ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tommys Cup

172 Cup,
Hello

Thought id start one of these for my cup as it needs some work to bring it back to its former glory and id like to keep track of it.

So i bought the car at the start of July after seeing it on Pistonheads. It was up for £1650 ono but needed some body work doing and didn't have service history but had only covered 64,000 miles so thought it was worth a look. Took the 1 1/2 trip up to view and managed to haggle the seller down to £1500.

After driving the car round for a few days started noticing the usual twitchy/floaty rear end. A quick search on here led me to the cause, rear shocks buggered. So got it over the ramp at work and discovered sure enough that the drivers rear was scrap so replacement items where purchased from Renault with a decent trade discount.

Also replaced the fronts and top mounts as someone had made a serious mess of the thread on the passenger side shock. Also fitted a laguna splitter i had as the original was missing.

Over the next few months a few more jobs will be getting done, including cambelt kit, aux belt and dephaser replacement. Replacing the gash front chicken wire grill with a standard item. Getting the bodywork sorted (dents, cracks in bumper) and a wheel refurb.

Pictures to follow.

172 Cup,
img0178xv.jpg

img0180zk.jpg

img0184wt.jpg

Nice start, new number plates and giving the headlights a polish up would revive the front end.

And like you say a propper lower grille, whilst your at it spraying the upper and lower grill satin black ties it all in nicely.

Also the skoda fabia splitters are only £12 ish and look miles better.

172 Cup,
New plate and headlights will be fitted when it gets painted.

Got a brand new lower grill and fog surrounds on eBay for £20 that are waiting to go on.

I'll have a look into the fabia splitters, im presuming there from the vrs??

Mondial 172Cup (A/C)
Agreed on the 3/4 plate, makes a big difference... I fitted a fabia splitter to my cup, easy job and looks the nuts!

Silver visions also IMO would make the front end look cool. My headlights are like yours so I too need to get working on those... Nice cup tho! :)

172 Cup,
Got the cup down to work yesterday for a bit of a face lift including new headlights, grill etc

so first got it over the ramp:

IMG_0283.jpg

Front bumper off, easier than most as im missing the front half of both wheel tubs!

IMG_0286.jpg

Old s**tty lights replaced for nice shiny new Hella OEM ones:

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

Next up was removing the chavvy chicken wire grill and replacing with genuine original one.

IMG_0285.jpg

To my horror it was actually secured to the bumper with blocks of WOOD screwed to the bumper!!!

IMG_0296.jpg

New grill fitted along with new fog surrounds as they came with the grill

IMG_0298.jpg

All fitted back on with a new plate to finish it off

IMG_0299.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0283.jpg
    IMG_0283.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 49
  172 Cup,
alexiooo - Got the headlights from a local motor factors, they were much cheaper than dealer one but are still made buy the same company.

benson172 - thanks, also helps that i can see properly at night now as the others where all broken inside.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Love what you have done so far. Really not keen on that splitter tho, but that's personal taste.

172 Cup,
I may change the splitter at some point. I just had it lying around as i never got round to fitting it to my 106 and the original was missing.

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Looks miles cleaner now mate.

As said get some silver vision indicator bulbs.

A lot of people get a 3/4 or smaller front plate so that it doesn't overhang over the lower grill. Looks better as it doesn't break the "lines" of the bumper.

Keep up the good work

clio sport 172 cup
She still going and been well looked after started my own project probs best car i ever bought

Last edited: