ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Todays photos from Snetterton advice welcome

Slow red one
Went up Snetterton today to practice my motor photography and cause I knew Matt was going on the track from on here, took lots of photos even though I was freezing and forgot a jumper doh! As you can see on my Flickr they get a lot better from beginning to end:) here are my best one's. Any advice etc would be good but as I found out plenty of trial and error is needed!

5933988507_3f77fcc7a8_z.jpg

IMG_8200 by RichPhotography24, on Flickr

5934548610_14bf5bda9a_z.jpg

IMG_8201 by RichPhotography24, on Flickr

5934552260_63559a327e_z.jpg

IMG_8209 by RichPhotography24, on Flickr

5934555420_162ef096ca_z.jpg

IMG_8217 by RichPhotography24, on Flickr

5934556796_158f2b579b_z.jpg

IMG_8220 by RichPhotography24, on Flickr

5933998413_9303b53374_z.jpg

IMG_8225 by RichPhotography24, on Flickr

5934003219_3d04fed2b3_z.jpg

IMG_8237 by RichPhotography24, on Flickr

5934006963_1855c4a641_z.jpg

IMG_8245 by RichPhotography24, on Flickr

5934569594_b266e3e008_z.jpg

IMG_8251 by RichPhotography24, on Flickr

5934570910_80a0059693_z.jpg

IMG_8254 by RichPhotography24, on Flickr

5934015097_90402ec3b0_z.jpg

IMG_8264 by RichPhotography24, on Flickr

5934018883_0748e90b8a_z.jpg

IMG_8272 by RichPhotography24, on Flickr

5934019421_ccff40b7f6_z.jpg

IMG_8273 by RichPhotography24, on Flickr

Thanks.

As you say, they get a lot better towards the end ;)

I assume you have the camera set to continuous focusing? Where do you place focal reference point on the car? If you take the red evo shot, I would probably have it on the left headlight (as you look at it).

Panning just takes practice I'm afraid, no real quick fix to getting great shots at slow shutter speeds :(

Oil Burner
The last 2 are spot on. The others your (largely) panning too slow, notice the rear quarter of lots of the cars is sharp/sharper than the front.

Also in the photo i looked at the EXIF of, you were shooting Manual. Its a good way of learning, but its making life more difficult for yourself. Shooter aperture or shutter priority and let the camera do the hard work. Shutter priority would be the norm for on track images. Auto White balance is also fine for most of this work. These two changes should sort your slight over exposure issues in the shots.

Also ensure your using spot focus (usually centre as this is the highest performing one) and the constant AF mode (whatever nikon calls this). And as dan says place this spot on the part of the car you want sharp and pan with this part of the car.

i have nothing to add more than I've stood with our riad for half an hour whilst he practices before a session or race at tracks with no cars actually going past to get his panning flow sorted, its something i feel he excels in. so as dan said, all in the prep.

the pics look a little drained but i think they are raw so have little editing correct me if i'm wrong, little presentation with them too. but its a start! keep at it mate, better than what i can do lol!

Slow red one
As you say, they get a lot better towards the end ;)

I assume you have the camera set to continuous focusing? Where do you place focal reference point on the car? If you take the red evo shot, I would probably have it on the left headlight (as you look at it).

Panning just takes practice I'm afraid, no real quick fix to getting great shots at slow shutter speeds :(
Was hoping you'd comment as your work is awesome! Yeah used continuous focusing, looked at the guide on here before hand. Will have to try again soon:)

Slow red one
The last 2 are spot on. The others your (largely) panning too slow, notice the rear quarter of lots of the cars is sharp/sharper than the front.

Also in the photo i looked at the EXIF of, you were shooting Manual. Its a good way of learning, but its making life more difficult for yourself. Shooter aperture or shutter priority and let the camera do the hard work. Shutter priority would be the norm for on track images. Auto White balance is also fine for most of this work. These two changes should sort your slight over exposure issues in the shots.

Also ensure your using spot focus (usually centre as this is the highest performing one) and the constant AF mode (whatever nikon calls this). And as dan says place this spot on the part of the car you want sharp and pan with this part of the car.
Thanks for the advice, what mode on a Cannon is the shooter aperture/shutter priority? Is it the AV TV or P mode?

You'll learn a lot more from Nick than me tbh, his sport shots are top notch! When I do shots for Burpspeed, I tend to do a mix of safe shots, so high-ish shutter speeds (1/60th-100th ish) and some 'fun' shots, with much slower speeds (<1/30th ish). They look much better, but I would probably keep <20% of the photos I take at those speeds.

Start high then work your way down, but remember the shutter speed you need is all relative to:

- focal length (slower shutter speed if shorter focal length)
- distance to subject (slower shutter speed if further away)
- speed of subject (should be obvious ;))

Also, it's very difficult to have a slow shutter speed when the car is coming at you.

For instance, in this photo....

DSC5830.jpg

...you'll notice the front is pin sharp, but the back is a bit blurry. That's because the car is travelling towards you, and relative to you, changing shape ie. you start to see more of the side of the car.

Another example:

DSC5504.jpg

PS. Don't mean to post pics in your thread, but it's a lot easier to see an example :)