ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Throttle Pedal Sticking?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Right.... Tried a lot of things to resolve the high idle problem with my ph1 and this I think is now my last resort.

Can I take the throttle pedal off easy enough? Is there anything that could be sticking?

Bit of a background... (sorry for the long read)

The car was idling high, (only after the engine was warm, and only when releasing the accelerator after being at constant low revs, i.e cruising at 40 in fourth) so I assumed it would be the throttle body sticking, took this off at the weekend and it seems to not be the case.

Gave the TB a good clean with white spirit, although it seemed in good enough condition, had a smooth action with no signs of problems, also checked the throttle cable, which again had a smooth action and no signs of a frayed cable, i.e no grining and easy to move..

Today in traffic, the car warm, the idle started sticking at 2k again, I also noticed that when not in gear I couldnt rev the car gently, only above 2.5k revs, i.e the first part of the throttle pedal motion feels very lumpy and hard to push?

In traffic I tried sticking my toe under the pedal and lifting it manually, which worked most of the time?

Help.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
PH1?

probably a sticking throttle cable, open the bonnet, where the cable goes into the throttle housing spray a bit of wd40 and pump the pedal a few times.

should solve it

Mine does this and has been getting worse, although im certain its the throttle body.

Ive had it off and apart, cleaned the springs and mech, refitted with a brand new throttle cable and it still does it. Re-routed the cable too and still no change. Thought it could be the idle control valve, but ive tried two spares and its still the same - so Ive come to the conclusion that it has to be the throttle body itself!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Yeah ph1, as I said above, the cable has a nice action, we disconnected it from the TB and it moves fine tbh, I'll try giving it a bit of wd40 love a bit later....

And Aluco, the only thing letting down the rear of my car is that your bonnet dented rust bucket seems to be sporting the spoiler it deserves ;)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Mine does this and has been getting worse, although im certain its the throttle body.

Ive had it off and apart, cleaned the springs and mech, refitted with a brand new throttle cable and it still does it. Re-routed the cable too and still no change. Thought it could be the idle control valve, but ive tried two spares and its still the same - so Ive come to the conclusion that it has to be the throttle body itself!

But what could it be in the TB Jord? There's not much to it really is there?

How hard is fitting a new throttle cable dude?

Any idea if the pedal mech in the car could be sticking?

Got a spare ICV you fancy posting me? I'll post it back if it makes no difference. ;)

Titanium 182
Silly question but have you been checking the actual TB itself or the plastic "Wheel" the throttle cable attaches to ? make sure the plastic assembly spins clean and smooth and isn't catching/rubbing on anything.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
PFFF !

Didn't take 1.2 boy long :star: ;)

1.2 Boy? Are you referring to my loyal old motor? I'll have you know that was the finest 60bhp 8v car going!

And yes, you're throttle works, you win. b*****d.

Silly question but have you been checking the actual TB itself or the plastic "Wheel" the throttle cable attaches to ? make sure the plastic assembly spins clean and smooth and isn't catching/rubbing on anything.

Yeah I have, thats why I mean by it has a nice action, when i took it off, I gave it a good clean with a tooth brush and white spirit, and tested it was all moving smoothly, which it was, it span nice and smoothly, didn't stick at any point :(

But what could it be in the TB Jord? There's not much to it really is there?

How hard is fitting a new throttle cable dude?

Any idea if the pedal mech in the car could be sticking?

Got a spare ICV you fancy posting me? I'll post it back if it makes no difference. ;)

The spring could be knackered and not returning the butterfly fully...

The pedal in a Mk1 is the simplest thing ever, its just a piece of metal and a block bolted to the car, no spring or anything on there, the cable/throttle body is what returns the pedal upwards.

Also, if I tap the accellerator when its idling high, itl drop down to normal idle, which would explain an issue with the spring in the throttle body too...

I gave one of them away, il see if I can find the other later

Both, I took it apart as much as I could to clean everything

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
By Mk1 do you mean ph1 too? Or are they different?

Mine is EXACTLY the same Jord, I can tap the pedal and it drops, but when testing the TB in my hand, the spring returns back fully, FAST! (although I'm thinking this could change when hot)

Is it possible that the butterfly metal is expanding a touch with the heat and catching or something?

Does yours do it only when warm also?

Oh and one last question/request, try lifting the accel pedal instead of tapping it, it got rid of it a few times for me.

P.s, changing throttle cable, hard?

I meant Mk1 as in Mk1 (my car lol)......but I think the 172 Ph1 pedal is very similar.

Yes it only does it when warm, and yeah sometimes lifting the pedal will do it - but that depends on how you've got your cable setup, I have a bit of slack when its in the fully up position so that does not always work...

Changing throttle cable - bit fiddly but doable with a bit of patience lol

Titanium 182
I'm betting it's the cable rubbing/catching on something if you've checked the TB thoroughly. They're not complex.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I'm betting it's the cable rubbing/catching on something if you've checked the TB thoroughly. They're not complex.

After disconnecting the cable on mine though, it moves sweet as a nut, very smooth etc, no rubbing sounds, and this wouldnt explain the fact it only happens when its warm??

I honestly now think its the butterfly expanding in size slightly with the heat and catching in the TB, which would explain why it seems totally fine when you check it (as its always cold)

Ph1
As already mentioned mate, check your TB is going back to idle on the idle gromit.

Spring problem is very very common on these and you wont hear the problem

Cooksport Fleet
Check for an air leak on the manifold, check the inlets are done up correctly etc.

You never know, that was the problem with mine.

