ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Throttle position sensor fault

Clio RS
Cmon, why can you guys write that you found solution, but don't write what exactly you did to solve the problem? :)

Clio sport 172
Bump as I have the exact same problem,
We think it's temperature related.
So the engine management light has been on forever, we have plugged it and these are the faults found ( and if you Google, you'll realise it's pretty much the same on other cars soo must be common, but what's causing it?)

9 wheel speed sensor front left circuit
285 fast fan control
266 02 sensor before CAT
301 brake pedal sensor circuit
309 cruise control /speed limiter brake pedal switches
257 throttle body valve position circuit.

Clio sport 172
Bump as I have the exact same problem,
We think it's temperature related.
So the engine management light has been on forever, we have plugged it and these are the faults found ( and if you Google, you'll realise it's pretty much the same on other cars soo must be common, but what's causing it?)

9 wheel speed sensor front left circuit
285 fast fan control
266 02 sensor before CAT
301 brake pedal sensor circuit
309 cruise control /speed limiter brake pedal switches
257 throttle body valve position circuit.
Now this is just the engine light,
When cold, below 5 degrees, the zigzag electric light comes on,
Car then starts and drives in limp mode, starts by revving itself from 2,5 to 3.5 revvs, won't go past that, I basically have to drive with my foot on the brake instead of gas, it's unresponsive if I step on gas pedal. Once warmed up, I can pull up, switch the engine off and start it again, the zigzag gone away it drives fine.
It had the engine light management reset which lasted for a day, after the electrical light came back in this morning, engine light is on again.
We have checked the throttle body and the wire that feeds it and it looked OK (assessed by my lecturer so they know what they were doing).
Zigzag fault is definitely temperature related, as I had it sitting for weeks over the summer, and it started just fine, also starts fine after sitting for a few days in temperatures like 7 degrees.
Soo, what could cause this?
Them 2 faults are defo related, engine management with the electrical zigzag, but it escalates in the cold.
Any idea as to what to look at??
Any insight would be much appreciated.

Clio sport 172
On a 172 Cup this is 100% a wiring fault and 100% NOT a pedal or TB fault so if you have cash to throw away i'll send you my paypal details and you can load it up as much as you feel like.

It's normally due to a connection fault either at the TB itself or somewhere between the pedal and the ECU. We do loads of them and its always the Cup that seems to be effected. Enjoy searching it out but I promise you it's a simple enough fix once you find it.

Mick
I know it was ages ago, but some of us still keep them old cars and cherish them.. What would you suggest might solve the issue?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I know it was ages ago, but some of us still keep them old cars and cherish them.. What would you suggest might solve the issue?
It really depends on the actual fault as they all manifest with the same symptom but the diagnosis can be slightly different. Ultimately though, constructing a new mini loom from pedal to ECU and then ECU to TB works great (Depending on the ability of the person building the loom sections).

Clio 172
Now this is just the engine light,
When cold, below 5 degrees, the zigzag electric light comes on,
Car then starts and drives in limp mode, starts by revving itself from 2,5 to 3.5 revvs, won't go past that, I basically have to drive with my foot on the brake instead of gas, it's unresponsive if I step on gas pedal. Once warmed up, I can pull up, switch the engine off and start it again, the zigzag gone away it drives fine.
It had the engine light management reset which lasted for a day, after the electrical light came back in this morning, engine light is on again.
We have checked the throttle body and the wire that feeds it and it looked OK (assessed by my lecturer so they know what they were doing).
Zigzag fault is definitely temperature related, as I had it sitting for weeks over the summer, and it started just fine, also starts fine after sitting for a few days in temperatures like 7 degrees.
Soo, what could cause this?
Them 2 faults are defo related, engine management with the electrical zigzag, but it escalates in the cold.
Any idea as to what to look at??
Any insight would be much appreciated.
Did you ever overcome this issue? I have a few select issues that are similar, mainly the fact that the car is fine when up to to temp or in the warmer months. Now I’ve got constant limp mode in the colder months until the car is up to temp.

Clio sport 172
Did you ever overcome this issue? I have a few select issues that are similar, mainly the fact that the car is fine when up to to temp or in the warmer months. Now I’ve got constant limp mode in the colder months until the car is up to temp.

Oh haha not sorry not yet! Was just browsing as I've met an electrician whom I wanna show what Mick said.
It really depends on the actual fault as they all manifest with the same symptom but the diagnosis can be slightly different. Ultimately though, constructing a new mini loom from pedal to ECU and then ECU to TB works great (Depending on the ability of the person building the loom sections).
Right now it's a right pain, it's minus temperatures over here, i feel really sorry for the car. Luckily mine only goes onto limpo mode once, then once its warmed up I can stop and restart it and it runs fine - electrical fault away. Unlike some people on here reported their cars randomly going into limp mode while driving.
I'll check with the electrician and hopefully be able to update you,

Clio sport 172
Does your limp mode go away on its own? Cause I need to stop and restart. So sometimes it takes a minute, but sometimes I drive it for some time, and it must be warm already because when stopped and restarted then the fault has gone away, so it's like it's an open loop or something.. Does your car throw the MIL light too?

