ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Time for a speaker upgrade in the 182

BMW 120i Sport

All,

Now that the 182 has bedded in and im totally satisfied, I want to look at changing the stock speakers. I dont want to change the headunit because I hate the way a third party one looks different to the rest of the centre console - the Cabasse renault unit looks really good and matches the interior.

My days of 6x9s and hoooooj subs are over (i never get a chance to listen to anything loud) and im listening to The Eagles / Keane more than anything else :oops:. I want to keep the speakers where they belong and discrete.

So that leads me onto my options. I understand the 182 has full range 13cm/5" units in the back and component 13cm/5" unit in the front door with the tweeters in the obvious position in the dash - what speakers are going to be a worthwhile upgrade? If I upgrade the fronts, does the Clio have a built in crossover than I can continue to use, or will I have to use the crossover supplied with the new speakers?

Any suggestions or speaker opinions welcome. I dont want to skimp and money isnt really much of an object (although i see you can pay about £300 for components - not that pricey ;)).

Ive had a Vibe sub in the past and it was bloody good, so I was maybe thinking about http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=3749&tab=1&osCsid=31bd883058da3584ba6e7994adf8c8fdthese

[Edited by Big G on 12/28/2004 5:18:49 PM].

G

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

Firstly G you do need to use the crossovers from the new speakers.

Have a look at these Genesis that AJRMotorsport has and still likes I think!

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=3018&osCsid=bbc06ecee212993d160ea535fce1b088Genesis

or these

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=2374&osCsid=bbc06ecee212993d160ea535fce1b088DLS

For the back have a look at these

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=3361&osCsid=bbc06ecee212993d160ea535fce1b088DLS

or go for those Vibe for just a little less

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Seriously.........

it is NOT worth upgrading the speakers before the headunit.

The standard headunit really is poor, and it really is the weakest link in the standard setup.

Its been the same score since the 172s etc.

Veilsided MR2 Rev3 Turbo

As Cocopops said, no point spending £150-200 on componenets and putting 15 watts rms into them. Waste of money to be honest. Know what you mean about losing the flow of the dash, but just changed my head unit, and it sounds so much better, even on standard speakers.

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z

Nakamichi headunits are very similar to OE equipment- plain black unit, exceptional quality but youll pay for it! Really do need to replace the HU first as the other guys have said. Youll prob notice the OE speakers sound slightly better with an aftermarket unit as well.

BMW 120i Sport

Hmmm, I might just leave it then - Ive got my heart set on not removing the headunit. Strange, Cabasse are make some really high end audio equipment and it seems odd that their headunit is poor.

Ford Fiesta

Quote: Originally posted by Big G on 29 December 2004

Hmmm, I might just leave it then - Ive got my heart set on not removing the headunit. Strange, Cabasse are make some really high end audio equipment and it seems odd that their headunit is poor.

Ive left mine for the same reason, want to keep the OE look.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Quote: Originally posted by Tom on 29 December 2004
Cabbase had about as much input into that head unit as i had into the apollo 11 program.

Thats what I thought. :)

Quote: Originally posted by mcoppen on 28 December 2004

As Cocopops said, no point spending £150-200 on componenets and putting 15 watts rms into them. Waste of money to be honest. Know what you mean about losing the flow of the dash, but just changed my head unit, and it sounds so much better, even on standard speakers.

just to be picky but the OE 172/182 headunit actually has a 4x40n watt output unlike the rest of the range.

Quote: Originally posted by Liam182 on 29 December 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Big G on 29 December 2004

Ive left mine for the same reason, want to keep the OE look.
then have a look at he becker range of head units, they are very good quality units, often overlooked as they dont have the same amount of flashy lights as a sony unit, sound quality is 2nd to none for the money and they retain the OE appearance better than most after market units

Clio Phase II 16V

Could be fiddley but how about fitting a graphic equaliser / amp compination in the glove box and wiring it all up. that way you retain the standard set-up and have a hidden box of tricks to provide you with the good sound ?

BMW 120i Sport

Quote: Originally posted by Liam182 on 29 December 2004
Quote: Originally posted by Big G on 29 December 2004Hmmm, I might just leave it then - Ive got my heart set on not removing the headunit. Strange, Cabasse are make some really high end audio equipment and it seems odd that their headunit is poor.[/QUOTE] Ive left mine for the same reason, want to keep the OE look.

Liam, have you still got the standard speakers or did you upgrade them?

Tom, that HU does look nice - what model is that? Oh, hoover out your footwell will ya ;)

G

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

iirc toms is teh 9835 or 9833.

Both can be colour mapped to orange iirc (ie select from 256 colours)

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

yup

[Edited by Tom on 01 January 2005 at 9:20pm]

its 512 but hey

i have a Nakamichi headunit with focal speakers and they are amped but before the amp they still sounded amazing.

the good thing about the nak is that is does not look that special it is neat and tidy and easy to use.

the focals i have are the polyglass all round they are very good and the best for the money. my mate has utopia stuff and they are really amazing but you will be looking at spending £500 plus.

go for a nak they are worth the money and focals are very good you will not be disappointed

BMW 120i Sport

I had a look at the Focal stuff and its pretty expensive for what it is, 13cm Polyglass units are £250 a pair when you can buy a complete set of very high quality HiFi speakers for *less* money (http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1145KEF Q1 for example). Im sure theyre very good speakers though.

I dont mind spending decent money on good speakers, but anything above £150 is getting a bit silly imo :).

Ford Fiesta

Quote: Originally posted by AliasOmega on 02 January 2005

Id just leave it as standard. If you set the bass and treble right you can get it up to a decent volume..

what do u set it to for normal listening, mine is on + 5 for both

RenaultSport Clio 172 Mk2

lol, I have mine set to full treble and +6 to +9 bass in my 172 dependent on the production of the music!!

Shhh

Depends on the music you listen too, i prefer not to knacker me speakers as i listen to a lot of radio 1, dance music etc so i have it on +4 bass, and about +3 treble..could be the other way round, like to have it on about 22/23 when im driving depending on the road surface and what speed im doing.

RX-8

I had the same problem Ive started by fitting some Pioneer 160W 3 ways which replaced the standard rear speakers but doesnt seem to have improved the sound much so I think the headunit needs to go next! was thinking of replacing the fronts by buying a component set and just using the midrange speakers and leaving the standard tweeters, will I really need to use the crossover though as presumably one must already be fitted?