drop and i lose power for a moment, then the power suddenly kicks in and revs up to 4000rpm(ish) rather fast, then drops again causing the car to jump badly. After this the revs return to normal and the car is fine. I have also experienced an unusual egg type smell that i had when the coil packs failed on my previous Clio. I have took it to several local garages and have been told by one garage it was my throttle body that needed cleaning, i had this done which cost £45 and temporarily fixed this. It has now started again and one garage tells me my throttle body needs replacing, and another garage and my old driving instructor tells me its my coil pack that needs replacing. To my knowledge, 2 out of 4 coils have been previously replaced and i have been told all 4 must be replaced at the same time so i have my suspicions that the coil pack is the problem but i don't want any unnecessary repair bills. Does anyone know what the problem may be or have had similar problems? Any sort of help would be appreciated, thanks :)

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Take the car somewhere to be properly diagnosed rather than code read... the difference is huge.

If you're anywhere near Nottingham i'll volunteer my services.

Mick

'07 197
Cheers for the advice mate, unfortunately in no where near Nottingham but im going to take it to my nearest garage. Ithink it iscoil packs as its starting to do the same as my old 1.4 clio when they went on that one. Thanks again :)