ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tips for the 1/4 mile

Just wondering if anyone can help, i have never had a go at RWYB and after going sunday i fancy having ago! I will be using my standard 2003 clio 172, any tips for getting her away from the lights as fast as possiable? (do i drop the cluch from 3000rpm, etc, etc?)

Also how do the lights work they seem abit more complicated than the traffic lights down the road?

Cheers for your help

Camel

The joy of getting off the line!! If its anything like the lights they use at Crail Raceway light bulbs on the top all go white (4) then the three orange light come on then basically go as soon as you see green not much time between orange and green. Cant give you much tips on getting off the line just try not to have too much wheelspin and just get the power down asap. Its great fun enjoy

practice launching the car sumwhere, you will pick it up, you just have to slip the clutch very quickly, dont go dumping it!!

C

Cupster

Quote: Originally posted by adcooper on 05 April 2004

Are you thiking about taking your cup up the quarter mile?
Yeah man, it would be rude not to innit?

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

The technique varies from car to car, and different drivers prefer different methods, so theres no definitive answer...

In my Cup I found that a more gentle launch with no (or minimal) wheelspin got me my best times.

Basically I was only using about 2500rpm and slipping the clutch slightly to get the power in smoothly, then nail it once youve got that initial movement and you aint lighting the front wheels up.

Ive run 14.5secs @ 94mph in a Cup with just an induction kit, so must be doing it right! ;)

Burgandy 174 sport t

eh yeah deffo turn the esp off!!!

otherwise u do what I done!!!

Lost traction and near enough stalled because of the ESP!!

Renault Laguna Coupe

Def turn the ESP and traction control off. Oh, and if you see the green light, youve probably lost - just go when you see orange! Expect low 15s if you get a good start - youll improve a lot with practice - theres a lot more to it than there might appear!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by adcooper on 05 April 2004

What time could i be expecting in my 172? Is it best to turn the ESP off?? Im really unsure about this??
In a standard mk2 172 you should be cracking mid/low 15s!

Deffo turn ESP off too...

Can you break into the 14s in a standard 172? What are the lights at the top of the tree they are the horizontal ones and there are two sets of them?

Lee

BMW M2C

I ran a 15.1 standard with a pretty bad start.

Here it is: http://www.leemather.plus.com/cliosport/sp140903/FTOvs172.wmvhttp://www.leemather.plus.com/cliosport/sp140903/FTOvs172.wmv

ESP kills it on the line so as everyone else has said, make sure its off. Also dont try and shift too quickly or youll end up crunching into gear.

As Rich says, better of starting gently with less wheel spin. It does seem to give better results.

I wish the weather would clear up so I can go and run a few this year.

You should be able to get into the high 14s. I was getting quicker each time I went last year.

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50

The launching part of the 1/4 is the most important bit.. and to be honist, there is no "secret" to it, it all varies with differnet cars and different people.. basically the lights go as followes

Yellow- stageing
Yellow - stageing (so when both lights are on.. your ready to go)
Orange-
Orange- All of these will come on together when you and the other person are ready. and these are the lights you should GO on.. otherwise your reaction time will be high
Orange-
GREEN!- Says it all really. go.

does that make sense hehe

Camel

I was getting 15.4 when my mrk1 172 was standard, had rechip plus exhast since then but had a bad day at Crail yesterday, Big Iain went passed me liken I was standing still mid range, only managed a 15.6 mind you weather was bad.......

What this stageing bit mean this is what im unsure of? Thats a cool video clip hope i can get a good start it seems to be the do or die bit!! Only 12 days to go till i can have a go.

It would be great if i can get around 15s.

Thanks everyone for all your help!

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50

the stageing is basically... when your lined up and ON the point of GOOOOO! basically its an invisable line, done by a lazer beam, when you break the beam, your ON the line.. and so the lights come on. when your both staged.. it means your both lined up

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50

erm no... your stationary. hehe.

You roll upto an invisable line (marked by a laser beam) when you get to the invisable line the stageing lights will light up. when your both there..(and stationary) the lights flash amber, then stay on green..

Im going to Shakespeare County Raceway in Stratford-Upon-Avon yer im form birminghman, going up the 17th or 18th went yesterday watched a few runs then it rainned but i was gagging to have a go and the cars only 5 months old!!!!

:D

Cheers for all your help guys and girl!!!!!

Hope i can get a good time on my first try, i will be happy if my times below 19.9s!!!!!!

:D

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I ran a 15.4 in a standard mkII 172, was my first time on the 1/4 mile strip...the mk1 should be slightly faster.

Just go along and watch for 10 minutes first, you will pick it up really easy.

Quote: Originally posted by telford_mike on 05 April 2004

just go when you see orange!

