ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Throttle body problem maybe??

Renaultsport clio 172
This is linked to a problem that a few of us on here are having at the moment so help will be much appriciated:)

I noticed and i cannot remember what it was like before (so if anybodys clio is running normal please answer this) but when i turn the ignition on there a big horrible clicky noise then followed by a continuos horrible wining type noise from the throttle body, and when i open the throttle up it makes a noise hard to explain but like its stuggling and possibly grinding??? it causing the car to go into limp mode when i put the throttle peddle fully down. That me being to paranoid and fussy or just somehting else wrong????

Clio 172
think mine is doin the same, i have noticed a few odd noises coming from the throttle body just as u described but i didn't know if it was just me. iv found that when i put my foot flat down in neutral it goes straight into limp mode but if i rev it slowly it doesn't. I might just buy a throttle body just to see if thats the problem.

Renaultsport clio 172
That exactly wa mine is doing. Well as soon as you get that done let me know ;) unless i beat u to it, in tha case il notify you if that the problem

Renaultsport clio 172
Just curious, but have u had on your trip metre a SET MPH? come up lately maybe since the limp mode or before??

Clio 172
I haven't noticed anything like that come up on mine, sounds like its trying to ask you to re-calibrate ur dials, u do that by pressing a series of buttons when the ignition is on, however i don't know which ones sorry. Don't take my word for this as im definately no mechanic. I do have some bad news for you though, last night i took my battery tray out to check i hadn't disturbed anything and found that i had krimped the thin hose that comes off the inlet manifold next to the throttle body, it didn't seem to fix it last night but thismorning i started it and when i rev it quickly it no longer goes into limpmode. However it does seem to choke a little and nearly stall before it revs so theres still something up with it!

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Ive got a cable operated throttle body off a mk1 172 ( polished chamber ) with new acc cable / cable mount and drilled metal acc pedal + bracket which you can fit to eradicate any potential problems with the unreliable mk2 172 FBW t/b. The kit is £65 if anyones interested.

Renaultsport clio 172
im gna check a number of things today and what dave said (thanks by the way for that info dave i nhope to god that the same problemcause i did change the battery not so long ago) and if i find it is the problem with the throttle i will be in touch matt black

Clio 172
right, an update on what my clio is doing. It seems to run absolutely fine but every so often it will just go into limp mode, there is no pattern to it which makes me think its now a loose wire, it would appear that un-crimping the pipe that comes off the inlet manifold made it better but i do still have problems. Its almost bearable however im waiting for the time it decides to go into limp mode when im overtaking!

Renaultsport clio 172
I think mine is the limbda sensor or the exhaust as that can be a reason as i just had the exhaust done so it could be cause the exhaust is letting pressure out, or the sensor may need a clean or possible but hopefullt not creplacing

BUT cant do any of this now til monday :(

Clio 172
my girlfriend has just gone out in the clio and straight away it went into limp mode but after a couple of times turning it off and on it went, however i did notice it sounded like the exhaust might hav been blowing, when i first had the car the back box came off cause of rust but i had it welded back on, do you reckon a lack of pressure in the exhaust would do it? Im wondering if when my gearbox mount broke it might have pulled on the exhaust or something?

Renaultsport clio 172
To be honest i have been to renault and they recon if the exhaust is custom made it might be due to pressure, or possibly the cat is on its way out so check that aswell

but with mine iv been doing everything under the sun like stripping everything it could possibly be like the lambda sensors, throttle sensors, throttle body, peddle the exhaust itself etc and it would not go, went to 2 different garages and renault and they couldnt work it out at all unless they stripped everything and started from scratch bla bla (big bucks) so getting ready to book it in for a bank punishin check over

today goin to show my mate the problem i was suprised/happy/annoyed that it has gone completly, i mean i tried knocking it on and off, givin the car a beltin in most gears and absolutly nothin :S, happy its gone, annoyed as i dunno wa it was in the end and the fact it caused so much stress, so i can only come 2 1 conclusion and that is that its french and french cars are known for electric faults (1 outa 6 stories from my mates who own/owned a french car is that he went to put his hazrds on and it opened the boot and put his windows down???? wft lol