ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Timing belt or valve gaps?

04 clio extreme 4
1.2l 16v petrol 84k miles. Sounding ratchety, like a diesel. Is this more likely a stretched timing belt or valve rocker gaps? No performance issues, just not sounding like its running smooth.

04 clio extreme 4
What age is the belt on it?
No idea. Ive only had it for the last 3k miles and theres no receipts in the history. I dunno if its never been changed. Im having it changed anyway.
What age is the belt on it?
No idea. Could be the original. Can't find anything in the paperwork. Only chance of finding out is phone the place that serviced it for the last owner. Last owner is deceased so cant ask them.

04 clio extreme 4
1.2l 16v petrol 84k miles. Sounding ratchety, like a diesel. Is this more likely a stretched timing belt or valve rocker gaps? No performance issues, just not sounding like its running smooth.

Attachments

• VID_20230701_190650.mp4
    215.6 MB

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Yea doesn't sound great does it!

When was it last serviced? How frequently is it serviced? Sounds like the dephaser to me. If it has no record of having the timing belt changed I would assume its due, a good place will change the dephaser at the same time.

It could also be one of the idle pulleys, the bearings can go bad. Does the noise change when you switch the AC on/off?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
The ticking sounds normal, but the odd uneven noise sounds like a bearing on the rotation side, id put my cash on the water pump, for all it costs id get the timing belt and water pump changed and make sure they change the aux tensioner/roller too.

04 clio extreme 4
The ticking sounds normal, but the odd uneven noise sounds like a bearing on the rotation side, id put my cash on the water pump, for all it costs id get the timing belt and water pump changed and make sure they change the aux tensioner/roller too.
That was my thinking. Its all getting replaced. Belt, water pump, tensioner, crank pulley and bolt, alternator and air con belt, new seals and gaskets, and having the rocker gaps done. I got quoted £700 for parts and fitting but soon wangled a "free" mechanic friend into it and just bought the bits myself. Was £186 shipped and he wants £50 and a crate of stella so im getting a good deal.

04 clio extreme 4
Yea doesn't sound great does it!

When was it last serviced? How frequently is it serviced? Sounds like the dephaser to me. If it has no record of having the timing belt changed I would assume its due, a good place will change the dephaser at the same time.

It could also be one of the idle pulleys, the bearings can go bad. Does the noise change when you switch the AC on/off?
Serviced in february, bout 2.5k miles ago. Changed the oil bout 2 weeks ago when I noticed the sound to see if it had shifted something floaty but made no difference and didn't see anything suspect on the filter. As the person below said, its the standard 1.2, 722 engine. It does seem louder about half way down the timing cover so could be water pump bearing making the "chirping" kinda rough noise but was wondering what the tickyness was.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
That was my thinking. Its all getting replaced. Belt, water pump, tensioner, crank pulley and bolt, alternator and air con belt, new seals and gaskets, and having the rocker gaps done. I got quoted £700 for parts and fitting but soon wangled a "free" mechanic friend into it and just bought the bits myself. Was £186 shipped and he wants £50 and a crate of stella so im getting a good deal.
£50 and a crate of stella is a good deal! its a nice easy job on that engine right enough, first timing belt i done was a D4F and its a good one to start with! few months later i moved onto the F4R!

04 clio extreme 4
Update. Had things done and the crank pulley wasn't put on right. First start, span off centre and flapped about, snapped both aux belts. Supposedly didn't cause anything else tho. Still £300 to put right and it's not getting fixed till Tuesday. I wish I'd have done the work now but ho hum. Spendy spendy. Might sell it on to recover some costs and get something newer.

04 clio extreme 4
Can someone have a listen. Sounds like the timing belt is rubbing on the inside of the plastic covers. My top timing end cover gets remarkably warm. Is my tensioner screwed?

Attachments

• VID_20230721_150603.mp4
    145.9 MB