ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

To buy or not to buy hmmm

Hi everybody.

Ive recently looked into buying a clio sport 172 around the 02-03 mark. I had a seat Leon cupra before this, then bought a brand new Toyota aygo, which is boring as hell but saves me a ton of cash!
Now today was my first test drive of one from a garage that was on 03 with one owner from new with full service history loads of bills for small things and big things like cambelt etc.
i didn't really have any intention of buying one at that mileage, just to see what it was like.
The things I noticed were lumpy ish tick over, back box sounded goosed and ratley, and a funny humming sound coming from what sounded like near the interior light :/. Is there any other big issues to take note of and are these things just kinda wear and tear?
I Intend to drive a few more, but for 122000 miles I didn't think it drove to badly.
Thanks in advance if anyone replies.

RS Clio 197
Hi there,

the question is really(which might sound stupid because the usual answer is as little as possible) is how much do you want to spend on the car + insurance and what ever that figure is, buy the best you can get with the money you have. It took me a while to find a 197 in good nick and low mileage and full service history, any sort of curious noises puts me off straight away, full service or lots of service history is good but if its anything over 50-60k mileage I'd wan't to know if the car has had a cambelt change.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
FSH, along with cambelt is a good buy. Mileage is irrelevant. Most of the high milers on here pull good figures on the RR.

Lumpy idle is normal, standard backboxes all rot. Buzz in interior light is dust/fluff on the climate sensor

Hpow much was this car?

It was up at £1489 but I haggled him to £1350 and the cambelt had been done. It's quite funny as he's just rung me to say have I made a decision as "somebody" else has just rung.

RenaultSport 172
The tickover on these clios is lumpy as standard so don't worry about that
Back boxes are a common problem. they only last so long
The interior light noise you heard is just a clogged up fan and can easily be sorted with a bit of cleaning

Cheers. I only intend it as a weekend play thing, and the odd commute to work. Also I like messing with cars or rather trying to learn.
Are clutches dear on clios? My Leon clutch was a bomb as the gearbox had to come off so got skinned on labour.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
You got a weblink to it? sounds good but tbf you can get some good ones for 2k if you can push it, much lower mileage and may have already had different zorsts on them already a new one will cost you £400 for an aftermarket one, Renaught one is nearly twice that.

Also get the dates out of him for when the belts were done, if they have a year left on them thats another £500 you'll be dropping in a years time, So what i am trying to get at is if you spend a bit more now you'll save in the long run, I can say this as I made this mistake in April.... Note when I joined..... I was this wretched Clio... but now I love it.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
To add after I brought Cheap, £725 for all betls, waterpump and De-phaser pulley, £399 for Longlife Stainless custom Exhaust, £80 Cup Rear Shocks, £120 for new Pads and Discs all over ( brembo ) £50 for Oil and Filter + Air filter, £80 for HT leads, £40 for Plugs, So My cheap car became more than buying a mint one, All in 2 months of ownership. Now me and the car get along.

To add after I brought Cheap, £725 for all betls, waterpump and De-phaser pulley, £399 for Longlife Stainless custom Exhaust, £80 Cup Rear Shocks, £120 for new Pads and Discs all over ( brembo ) £50 for Oil and Filter + Air filter, £80 for HT leads, £40 for Plugs, So My cheap car became more than buying a mint one, All in 2 months of ownership. Now me and the car get along.

Jesus! Sounds like a nightmare! Here's the link, doesn't tell you much though.
Like I said, I'm not buying the first thing I see just really to get a rough idea if I drive a few.
How much did you pay just out of curiosity?
http://www.pinnaclecarsyorkshire.co...renaultsport-172-3dr-keighley-201322515902640

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
If I were you I'd buy one from the classified section on here, you've got more chance of getting one that has been looked after. That black one you have been to look at appears to have an old Cavalier 2.0 badge on the boot lid, that would put me off straight away!

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Lol Defo a VX 2.0 Badge! payup and check the classifieds, there's a nice looking Flamer 172 with FSH and bits all for £2100 something. looks quite clean tbh, Decent advert as well ( if they can't spell they must be rrerereretarded owner right? )

Or wait around for a Ph1 Cup to come along, they are the best ones if you like the look of em.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Thumb grips are missing, which is a right slut of thing if i'm honest, looks alright though. good price thats for sure, too cheap, just make sure you check ever nook and cranny, signs of painting etc

I'm pretty much expecting goosed thumb grips on any in my budget, but I'm going to have a gander. Is the scorpion stainless exhaust a good system? The thing that attracts me is clutch, cambelt, exhaust etc done. BUT I'll take the fine tooth comb with me.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Sprinter shaft?

Also grates me when dealers cannot even use spell check. c***s.

No mention of belts in the 2nd one either

RS 182
I'm pretty much expecting goosed thumb grips on any in my budget, but I'm going to have a gander. Is the scorpion stainless exhaust a good system? The thing that attracts me is clutch, cambelt, exhaust etc done. BUT I'll take the fine tooth comb with me.

