ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tightening Downpipe

How do I do this and is it to a torque setting ?? The reason is Ive had this very irritating knocking noise for a while now. I was putting my de-cat back on after my MOT and decided to try and locate the noise and its the downpipe knocking were it joins the engine [the bit with the springs ???] Any other valver owners suffered this and cured it ??

Thanks a lot,

Mike.

Mr2 Roadster

Its more to do with the fitment of the rest of the mounts as the downpipe has a lot of movement in it as standard.

Is it a big job to take off and re-fit ?? Cant see a way of getting to it unless you are a midget ? I know theyre supposed to have some movement with the engine or itd snap but I could make it knock with one finger !?

Mr2 Roadster

I have never taken mine off... You really need to speak to BenR or Jay on this one, they will be able to clarify it for you!

check that the asbestor fire ring isnt corroded and broken/crumbly.

you just take it off and tighten it up, nothing scientific.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

check the sealing ring as ben says and maybe fit some new springs.also check the rest of the exhaust is correctly fitted so not excessivly straining the front pipe foint.

Ok cheers, have you re-fitted all this because to be honest, I couldnt see a way of getting to it with my bare handes without taking the whole car to pieces !?

I am going to take mine of next week so that I can fit my new heat rap to the manifold. Will let you know how it goes.

Excellent, cheers mate ! Although I may have paid someone to do it by then, it sounds like one of those jobs where you lose your knuckles and wish youd never started it in the first place, then it gets dark and your car is in pieces still !

Mike, there is ample space if you take off the manifold heat shield. I find it easiest to take the bottom nut off by hooking your arm under the coolant pipes from the expansion bottle, but then again im a tiny guy and my hand fits almost anywhere.

Gaz, with the heat wrap wear gloves! and soak the wrap in a bucket of water before you start. The glass fibre shards stick in your skin and itch like hell if you dont. And im assuming the manifold is off, or your life will be hard!

Overlap each wrap by 1/2" or 50% of the wrap width, which ever is smaller, make sure its even all the way round or youll get hot spots. When done spray it with a silicone based wrap spray which will extend the life of it by about 50%. And when you turn the engine on itll SMOKE!!!! (like your engine bay is on fire) like hell, itll do it till cured which can be quite a while.

If you know this already, soz! :D