Check your throttle cable end to end:

I have this problem too and changing the TB didnt help. Weekend just gone I removed the throttle cable and found that it was slightly sheared with bits of cable coming unthreaded causing it to catch slightly on the internal cover that it retracts into near the TB end.

Ordered a brand new cable from Renault today @ £20 so ill let you know if this solves the problem - I'd be surprised if it doesnt.

Mk1 Clio F4R'd
Well in my experience, before my car wasn't idling high enough so cleaned the throttle body with brake cleaner. Cleaned the spring and the hinges inside the body and gave it a good wipe with a cloth. Then the car was idling too high.

So took it all off and sprayed some white grease on the spring and hinges inside and also sprayed the grease onto the idle sensor.

Result, totally fixed and the car drives so much better. Make sure you grease it up properly

Ph1
When the car next idles high, open the bonnet while its doing its thing, look and see if the throttle disk is fully resting back on the gromit. Turn the disk anti-clockwise and see if it stops the reving. 2 or 3 mil gap is enough to lift the revs.

If this appears to be the issue then its either your cable or your TB spring. Quick check of the spring will see which it is. Better checking with the TB fully off here. Spring usually has a patch of shine to the inside if its been rubbing

If the disk is fully back and its still reving then it could be a dirty TB. Doubt that tho imo as it would need to be seriously s**tted up to hold open.

Air leaks can cause reving but from experience their much more or a constant 'rev'. Anything gasket related etc can be the issue here

Ph1 172 + Combo van
After my dad done the cambelt on mine it was idling at just over 2k. It would drop to normal idle if I blipped the accelerator like you are describing. I disconnected the battery and left it over night and it's been fine since.

My dad said mine probably done it because when he connected the battery after doing the cambelt (was unplugged for a few days) he started it up on the ramp so the wheels were spinning confusing the ecu.

Worth a try if your looking for ideas.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
As already mentioned mate, check your TB is going back to idle on the idle gromit.

Spring problem is very very common on these and you wont hear the problem

Didn't know there was an idle gromit, cheers.

Check for an air leak on the manifold, check the inlets are done up correctly etc.

You never know, that was the problem with mine.

Ok cheers mate, I'll give as much as possible a good checking this w.e

Check your throttle cable end to end:

I have this problem too and changing the TB didnt help. Weekend just gone I removed the throttle cable and found that it was slightly sheared with bits of cable coming unthreaded causing it to catch slightly on the internal cover that it retracts into near the TB end.

Ordered a brand new cable from Renault today @ £20 so ill let you know if this solves the problem - I'd be surprised if it doesnt.

I have no idea how to do this, but I guess I'd better learn quick, lol!!! Thanks for the advise, update in here to let us know how the new cable does you.

Well in my experience, before my car wasn't idling high enough so cleaned the throttle body with brake cleaner. Cleaned the spring and the hinges inside the body and gave it a good wipe with a cloth. Then the car was idling too high.

So took it all off and sprayed some white grease on the spring and hinges inside and also sprayed the grease onto the idle sensor.

Result, totally fixed and the car drives so much better. Make sure you grease it up properly

Hmmmm, well the problem seems to have got worse tonight... and despite cleaning it good and proper at the weekend I can't say I greased it back up... (oops)

I'll give it a go, thanks :)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
When the car next idles high, open the bonnet while its doing its thing, look and see if the throttle disk is fully resting back on the gromit. Turn the disk anti-clockwise and see if it stops the reving. 2 or 3 mil gap is enough to lift the revs.

If this appears to be the issue then its either your cable or your TB spring. Quick check of the spring will see which it is. Better checking with the TB fully off here. Spring usually has a patch of shine to the inside if its been rubbing

If the disk is fully back and its still reving then it could be a dirty TB. Doubt that tho imo as it would need to be seriously s**tted up to hold open.

Air leaks can cause reving but from experience their much more or a constant 'rev'. Anything gasket related etc can be the issue here

This should be easy to do, I'll try it when I get home tmrw after work as when I pull up it should do it. Cheers :)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Tell me about it, the more people with have with problems, the easier it should be to resolve. I'm going to do some more to it tmrw, I'm going to try to check both ends of the throttle cable, although I have no idea how to check the pedal side... lol!

I'm also gonna try get me a gasket for between the TB and inlet as mine was fubar'd.

I'll then try get it to high idle and see how the TB look (open or whatever)

SQ5
Read most of the replies quickly.

It IS your throttle body! It doesn't return properly due to the spring! If you get out of the car and open the bonnet when its idling high, you will be able to move the plastic wheel back about a millimetre, this will stop the high idling then! I'm buying a new throttle body as most used ones are fucked also!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Around 200 sheets iirc. :(

I can get one second hand that I know is good, so I guess I'll be doing that... :(

If it isnt the case DannyR, I'm blaming/invoicing you ;)

The only I doubt it just being the throttle body, is that it ONLY does this when the car is warmed up? How do you explain that bit? (not having a dig, just curious)

CLIO PH1 172
yes very much ouch damn reno nothings ever cheap :(

hmm will have a play over the next few days see what happens

I would imagine a replacement spring would not be hard to get made. Ive had plenty made as one-offs for various machines and components in the past, I dont see why it would be any different if I took it apart and took the spring to them

ITB'd MK1
I would imagine a replacement spring would not be hard to get made. Ive had plenty made as one-offs for various machines and components in the past, I dont see why it would be any different if I took it apart and took the spring to them

not easy to get the throttle quadrant off. Tried it before and they break up