I have the scorpion system on my 182, although mine has a decat, but I love it!

I'm sure it said belts done less than 10k ago. Might be wrong though as I've looked at so many! Ha ha.
Are mounts not an easy ish job for some firmer ones? And I know what you mean about spelling! I won't build my hopes up, but another test drive under the belt. Thanks for all your help guys.

RS 182
its pretty loud if your hard on the throttle, but driving normal is fine! mines is booked in for Saturday to have the centre silencer removed, and replaced with a straight through pipe, to go with my decat.... that will be loud! lol

its pretty loud if your hard on the throttle, but driving normal is fine! mines is booked in for Saturday to have the centre silencer removed, and replaced with a straight through pipe, to go with my decat.... that will be loud! lol
Once upon a time I would have done this, but don't want my 5 year old to have hearing problems later in life! Ha ha. I used to have a vauxhall Nova as my first car and that was stupid loud. It was like when your ears ring after being in a club afterwards!

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Lol Defo a VX 2.0 Badge! payup and check the classifieds, there's a nice looking Flamer 172 with FSH and bits all for £2100 something. looks quite clean tbh, Decent advert as well ( if they can't spell they must be rrerereretarded owner right? )

Or wait around for a Ph1 Cup to come along, they are the best ones if you like the look of em.

Whilst the advice you give is reasonably sound, and questioning people who can't spell due to 'speshulness' is a great tactic, I can't help but snigger at someone who a couple of posts earlier says they 'brought cheap'. Where did you bring cheap to, exactly. :)

Same as saying wait for a ph1 Cup. You'll be waiting a while.........

Last edited:
  Fiesta ST2 MP215
Whilst the advice you give is reasonably sound, and questioning people who can't spell due to 'speshulness' is a great tactic, I can't help but snigger at someone who a couple of posts earlier says they 'brought cheap'. Where did you bring cheap to, exactly. :)

Same as saying wait for a ph1 Cup. You'll be waiting a while.........

Damn! I failed.

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
That silver 182 has had a front end respray. Could have been done because of stone chips but it could have been in a smash too.

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
Last edited:
Well just been for a gander and it seemed pretty good. I had a really good look under the bonnet for signs of damage and overspray but didn't spot any. (Which doesn't mean it hasn't I know)There was a huge file on all work carried out for belts, clutch etc even minor things had receipts, which looks like someone cared. But I'm always paranoid buying a second hand car but I will never impulse buy or rush. I'm going to take it out on Saturday with no real mindset on buying it, just on a compare basis. But I have seen worse on my clio voyage to be fair. Is there any major issues I should look out for on a test drive apart from the obvious knocks and bangs?

If I were looking for a 172/182 I wouldn't be looking for a cheap example, I'd go for something like this one on Pistonheads. It's probably a bit high in terms of price but would be a decent buy for £2k. I'd want to see invoices for the belt change though, any one can scribble in biro in the service book that it has been done. http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/renault/clio/renault-clio-172-sport-2-0lt-16v-69-922-miles-met-blue-1-owner-from-new/1425992

​cheers. I will look into this one also. :)

Hyundai i10
I think you're quite right..

FSH, along with cambelt is a good buy. Mileage is irrelevant. Most of the high milers on here pull good figures on the RR.

Lumpy idle is normal, standard backboxes all rot. Buzz in interior light is dust/fluff on the climate sensor

Hpow much was this car?

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
Well just been for a gander and it seemed pretty good. I had a really good look under the bonnet for signs of damage and overspray but didn't spot any. (Which doesn't mean it hasn't I know)There was a huge file on all work carried out for belts, clutch etc even minor things had receipts, which looks like someone cared. But I'm always paranoid buying a second hand car but I will never impulse buy or rush. I'm going to take it out on Saturday with no real mindset on buying it, just on a compare basis. But I have seen worse on my clio voyage to be fair. Is there any major issues I should look out for on a test drive apart from the obvious knocks and bangs?

It's missing the black inserts on the bumper, generally a good sign that it has seen paint. It could have had a front end re-spray to cover stone chips. Have you HPI checked it?

Ahhh right. No not yet as I was going to wait until the test drive before I got all serious about it. Second hand car buying is stressful! Ha ha. It's easier buying new. Just the damn aygo doesn't set the world on fire, but saves me cash! Ha ha

RS 182
The one in the above link seem's to have low profile tyres fitted, which makes it look like there is more arch gap than normal.. Not saying thats a reason not to buy, just saying what i see..

​although.. I may be corrected?

The one in the above link seem's to have low profile tyres fitted, which makes it look like there is more arch gap than normal.. Not saying thats a reason not to buy, just saying what i see..

​although.. I may be corrected?

Thanks for the observation. I wouldn't have noticed that.