Clio 172
Does your limp mode go away on its own? Cause I need to stop and restart. So sometimes it takes a minute, but sometimes I drive it for some time, and it must be warm already because when stopped and restarted then the fault has gone away, so it's like it's an open loop or something.. Does your car throw the MIL light too?
No it doesn’t go on its own, it will be up to temp and still in limp mode but when I stop and restart it then it’s cleared and fine. And yes but not everytime, only if it’s upset by the sparadic idling or cutting out. Sometimes it won’t show the MIL. I take it a year on as once as it got to the warmer months it was fine so you left it?;)

Clio sport 172
No it doesn’t go on its own, it will be up to temp and still in limp mode but when I stop and restart it then it’s cleared and fine. And yes but not everytime, only if it’s upset by the sparadic idling or cutting out. Sometimes it won’t show the MIL. I take it a year on as once as it got to the warmer months it was fine so you left it?;)
So the limp mode is just like mine, only mine has had the MIL on ever since I got it. Yeah I didn't bother in the summer months because it's so hard to actually even explain to someone what's going on. I mean the fault will have gone away by the time I get to the garage soo.. No one has ever plugged it with the zigzag on 😂 I take it the person who sold it to me knew about it but didn't say a word. I'm defo going to have someone to have a closer look at it, the electrician suggested it's most likely the electrics as I was thinking of cleaning out the throttle body as well.
It does struggle to start sometimes, it'll crank until I depress gas pedal. Erratic idle too but it's been pretty reliable, except for when it throws the zigzag light 😂

Clio 172
So the limp mode is just like mine, only mine has had the MIL on ever since I got it. Yeah I didn't bother in the summer months because it's so hard to actually even explain to someone what's going on. I mean the fault will have gone away by the time I get to the garage soo.. No one has ever plugged it with the zigzag on 😂 I take it the person who sold it to me knew about it but didn't say a word. I'm defo going to have someone to have a closer look at it, the electrician suggested it's most likely the electrics as I was thinking of cleaning out the throttle body as well.
It does struggle to start sometimes, it'll crank until I depress gas pedal. Erratic idle too but it's been pretty reliable, except for when it throws the zigzag light 😂
The only thing that seems different is the brakes seem to have no relevance with my issue. I had it plugged in when the zigzag come on and it doesn’t show anything further than
257- Throttle Valve Position Sensor Circuit Coherence Between Track 1 And Track 2

I’ve never had an issue with mine starting, starts on the key first time no issues. What have you tried so far? I’ve cleaned all fuses ,relays and the white connector. Cleaned the throttle and brake pedal sensors. Cleaned the face of the throttle body (will be taking it off to do the whole thing)

Clio sport 172
The only thing that seems different is the brakes seem to have no relevance with my issue. I had it plugged in when the zigzag come on and it doesn’t show anything further than
257- Throttle Valve Position Sensor Circuit Coherence Between Track 1 And Track 2

I’ve never had an issue with mine starting, starts on the key first time no issues. What have you tried so far? I’ve cleaned all fuses ,relays and the white connector. Cleaned the throttle and brake pedal sensors. Cleaned the face of the throttle body (will be taking it off to do the whole thing)
Oh well done, you've done a better job than I 😆 I'll try cleaning out the throttle body eventually, although the electrician says it's mostly likely electronics. Waiting on the wiring diagram for it and I think he's going to try do what Mick suggested.
Fun fact other than the cold and idle, car runs fine I have even tracked it and no issues whatsoever 🤔

Clio sport 172
Just to update, I have swapped the pedal but as expected, that didn't fix the fault. It's going to have to see an electrician

Clio sport 172
Strangest thing happened this morning, 5 degrees outside here. Went to start the car and obviously the zig zag was on. Switched the ignition off, depressed the pedal, switched it back on, and boom,💥 as if by magic, the zigzag was off. Started the car and drive off with no issues. 🙃🤔 What's going on here 😂😂

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Mine was intermittent, sometimes it would come on when first time driving the car after a few days, sometimes it came on an hour into a motorway journey. Yours may be linked to temperature, but mine definitely wasn’t and I think it’s unlikely.
Can pick up a used TB cheap enough and at least see if it changes your symptoms.

Clio sport 172
I'll definitely look into that, i think we're going to strip the wiring too but TB would do with a clean out regardless. I'm lucky because like I said in previous posts, my car doesn't go in limp mode randomly, it'll only happen when I start it in the cold and once warmed up and started again I can run it all day and the fault won't be there. So it's been fairly reliable even in temperatures below zero, was it gets warm 😁. I would not like to have it go into limp mode out of the blue on the motorway or something 😳

Clio sport 172
I'll definitely look into that, i think we're going to strip the wiring too but TB would do with a clean out regardless. I'm lucky because like I said in previous posts, my car doesn't go in limp mode randomly, it'll only happen when I start it in the cold and once warmed up and started again I can run it all day and the fault won't be there. So it's been fairly reliable even in temperatures below zero, was it gets warm 😁. I would not like to have it go into limp mode out of the blue on the motorway or something 😳
Once not was *

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah that's when it's bad, I had it come on at the start of a long journey back from Manchester, would not go off as much as I tried restarting the car. 65mph or so was as quick as I could get it, just quicker than lorries, but not quick enough to get past them in a timely manner.
That wasn't a fun drive home.

Clio sport 172
Yeah that's when it's bad, I had it come on at the start of a long journey back from Manchester, would not go off as much as I tried restarting the car. 65mph or so was as quick as I could get it, just quicker than lorries, but not quick enough to get past them in a timely manner.
That wasn't a fun drive home.
Certainly can't have been a fun drive, sorry to hear 😣 the closest I've come to this was when the turbo on my old 1.9 tdi went, no acceleration, no overtaking. Again. It would go away after stopping and restarting the car 🤣
Strangest thing happened this morning, 5 degrees outside here. Went to start the car and obviously the zig zag was on. Switched the ignition off, depressed the pedal, switched it back on, and boom,💥 as if by magic, the zigzag was off. Started the car and drive off with no issues. 🙃🤔 What's going on here 😂😂
I've done the same trick this morning. 3 degrees outside, zigzag on. Held the pedal depressed for a few seconds. Kept switching the ignition off and on until the zigzag went away. Magic 🙃

Clio sport 172
Hi all,
1 degree in Scotland this morning. Went to start the car, ignition on, zigzag on, I unplugged the inlet air temperature sensor, that cleared the fault.. Let the idle car idle like that for a couple of minutes till it was half warm. Turned the engine off. Plugged the sensor in. Turned the ignition on. No fault. Drove away without limp mode and stupid revving🤷🏻‍♀️
I did not play with the sensor with the engine running and did not drive it with the sensor unplugged so can't tell what would happen in that case.

Clio trophy
Out of interest did you manage to solve this issue? Mines been having the same problem for a few years, only mine was very sporadic and not temperature related but it’s every time I drive the car now. I’ve changed everything (new sparks, leads, injectors, pedal, throttle, brown relays, cleaned fuse plug) would an auto electrician be my only hope?

Clio sport 172
If it's on every time then perhaps coil pack wiring? Are you able to check that? 🤔
No i did not fix mine, it now also struggles to start in warm weather -zigzag doesn't come on, but I have to fully depress the pedal otherwise it would crank till battery dies. But I'm going to do a compression test on it first to rule out

KivsGarage

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Track Car
So I currently have this issue.
Things I've done so far:

Unplugged the white block connector at the bottom of the fusebox, separated the blue connector from inside the block connector on the female side.

I continuity tested from the throttle pedal loom to that blue female connector. Can confirm I had continuity on each pin.

I then continuity tested between the male blue connector to the ECU and had continuity on each pin.

I then did the same from the throttle pedal plug to the ECU.

I tried a new throttle body and had no luck.

I tried replacing the inlet temperature sensor. No luck.

My last bet is to try a new throttle pedal and see if this works.

Shame the owner of the post didn't post the solution.

Clio sport 172
So I currently have this issue.
Things I've done so far:

Unplugged the white block connector at the bottom of the fusebox, separated the blue connector from inside the block connector on the female side.

I continuity tested from the throttle pedal loom to that blue female connector. Can confirm I had continuity on each pin.

I then continuity tested between the male blue connector to the ECU and had continuity on each pin.

I then did the same from the throttle pedal plug to the ECU.

I tried a new throttle body and had no luck.

I tried replacing the inlet temperature sensor. No luck.

My last bet is to try a new throttle pedal and see if this works.

Shame the owner of the post didn't post the solution.
Great work! I have replaced my throttle pedal, it didn't fix the issue 🙄

KivsGarage

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Track Car
Great work! I have replaced my throttle pedal, it didn't fix the issue 🙄
Have you continuity tested your wires?

I've just ordered a pedal. I'll keep you updated.

Mine is in limp mode from start up and will not go away🤦🏽

Clio sport 172
Have you continuity tested your wires?

I've just ordered a pedal. I'll keep you updated.

Mine is in limp mode from start up and will not go away🤦🏽
No I did not, never got round to it although I definitely should check continuity. My limp mode won't go away on its own, but I figured if I stop the engine and start it once it's warmer, the fault isn't there. So I let it sit in limp mode rev like crazy for a couple of minutes (sometimes longer) then restart. So I would say it's definitely temperature related, but how exactly I don't know.. And why would the ECU not switch limp mode off on its own once the engine gets warm, it's like I have to reset it manually 😆 Usually it's enough to be able start it without the fault throughout the rest of the day. This is why I never been able to plug it in- I don't have a diagnostic tool and could not drive to the nearest garage with car in limp mode. So by the time I get there, car has been warm and fault won't come back until another day. I have also left the car parked at the garage for a few days in a row for them to investigate but they claim the fault never came on 😆 hopeless 😂