ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

To 200, or to 197, that is the question.

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
Hi all,
after much deliberation (seriously a lot) I have decided the next car will be another RS, however it will be a much newer, lower mileage version.

Netherlands prices of cars is off the charts, but I have to buy here as buying abroad incurs massive tax and import charges.

I cant stretch to a 200T, so I am looking at the 197 or the 200.

A few quick questions to help me decide.

1) I have done some reading, there seems to be a few little difference to the steering rack and gearing of the 200. Does this warrant buying the 200 over the 197?

2) Are there technical differences in either that make one more reliable than the other?

3) If you had the option to buy a 197 and a few subtle mods (coilovers, arb, etc) or a standard 200, which would you choose?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Listerine & Poledo
If it was an R27 197, in yellow, no contest. 197 all day. stock -v- stock.
If you want a low-mile, good-condition option, surely a younger 200 is the way to go though.

Clio 197
1) The 200 has a quicker steering rack but can be retrofitted to the 197
2) Not any technical differences in terms of reliability. The 200s also suffer from the same 3rd/4th gear synchro problem as the 197.
3) I went for the 197

The 197 is much better looking than the 200 imo. The 200 is just plain ugly from the front. God knows what the designers were smoking when they thought of that facelift. In addition to that the 200 only has 4 seats (not sure if it matters). But at the end of the day, its your money so go for the car that you're happy with

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
I actually perfer the 197. I'm asking as I wanted to see if there were any reasons why I should go for the newer 200

Clio 197
I actually perfer the 197. I'm asking as I wanted to see if there were any reasons why I should go for the newer 200
To be honest there really aren't any significant reasons as to why a 200 would be chosen over a 197 (not being biased haha) apart from spec/colour. 99% of the mechanicals are the same. Same goes for the interior as the only difference in the 200 is a different seat colour scheme/design and a yellow rev counter, both of which can be easily retrofitted. Are you after a cup model/normal/FF?

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
To be honest there really aren't any significant reasons as to why a 200 would be chosen over a 197 (not being biased haha) apart from spec/colour. 99% of the mechanicals are the same. Same goes for the interior as the only difference in the 200 is a different seat colour scheme/design and a yellow rev counter, both of which can be easily retrofitted. Are you after a cup model/normal/FF?

I am looking for a cup. But to be honest, if I get a 197 its not as important. A 197 falls well under my budget of 12k. (197 here is about 8-9k with low miles and service). If I get the 197 it will be treated to a nice suspension set-up and a few other little bolt on mods. The 200 Will take up the whole budget, so will 100% have be a cup.

197 all day long..

Just to save some pennies and for the better looks. The money you save on the 197 can be put towards the good cosmetic upgrades that the offers without having the ugly front end. Plus the mods you mention above.

Unless the 197 doesn't come in a colour you like I cant see a reason to get a 200

RB Clio 182
OKg0R2sl.jpg

10984039426_7558ff5423_b.jpg

Id say the 200 was the better looking tbh.

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
Hmmm,
That's alright mate, more for me lol.

I love Amsterdam more though, can't wait to go back.

Amsterdam is great, so many international flavours. ;)

@MrTom The more I look at the 200, the more it grows on me, depends a lot on the colour. There is a Gordini for sale at the moment... it just looks odd

I love how subtle the 197 is, with the little details.

Attachments

• car_photo_396709.jpg
    car_photo_396709.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 122

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I considered the 197 tbh but after speaking to a couple of people off here I've decided against it. It depends what your after really but for me it didn't tick enough boxes. Fuel economy in comparison to other cars against performance is crap. They look nice cars though

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
I considered the 197 tbh but after speaking to a couple of people off here I've decided against it. It depends what your after really but for me it didn't tick enough boxes. Fuel economy in comparison to other cars against performance is crap. They look nice cars though
I have gone fully Dutch, I cycle most places (although on a specialized rock hopper as apposed to a bloody granny bike). The Clio is mostly a toy and mobility for those slightly longer distance trips.
I have looked at so many cars, I'm 34 and still hooked on hot hatches. The Clio is my perfect car, as sad as it is to admit.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I prefer how the 197 looks bar the rear diffuser I prefer the 200 item but that's easily sorted. however...

