ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Timing adjustment?

My auxbelt sheared a few days ago and has since been replaced,however the car isnt driving right atall and ive been told its most likely the valve timing has been put out of alignment,im guessing the belt has slipped a tooth?

What work is involved in sorting this and how much should i expect to pay?

Cheers.

Chelsea tractor
My aux belt sheared a few days ago too! I just had both belts changed at the same time, thought I might as well.

Ive had the aux belt changed now mate and the cambelts only been on a year or so,its just the timing that needs sorting.

Thats what people keep saying mate,any idea what the fix is?I need it sorting tomorrow as i need the car for monday but i dont want to turn up at the garage and get bent over for work i dont need doing!

M

mini-valver

Only proper way to sort it is to whack a cam belt kit on (unless you've had the cambelt kit replaced recently, in that case, just fit a new belt) and re-time it. Then hope you haven't clipped a valve.

How would i know if ive clipped a valve mate?The plan was just to re-time it and hope that does the trick!

M

mini-valver

Does it miss??

I'd want to pull the belt off to check there's no bits of aux belt or any other foreign object in or around any of the pulleys.

The RAC dude cut off any of the aux belt that was hanging around then we went to a garage and got the aux belt fitted.The car starts and drived but at about 2.5k revs it makes a nasty sort of woody woodpecker noise and i get off the revs.

Any ideas?

M

mini-valver

Vaaallllvvvveeeesssssssssss.

You'd expect it at any RPM though really. compression test first, if that shows nothing, I'd honestly strip the belt assembly, re-time and cross your fingers.

M

mini-valver

Depends entirely on what the C.test throws up. If its ok and just a re-time around the £200 mark inc. new belt.

Which belt would need doing?

Thanks alot for the help,its quite a big worry at the moment as i was supposed to be back at uni/work on monday and ive been waiting for the car to be sorted all week which hasnt happened so im currently losing money/marks not having it on the road!