ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Too 200 Or not?

Ive been thinking about getting a 200 cup for a while, have a 182 at the moment, but im sometimes put off by the looks of the 200 especially the front end! I know they drive really well, just not sure what to do, what opinoins would you have?
cheers

Astra SRI/ Hornet
I think I will go 200 cup next from a 182 but gonna wait till next year for the price to drop. I can't seem to get away from Renault. Maybe look at a r26r and see which I prefer at the time.

Clio 200 Black and White
I've had a 182 FF and a Trophy and loved them both, but now I have a 200 and it's just utterly awesome; a significant move up from the 182 in my opinion.

R27
I would make sure your happy with the look of the car before ploughing that sort of money into one. Its alot of money if your not 100% sure on the look.

Havent driven the 200 but i have a mk3 TCE and yes its good to drive but it doesnt feel Clio-ish at all. Its much wider and doesnt feel as if you can fling it about as much.
I prefer the engine in my mk3, but prefer the Campus/mk2 to drive anytime.

ValverInBits
Just do a test drive. I'd keep the 182 with some mods to sort the obvious problems like seatin position.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
197 with Cup packs for me.

Can't stomach the 200. Looks like a hippo with downs.

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
Agree with daniel, save 5k and get a 197! Still not really a looker but better than 200... face like a burglers dog.

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
There are a few 200 haters on here, but the front end is a grower and the new face of Renault Sport not as dated looking as the 197. The engine/drive is also a step on from the 197.

I am of course biased as I own one!

The advice to drive one is good, but if money is a concern wait a year or two and get one when some depreciation has hit :)

Crappy work hire car
I think the 197 is gorgeous, whereas the earlier ones are just attractive, and the front of the 200 is like a pitbull licking p1ss off a nettle tbh

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
Picture%20013b.jpg

Family Bus
The 200's in black look fantastic. Still not keen on the other colours, what with the random black bit, just doesn't quite 'go'

Would deffo get yourself a test drive booked, and see how you feel, helps to make an informed decision!

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
I can't see the problem with it (although maybe black hides the problem) :rasp:

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
I have to be honest and say the front does not photo well, but it looks superb in the flesh - Having owned fast Jap/Geman cars for the previous 15 years it took a great drive to swap back to French :eek:

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
Meant in the nicest way possible but i would rather have downs that have to live with those wheels!
I'd take the most chavved up ripspeed specials from halfrauds any day of the week over those piss poor attempt that renault stick you with!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I can't see the problem with it (although maybe black hides the problem) :rasp:

Look at the lights/front wings/front bumper!!! Nothing lines up!

The wing mirrors are massive!

The wheels look like something from Halfords....

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
i honestly prefer halfrauds wheels any day of the week, the guy who designed the 200 wheels and the megane 250 wheels wants his dog shooting.

If I were to change I would get an R27 or white 197. Still can't stand the 200s front end, chavy wheels and headlights. The black and white leather recaros I love but not enough to buy a car I hate the sight of.

LY 200
Anyone who says the mk3's are not a step up are either liars, cant afford to make the change or havnt driven one but unless your looking for decent build quality and a bigger man'lier feeling car you wont discover this in a test drive!

I loved my 182 for the four years i had it and if i had to would own one again but the 197 is the better car pound for pound for sure! Depending on what you want (and what you want to pay) there isnt a hell of alot of difference between an R27/top spec 197 and a 200 for road use so you may want to consider this!

Being honest i wouldve preferd the 200 had a well spec'd one come up at under 14k but fact is there wasnt one in site (they were more knocking on 15/16k's door)!

Dependent on your usage and whether you have money to burn an R27 or late 197 with cup goodies, Recaros etc at sub 12k IS a just as well option imo.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Type to see your bias isn't restricted to footie chat lad;).

As an all rounder, the mk3 is the better car. But purely for driving fun, the dull light steering, and the relative lack of feedback puts me off. I prefer the more lively handling of older cars as well.

Saying that, I've not driven a 200, I'm basing that on the 197's I've driven. For me, there's no reason bar looks to pick one over a meg r26.

As an all rounder, the mk3 is the better car. But purely for driving fun, the dull light steering, and the relative lack of feedback puts me off. I prefer the more lively handling of older cars as well.

Saying that, I've not driven a 200, I'm basing that on the 197's I've driven. For me, there's no reason bar looks to pick one over a meg r26.

My 200 is available for drives if you ask me nicely..........

;)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Matt@Stealthsport said:
My 200 is available for drives if you ask me nicely..........

;)
I'd love a go fella, the plonkers at Renault Birmingham won't be getting a test car in. And when they do, the test route consists of 30/40mph roads. Clever!

What's happened with the trophy?

LY 200

LOL! There is no bias! As said I would happily have my 182 back as I would the hybrid before that as they were top cars in there own right!

You are correct in saying the 197 isn't as fun but pound for pound it's the better car and with the cup chassis I have no doubts it will be easily as capable on bends although I will be leaving this test until spring and warner weather! The 182 felt quicker on the straight but after a little test against a mates standard 182 there was nothing between but as you say straight lines are for gays anyway but even so I would bet my last pound that on a track the 197 would get round it quicker than a 182!

Looks? There is no doubting that the FAT 197/200 look better so this only leaves fun factor! On that basis I'll leave you to decide which is the better car! ;)

M2 Competition
3693818639_f04eab6a2d_b.jpg

They look awesome in the metal.

[YOUTUBE]Ae4RqTW5UDU[/YOUTUBE]

This video made me want one! It also makes me want to go out and drive lol.

LY 200
^agreed!

Especially in AG or RB! Very special looking motors (even as far as the wheels and front ends go) in the flesh.

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
So after 2 pages we are still saying drive one and pick what's best for you, some people love them (usually those that have not driven them), some people hate them (usually due to front end looks), your money so your call :approve:

LY 200
^You can never get a great idea by just 'driving' one imo!

After my TD i had discovered little more than i would've done having sat in it on the forecourt! You need a good few days in one i think!

Chris V6 255

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 255, 182 Trophy
There is a AG one with black alloys in a garage by me, looks the nuts!
Every time I drive past I regret ordering my company car :(

PS 200
If you want to buy a car to look at it - don't get a 200.

if you want a car to drive on motorways - don't get a 200.

if you want a car that will "impress" people - don't get a Renault.

If you mainly drive on a/b roads - get a 200 :).

Have you driven a 200 yet?

TBH I'd keep the 182.

lol i dont think you have driven one.

Dude nothing can touch them for the money, there is a reason everyone loves them, i cant see why you would stick with an older car if you can have a newer one. Boo the haters.

What i would say is if you can afford it then go for the ff