20% more torque low down, shorter ratios in first second and third gear I instantly felt the difference when I jumped into a 200 from an R27 and that's why I settled with it in the end!

Clio 182
I would choose a 200 out of the two. Few friends have them and they are great. Green or red imo on colours. I was in the same posistion a few months back...ended up in a 182 though...couldn't refuse the deal I got.
But red 200:hearteyes:

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I prefer how the 197 looks bar the rear diffuser I prefer the 200 item but that's easily sorted. however...
!

When they're both clean you can barely tell the difference

53E9EC69-F0EC-4F4C-A750-F273BE916A5B-643-0000011E423E3714.jpg

D95EC607-49BD-42DB-8816-41A5223A89DA-643-0000011D6751323A.jpg

542e82741049f98a5f1b9b31c7fcb1c9_zps2b313444.jpg

And with the 200 diffuser losing two of the slats in place of exhaust trims, they're losing 16kg of downforce over the 197 which sees 40kg from the diffuser*

*so says renault.

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4

20% more torque low down, shorter ratios in first second and third gear I instantly felt the difference when I jumped into a 200 from an R27 and that's why I settled with it in the end!

This! I had a 197 for two years then a 200 for another two, the 200 just did everything better. It was never a night and day difference but it just made the car more complete.

Clio 200t
Depending on your budget ofc. What about a raider? Stealth grey is immense! Only colour that id switch LY for.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
I tried a liquid yellow 200 today funnily enough. It had the recaros and only 15k miles. I was prepared to buy it if it blew me away but I was very underwhelmed. The outside looked fantastic but that was the only positive really. The Recaro seat bolster was very fluffy and would have perished very soon despite the car only having 15k .Interior seemed way too cheap and sparse compared to a 182. It was also fairly slow to pick up speed and felt a bit tame to drive.
If anyone wants one with low mileage and recaros its in Willington - cant remember the name of the garage but it is up for £11.5k but you might be able to get it for 10k . I offered them 9.5k just on the offchance they would say yes but they declined.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I tried a liquid yellow 200 today funnily enough. It had the recaros and only 15k miles. I was prepared to buy it if it blew me away but I was very underwhelmed. The outside looked fantastic but that was the only positive really. The Recaro seat bolster was very fluffy and would have perished very soon despite the car only having 15k .Interior seemed way too cheap and sparse compared to a 182. It was also fairly slow to pick up speed and felt a bit tame to drive.
If anyone wants one with low mileage and recaros its in Willington - cant remember the name of the garage but it is up for £11.5k but you might be able to get it for 10k . I offered them 9.5k just on the offchance they would say yes but they declined.
this was how I felt when I first got mine, with the 172/182 you can drive them at 75% changing gear at 6000rpm and still make quick progress, but the 200 really needs revved to the beep each gear, I found it was the last 1000rpm between 6500 and 7500 it really came alive, this matched with the short ratios made it exciting when its on the boil, but can be tiring when you just want to make quick progress without driving like a nutter

Unless its r27 I find 197's look like a 1.2

Im sure there are quite a few differences between197/200 as the magazines didnt half bark on about them when the 200 came out.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
whats the difference between a standard 197 and the r27? r27 has recaros as standard i assume, but what else??

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
OKg0R2sl.jpg

10984039426_7558ff5423_b.jpg

Id say the 200 was the better looking tbh.

Genuinely a tough call based on those pictures for me. I wouldn't really know which way to turn.

The spoiler on the 197 is essential imo - it looks overlooked, bare, and far too plain without one. If I ever got a 197 without one on, it would be the first thing to get retro-fitted.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member

Sounds a lot that. There's a LY 200 EDC round the corner from me for 13k!