ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ticking noise from 172 cup

Clio cup 172
hi, i've noticed a clicking/ticking noise coming from the engine of my 172 cup. Does anyone know if i should be concerned? I've heard that you should change the oil. Also does anyone know the best oil to use? Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers

Iceberg 172
How long have you had the Cup for mate?

Have you checked the oil??? When was it last changed?

It could be a load of things!

182 cup
Oh man, I've just been through this myself. Search on here - many threads and common problem. Not a mechanic but from my own searching -

Look into oil first off. If it's when idling and coming from around drivers wheel arch - look up charcoal cannister (minor). If engine sounds like a diesel on start up - look up dephaser (major). Many other possibilities including lifters, spark plugs etc.

Clio cup 172
I've only had the cup since last sept, only covered 7k. The guy told me it was serviced just before he sold it to me but no receipts, so its time I gave it a good going over. Now that you mention it, the ticking noise seems as if its behind the front bumper (at drivers side) so could be the charcoal filter. If you rev slightly the ticking speeds up. What do you think guys

172 cup
I've only had the cup since last sept, only covered 7k. The guy told me it was serviced just before he sold it to me but no receipts, so its time I gave it a good going over. Now that you mention it, the ticking noise seems as if its behind the front bumper (at drivers side) so could be the charcoal filter. If you rev slightly the ticking speeds up. What do you think guys

mine does this, I thought it was just because the cambelt was new:dead:

Clio cup 172
My cam belt was changed about 5k ago, the ticking noise to starting to annoy me, hope its nothing too serious - i'll chang oil and spark plugs and see how I go, its a process of elimination mate...

172 cup
My cam belt was changed about 5k ago, the ticking noise to starting to annoy me, hope its nothing too serious - i'll chang oil and spark plugs and see how I go, its a process of elimination mate...

I had mine changed plugs and oil that is in January with NWP so I doubt mine could be that.

Anything else it could be peeps?

Go and check your oil level pronto.

If it is low/black do a full oil and filter change.

Then check the carbon canister

ITB'd MK1
mine does this, I thought it was just because the cambelt was new:dead:

shouldn't do that. I dont know how it was done, but i always flush the inside of the VVT pulley very thoroughly, and they seem to get noisy after a cambelt change if this isn't done

182 cup
If you rev it higher and the noise stops and it sounds like it's coming from around that wheel arch - good chance it's the charcoal cannister. Do a search - you can disconnect it yourself to see if that's the problem costing you nothing.