Quote: Originally posted by Bubbles on 05 April 2004
and these are the lights you should GO on.. otherwise your reaction time will be high

now now people, some of us do go on green every time, and have proven ourselves to have very good reaction times (consistently 0.7 secs)

if you are confident in your own reactions, wait til you see the green, but you need to be very quick, otherwise do as everyone else says, jump the lights on orange, there is 0.5 secs separating the orange lights, so very difficult to get a false start (less than 0.4 secs)

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 05 April 2004

Just go along and watch for 10 minutes first, you will pick it up really easy.
LOL

Its not "that" easy...

williams and trophy

did paddy break into the 14s?? thort he was runnin 15.0s lol

as for the lights.....if u see green uv definately lost lol

as sum1 said earlier, the 3 amber lights have just 0.5 secs between the 1st n 3rd lights illuminating.....0.7 i would not consider as a good reaction time personally, but....

my persoanal best r/t was 0.409 when york was runnin with a 0.400 sec delay on the 3 lights.

usually 0.5-0.7 average r/t tho.....

the green lite is to show that u have waited longer than the 0.5 sec delay between the lights before u break the beam.............not to be mistaken for the light that means go............lol.....like i say if u see the green lite ......ur already 1/2 sec behind whoever ur racin

u wanna be aimin at 2.2,2.3 sec 60 ft times or lower if poss

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by 2 live on 06 April 2004

did paddy break into the 14s?? thort he was runnin 15.0s lol
Aye, he pulled a 14.7 with it stripped bare... ;)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 05 April 2004
Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 05 April 2004Just go along and watch for 10 minutes first, you will pick it up really easy.
LOLIts not "that" easy...

Nah its easy, just watch a set of cars lining up and watch the white lights.. you will see what everyone means. The hard bit is deffo getting a good start, minimizing wheelspin.

I would like to state that my 15.4 was in a non stripped 172 with over half a tank of fuel. I reckon with less fuel and stripped I could get 15.0, possibly into the 14s ... Deffinatly go on orange, my best reaction time was 0.302

I had over half a tank of petrol as well :D Whens the rematch? Had a blast vs MAC30L last night and I think your 172 would get a bit of a caining from his Cup.... Will see if hes up for a meet at Crail in May.

BMW 320d Sport

Yeah its all pretty much said already. Roll up, dont worry about the other lane, watch your lights, the pre-stage lights come up meaning youre in the right position. If the lights flicker or dont come on, you need to adjust your position. The stage light comes on once both cars are pre-staged - again so you dont have to worry about the other lane. The stage light means the other lane has sorted themselves out. Thats why its best to get lined up first if you can, cos then you can relax and wait for the other lane to stage. But what do I know...Ive not been quarter miling for bloody ages LOL

One last thing - or two. Firstly dont worry too much about a good launch on your first few goes. Just get used to the lights. If you see the green, it doesnt matter, just go on green, itll be fine. Reaction time is NOT counted in your quarter mile overall time (ET). Therefore you will quite often see seasoned quarter milers in serious motors not even bother trying to get off the line half a sec after the orange. Theyll sit on a green for a second or two cos its more important to them to get the right launch than to beat the other lane. It matters not one bit when they go, because their ET is calculated from when your car actually moves - the clock does NOT start when the light goes green. However, if you jump the green light and go on orange, there is a very real possibility that you will not record a time at all, therefore youve wasted your run. As a beginner its not worth the bother. Just go on green!

Secondly, the best launch method in any car is to be just on the verge of wheelspin for the first 60 feet. If youre actually wheelspinning youre wasting power. If youre not about to wheelspin, youre bogging down and not using the power that your cars got. If youre just on the verge of spinning up, that means your tyres are working to their absolute limit of traction, which is what you need. go down your local industrial estate and practice this.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Neil82cup on 06 April 2004
I had over half a tank of petrol as well :D Whens the rematch? Had a blast vs MAC30L last night and I think your 172 would get a bit of a caining from his Cup.... Will see if hes up for a meet at Crail in May.

The rematch ? well I will run you up the strip again but unless I sabotage your car with a bannana up the tailpipe I think we will know the outcome ;)

Whats Mac got done to his Cup ? are you faster than him cause if you are it might be worth me having a run against him, ye May 16th would be ideal, thats the next time im going up.. cant be bothered with the Max power crew..

PS. Cool found my times online.. those 16+ second ones are with 3 people in the car, gonna do more runs on my own next time.

http://www.crailraceway.co.uk/times.asp?CarNumber=31http://www.crailraceway.co.uk/times.asp?CarNumber=31

Macs is standard but is pretty quick, couldnt hold onto me but I think I pulled about 2 cars on him 30-110.

P.S are you from the Aberrrdeeen area?