ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Timing Belt/Cam Belt???

Hey, wonder if you guys could lend me a hand, other day i was driving down the road when i heard what i thought was a stone or something trapped in my wheel but i put my windows down and it was coming from the bonnet, popped the bonnet and there was like a frayed bit of rubber belt flicking the air con tube when it was idling as it was rotating. Dumb question but which one would be the timing belt and which one would be the cam belt?? Im going to have to get this fixed asap, but i dont really know alot about mechanics etc. I managed to snip it away as a quick fix to stop it ripping it out completely. Also how much am i looking at approximatly to get the belt replaced ??
Thanks!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
timing belt and cambelt are the same thing, what car do you have?

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
expect its the aux belt if its a clio as the cambelt is covered...(abit) would be the obvious belt to look at... needs changing now to avoid it letting go and taking cam belt with it i would say

Ah :rolleyes: that would explain my confusion ha ha, well it happened about an hour ago and the only light source i had was a mobile phone lol its a Renault Clio 1.4 16v it was only a tiny little frayed bit of the belt and the noise has went away now, but obviously its not going to be very reliable its going to need fixing as soon as me thinks. Any idea on prices to fit the new belt??

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
i'd say get it done soon as. the problem will come if the belt lets go and snaps... price wise its anyones game.. will probs cost more if you have aircon... might be a good idea to have cambelt done at the same time if its near the limits of change...