ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

To cup, or not to cup...... that is the question

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
So, looks like I will be coming back to the clio fold very soon.

I've decided to stay true and get another 172, but for the life of me, I cannot decide what to get.

I love mondial blue and turinis, the whole package just looks awesome. However, not sure I can get on without aircon or xenons/auto stuff. Plus the pov interior really makes my eyes bleed!!

However, if I go for a normal 172, the only colours that really interest me are flame red (which seem to hold a premium now) or iceburg.... which seem to be really popular. I am so confused.

Clearly I will buy one on condition/performance/cambelt done as most of them are circa 70k now.

I was considering Phs1's, but the more I look at them, they are fairly ugly compared to the Phs2 :eek:

I then considered getting a cup and putting xenons in and half leather trim..... Hmmmmm

Its like Sophie's choice FFS

Discounted 1*2 parts
Do it :D

P1020413-1.jpg

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Everyone will no doubt answer with details of their own car, as obviously everyone had a similar decision when they choose their car.

Personally unless its a pure trackday car I think the Phase 2 non cup is the nicest package, comfy seats and aircon and xenons etc.
182 essentially the same thing just a bit newer so depends on budget.

I have always preferred the looks of the phase 1, but TBH we have both at the moment and I much prefer the interior in the phase 2, all that nasty blue trim everywhere in a silver phase 1 has no place now its not the 80s anymore (and hence had no place even when they were new, lol)

Mk1 16v brooklands
Actually agree with chip on this!
Ph1 with ph2 interior is the perfect match imo

Need to get it done but it looks like to much hassle

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
I have a PH1 as well ;)

& a spare PH2 Interior

infact I have the whole kaboodle!!!!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Actually agree with chip on this!
Ph1 with ph2 interior is the perfect match imo

Need to get it done but it looks like to much hassle

Lol, I've been thinking Phase 2 with a Phase 1 front end swap, on the basis you'd be getting the newer car and DBW throttle which suits the RS2 etc.

Just need the mrs to have a mild front end crash (very mild so the RS2 doesnt get hurt, lol) in our phase 2 so I have an excuse to put a phase 1 front end on it instead, lol

PB Clio 172
Depends what you want op

I don't see the point in putting hid's on a cup you will look like most of the other chavs that put them on their cars and blind other road users

Comfort and extras- non cup
Lighter and rougher car- cup

also I had a colour in mind when buying mine and I wanted a flame red I ended up with a Pearl black and I couldnt be happier !

If you get a none-cup you may as well get a 182??
- more colours
- more creature comforts
- newer

Unless you'll be tracking it and such - then it's a no brainer - cup!

PB Clio 172
- more colours
- more creature comforts
- newer

what cruise control and traction ??
Newer, not really 172's went up too 04 which is when the 182 was made ! :rasp:
If you read the post the op wants a 172!

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
I think I'm in a good place to comment here as I've owned a ph1, cup, trophy and now the 182 FF.

The one which has the best all round day to day package is the 182 FF, the lack of abs is ok in the cup but tbh unless you drive like a clown, you're never going to tell the difference.

The trophy is a nice car, very capable out of the box, but if you get the 182 FF you've already got the xenons, leather, climate etc, all you need to do is bolt on a trophy spoiler, set of sachs dampers and turini's and you're away. Its good to have the option there of upgrading parts to trophy spec if you like :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
- more colours
- more creature comforts
- newer

Dont forget the "wheel barrow handles" exhaust and the complete lack of a spare wheel, lol

Listerine & Poledo
For the sake of 0.2 y0! per second, get the full fat.

at least then you can see more than 4 foot infront of you in the dark
have chilled air
be able to relax a little on motorway hauling

I had this dilema a month or so ago when I got mine, eventually got a Cup.

My frame of thought:

Prefer cup colour and wheels.
Xenons would be nice, but not vital, I can see perfectly well with standard bulbs.
Dont use air-con, never have in other cars
Seats didn't interest me as its not exactly a luxury car where I expect half leathers etc, am changing my seats anyway in the cup.
Dont need traction control or abs as when driving normally and in poor conditions I take this into account and dont fly up to standing traffic at 50mph.

I was open minded but went and test drove a shed of a standard 172, then went and drove this cup, and it not only drove nicer, when I saw the Mondial blue and Turini's, they sold it to me.

Listerine & Poledo
so

Shed < good example.

what would have happened if you drove a Heap-Cup and a minter 172-proper?

so

Shed < good example.

what would have happened if you drove a Heap-Cup and a minter 172-proper?

