ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Throttle probs phase 1 input welcome

Clio 172 phase 1
Okay so usual old trouble with the ( stickey ) phase 1 throttle... Mines a bit wiered tho every now and then when pulling to the light the revs rise they get stuck at 2k but seem to rise to 3 it take a firm blip of the throttle and they go back Normal it's gettin a bit annoying now as I just look like a right prick revving for no reason :( I've cleand the spring and it appears to be clean any other ideas when starting it idles fine alough lumpy so I've ruled out the icv what's the score with the tps sensor on these tho? Giving up slowly now and it's either £270 or £340 for a brand new one from
renault :( depending on numbers on the old one ... Not a fan of a 2nd hand one either... Welcome other people experience fixes and advice :)

Clio 172 phase 1
I don't think it the cable as it moved freely when pulled it's messed up I think my only option is to get one direct from Renault but even thru work we don't get much discount :( I work for Ecp and it's a shame it's not the later fly by wire as I could get one for a good price :( arh well price to pay for smiles lol :)

RenaultSport 172
I had this problem on mine for a while. I ended up taking the TB off and cleaning with tons of wd40. Seems to be normal again now

53 Clio's & counting
butterfly worn, moving side to side slightly and sticking on the walls of the body - I must have seen a hundred like it.

So much I made a guide on how to make them as good as possible (involves lubricating them - a lot of work involved) in fact I used to supply a service of cleaning them to solve it - I still have 3 ph1 tb's in the garage lol

Mec 350 slk manual
I don't think it the cable as it moved freely when pulled it's messed up I think my only option is to get one direct from Renault but even thru work we don't get much discount :( I work for Ecp and it's a shame it's not the later fly by wire as I could get one for a good price :( arh well price to pay for smiles lol :)
I think the tb is on back order from Renault ,

Clio 172 phase 1
Do you have a link to said guide? Im
no stranger to work and I'm very mechanically minded so wouldn't bother me

Clio 172 phase 1
Okay so had the it all apart this morn seems to be like Russ said the butterfly is sticking open feels rough in the housing .... What's the score bit of scotch and just polish it smooth and hope for the best or is the only option to wait for a new body ??

Clio 172 phase 1
Money's abit tight this month as I have had loads of bills like loads so I need to try and fix mine as best as possible and then the end of the month make a purchase I don't want to be messing people around asking the to " hold onto it " im just not that guy :)

As mentioned further up, the butterfly always gets pulled across to the cable side and if unchecked will bind on the body just before fully closed - common on a number of cable throttle bodies.To check this when it sticks and you have renewed the cable (or completely ruled this out as the problem), blip the throttle and the sharp movement will close it!). Make sure that the TB is extremely well cleaned. Take the sensor off the other end of the spindle and you'll see the spindle retaining clip. With a small screwdriver work around the base of the clip, pushing it further onto the spindle (Move the butterfly each time you tighten to check progress) This will centre the butterfly. Be careful not to over tighten, though a light tap on the spindle end will cure this if you do. Lube always helps...but on its own, if this is your problem, it will return when the lube dries out. This may be of help to you.

If the internals are a little pitted just hold the butterfly out of the way and smooth very carefully with fine wet and dry. The only point that is really critical is the machined ring area that the butterfly mates to when fully shut. If you go at this area too much the seal will not be as good when closed which may affect the idle. BUT whatever you do on the cable side as regards cleaning will not stop the binding unless the butterfly is dealt with as i mentioned above. Good luck.