ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Throttle body?...

BMW E46 330i Touring
Occasionally, normally when crawling in traffic, I find that my 172 idles at about 2k revs and that when I blip the throttle it will settle back down to about 700. I've been told that this is because the 'butterfly' hinge on the throttle unit is slightly bent so that is sometimes trapped open.

Not a major problem and not one that I'm going to spend £150+ on buying a new throttle body/unit.... but does this sound like the right problem and will this Ebay part fix it?

Also, any idea how much or how easy it will be to fit?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4590763166&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Cheers,

Adam

BMW E46 330i Touring
God knows mate, I bought the car like it and it happens so rarely that I haven't thought to get it checked out further and find out what's caused it or what's going on. So it wouldn't fit my Mk1 172 then?

Any other more plausible reason as to why the revs idle at around 2k sometimes? The guy, as genuine as he was, may have not known the real reason himself...

Lionel Richie
mk1 172's use a cable throttle body

never heard of one with a "bent butterfly hinge"

sounds more like a sensor fault

BMW E46 330i Touring
Hmm, think I'll take it to ClarkieV6 and see if they can diagnose the real reason...

Cheers Fred,

Adam

I have a Mk1 172 that does exactly the same, I have replaced the throttle cable but no luck, when I find the reason I will let you know

Ph1
Ive had a few problems with idling on my mk1 172 over the years. First i'd try cleaning the throttle body out.
More likely to be a leaky gasket somewhere if its reving that high tho as the tb would have to be seriously gunged up......worth a look all the same

172 cup'd extreme
throttle possition sensor is what you want to clean on the mk1 172, its at the front of the unit held on with 2 x 10mm bolts, if its a mk2 on my mk2 throttle body i change the whole unit and its never been better