Ha, ignore the rest of the post then about what I personally thought the differences meant to me ;) And the point of being open minded and viewing both, but realising for a cheap runabout I dont need the 'features' which will no doubt break, its cheap n french.

Seeing the normal against a cup makes the normal look way too boring for me, so if you want simple terms, I like blue n shiney wheels!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Lol @ how true my initial statement about everyone just saying buy what they have has turned out to be.

Bottom line is I guess most people would agree the cup is less pleasant as a long distance daily, and more capable as a trackday hack, so it is very dependant on what YOU want from a car which makes more sense for you personally.

You've got better chance of getting agreement on the answer to "who should I vote for in the next election" or "which is the best football team" than you have of cliosport coming to a final decision on which is better out of a cup and non cup.

Lol @ how true my initial statement about everyone just saying buy what they have has turned out to be.

Bottom line is I guess most people would agree the cup is less pleasant as a long distance daily, and more capable as a trackday hack

i wouldnt say its that bad on a long daily... mine's a daily and i drive from the south 2 the north east on a regular basis and dont find it a problem.. as u say tho it all depends on what the OP wants

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
i wouldnt say its that bad on a long daily... mine's a daily and i drive from the south 2 the north east on a regular basis and dont find it a problem.. as u say tho it all depends on what the OP wants

I would say its actually bad either, apologies if it came across that way, the suspension is perfectly bearable and the seats arent like sitting on a bar stool or anything etc, but I would say that a normal 172 is still better in that respect, just from a seats/lights/aircon point of view.J

ust like a normal 172 is still a good trackday car, but the cup is slightly better again.

They both do both fairly well, but each does one slightly better than the other.

Well that was inevitable, "I bought a house but I wouldn't recommend it as I prefer a flat, you'd buy a flat in the first place"

So people are saying what they have, and should really stick their reasons why ;) Not just buy XXX!

You make a point on neither are 'bad' at anything, and as in my post, I was mainly sold on the appearance and the lack of the few features didnt play a part, if I could get a normal one in Mondial Blue with Turini's for the price I did, there would have been no reason why I wouldn't, as you said what the OP wants, is it a specific car, ie if you want xenons, well dont get a cup. If you want a cheap runabout, then buy the best value, sort of common sense, there is no 'winner'

Clio 172 Cup 03 plat
I have a cup and my other half has a 172.

172 + air con, more comfortable seats, more comfortable ride (before he dropped it), cheaper tyres, better accelerator feel (cable), cheaper to buy.

172 - lights are crap even with brighter bulbs, dash and colour coding horrid (tho you can swap all this out), older car so associated problems including higher mileage usually.

172 cup + looks nicer (love mondial blue and turinis), you can see in the dark, no ABS (I think a plus cos I can pull up shorter in cup), fewer on the road.

172cup - seats not as stiff for cornering, mostly no air-con, tyres expensive, fly by wire accelerator (slower to respond by a millisecond)

I do 34 mile round trip commute Monday to Friday in the cup and that is ok, tho longer trips are bit sare!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Steves flamer (does it still have sportsters?)

Or a 182... Isn't tommy_c selling his ly? You should buy that, it's got turinis, cup spoiler and carbon splitter, fog surrounds and diamonds :) lovely car

320d
The cups look better but I'd be going for a standard 172.

Although the price differential is so small between a 172 and a 182 I'd just get a 182. Which I did.

I've not driven a 172 Cup, but owned a ph1 so pretty much the same weight. Yes it was a tiny bit more raw than the 182, but in reality the extra toys of the 182 make it miles better as a car overall.

The 182 feels more balanced too, but that could be due to a number of variables on second hand cars.

Bottom line is I guess most people would agree the cup is less pleasant as a long distance daily, and more capable as a trackday hack, so it is very dependant on what YOU want from a car which makes more sense for you personally.

I can talk from experience owning a 172 Cup, i'd still have the 182 FF.

Xenons/cruise control/climate control are big things for me, even though I love my trackdays. The only other thing that I wanted at first from the 182 was the lack of ABS, however after the first week of owning the 182 having the ABS is fine as it isn't as intrusive as I expected it to be.

The 182 doesnt feel any slower and doesnt feel any less capable to drive than the 172 Cup either so when people say they are more capable, that to me sounds nonsense.

So in summary...

Daily car plus trackdays = 182 FF
Out and out trackcar = 172 Cup

Nick

Megane 225 F1
If I could go back in time and make the decision again, I would go for a cup.

My plans in the next few months are to remove aircon and get some bucket seats in. Only thing left that isn't on the cup is the abs, and tbh that's too much hassle. Would be nice to have a black cup though ;)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel