ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

throttle bodies.

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
looking at treating myself in feburary when i get my uni grant. Instead of getting a new car i think i will go for throttle bodies the question is where should i get them from?

i will fit them myself but not too sure about the wiring as it will need a standalone ecu.

can you buy all the parts seperate as i think that would probably be cheapest?

also people who have had them fitted, what are they like as a daily driver? start every time?

ta
carl

LY 182
interested in this myself (the sourcing of the parts yourself)

it CAN be better than standard running/reliability wise its ALL down to how good the mapping is

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
interested in this myself (the sourcing of the parts yourself)

it CAN be better than standard running/reliability wise its ALL down to how good the mapping is

yeah im sure i could scrape some cost off due to connections but what parts do i actually need? lol

would visit paul at RStuning so the map should be spot on :)

LY 182
an inlet manifold/set of t/bs plus airbox for them
cable throttle set up
ecu
decide what you want to do with the loom, make it yourself in which case you will need various connecters etc..

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
iirc the gdi kit is cheaper then buying all the elements seprately, they also do a guide of how to fit it all yourself, and the ecu comes pre mapped so you dont need to worry about hat, ive just shelled out for my set... but im getting them fitted, just for ease and peice of mind

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
road car, im not putting any more power in the track car until ive done a few more track days. No point

alien green rs133
link plus ecu (comes with flatshift and launch control :D:D:D)
honda blackbird throttle boddies
jenvey manifold

and a tiny bit of engineering and your sorted :D

ps you have to come and look at the rally car asap its looking a propper tool :D

ValverInBits
gordon browns good to you

no he's not. He's charging us (students) interest on money he stole from us to the tune of about £50 a month.

Anyways, about the bodies. I would REALLY like to see someone use bike bodies. I have heard of 2 or 3 companies that do custom manifolds for setups exactly like this at reasonable prices.
After that - you'd need some engineering on the bodies to get the spacing right + tps, standalone management (don't just be a muppet and get omex becuase it's a clio. Research and find out what's best), injectors (think not sure if the standards will be up to it - meg 225?), filter socks and your away.

LY 182
could be done for well under a grand..

bogg bro's manifold
r1 bodies or similar
megasquirt
bit of home mapping

not easy, but doable

alien green rs133
no he's not. He's charging us (students) interest on money he stole from us to the tune of about £50 a month.

Anyways, about the bodies. I would REALLY like to see someone use bike bodies. I have heard of 2 or 3 companies that do custom manifolds for setups exactly like this at reasonable prices.
After that - you'd need some engineering on the bodies to get the spacing right + tps, standalone management (don't just be a muppet and get omex becuase it's a clio. Research and find out what's best), injectors (think not sure if the standards will be up to it - meg 225?), filter socks and your away.

our (hissingsid's) rally car uses blackbird throttle bodies, we then machined them to accept clio fuel rail ill see if i can find some pics

hutchie

Last edited:
  alien green rs133
this is the old setup using a custom inlet manifold but we later found out it was costing us power so bought a jenvey one
18189064a9488199760o.jpg

but you can see where the petrol injectors fit into blackbird throttle bodies, there is a tiny but of aliminium pressed into place

and a side view to show compactness :D

18189064a9488247210o.jpg

ValverInBits
on the custom manifold above, have you plugged the holes for the injectors?

Nice job btw, did you have it RR'd?

RS RIP
very short trumpets there ; no experience but, after reading around, it seems the shorter they get the more torque the engine loses

alien green rs133
very short trumpets there ; no experience but, after reading around, it seems the shorter they get the more torque the engine loses

they miss the bonnet by a few mm if you can get bigger ones on and close the bonnet, ill buy you a drink

ValverInBits

partly true. There is a specific length of trumpet for every engine that will provide maximum torque. 106 gti boys have been known to buy LHD wiper setups and cut through the bulkhead to get the correct length trumpets on.

ITB'd MK1
£2700 for just parts? hmm i doubt it

forgetting the fact it comes with a pre-mapped ECU and a loom that needs just 5 wires splicing into the car loom. EVERY bracket, bolt, cabletie, P-clip, sensor and a full set of fitting instructions. It's far from JUST parts

ITB'd MK1
partly true. There is a specific length of trumpet for every engine that will provide maximum torque. 106 gti boys have been known to buy LHD wiper setups and cut through the bulkhead to get the correct length trumpets on.

they look like 90mm trumpets, which work well with Jenveys, and that setup looks a very similar overall induction length.

The 106 we prepped and mapped last week had the bulkhead modded like that when we go it. Gained 20bhp from the previous ECU and mapping which we were well pleased with :D

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Im sure I have seen webber carbs modded to use as tb's I think Dave Walker of CCC mag did his own.

Has anyone fitted DCOE carbs on or isnt there enough room?

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
forgetting the fact it comes with a pre-mapped ECU and a loom that needs just 5 wires splicing into the car loom. EVERY bracket, bolt, cabletie, P-clip, sensor and a full set of fitting instructions. It's far from JUST parts

dont get me wrong mate im sure its a great kit but afterall GDI is a business so i doubt they are just selling stuff at cost price because they are nice people? im sure with a list of all the stuff that is provided that i could buy everything seperate for cheaper.

RB 182 cup
whenn i brought my tb's for my 2.0l corsa they cost me 1800 inc the management with a custom made loom so i cant see them costing much more than that as the set up is pritty much the same, well may be a few more for the cable throttle set up but im sure u can get that cheap enough