ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Timing belt

Had my timing belt done a little while back and has been low on power.

Symptoms i have pops a bit when cold letting off throttle
low power
smell a bit fuelly
and obd say the ignition timing at idle around 12.5-16 when hot dont know if this is right
also the oil smells fuelly
lumpy idle

Just wondering if this would mean the timing is out it also had a dephaser and aux belts done and done plugs ,leads and pack and im running 98 RON

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
he said he head the tools thats why i got him to do it is there any way to check the timing me self with out the tools ?

No.

You need to fit the crank pin then check the cams with the horse shoe.

right when to my mates today and checked the timing it is spot on. Then we checked the compression and his gage reads 192-195 on all cylinders which is good but means my gage must be wrong. So the problem still exists of the low power and other problems. It like its over fuelling my mate also drove my car as he has had a trophy a little while ago. He also thought it was under by 40 ish hp we were both thinking it have a rubbish map or there is a doge sensor. would Renault be able to reflash the ecu ?

Just because he got 1 right doesn't mean yours is. Trust me I've spent the last 3 weeks correcting cambelts done by other garages. One of the worst was a trader on here at one point!

Just because he got 1 right doesn't mean yours is. Trust me I've spent the last 3 weeks correcting cambelts done by other garages. One of the worst was a trader on here at one point!
really why is there so many done wrong ? checking it is easy just remove the caps and put the crank pin it hand crank the engine to the stop and put the tool in the end

If you're turning the crank to get it to stop that's wrong already.

I don't know how so many people get it wrong, but they do. If the tool doesn't slide, side to side in the cams, it's wrong.

If the crank has been locked in the balance hole instead of the locking slot, it's wrong.

If the tensioner is past 12 Oclock, it's wrong.

Like so.
Timing has gone from this:

pu2yju3e.jpg

4emehazu.jpg

nybu7y7a.jpg

To this:

dan's cast offs.
If the tensioner is past 12 Oclock, it's wrong.

i knew there was going to be something wrong with this one even before i saw the tensioner, the two spacers were missing from behind the top cover and then the tensioner...

IMAG2745_zpsd1f86e30.jpg

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
:astonished: :fearscream:SURELY NOT !!! ??

Trophy
I'm getting mine done I a couple of weeks, although I'm taking it to Diamond so should be ok. There are too many horror stories about to risk this job, but I do have sympathy for those who have been stung!