ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Too 200 Or not?

LY 200
if you want a car that will "impress" people - don't get a Renault.

I've had quite a few people come up to me in petrol station's and supermarkets, saying "wow that's a nice car", etc, etc. :cool:

Unless they were thinking about robbing me.:rasp:

PS 200
I've had quite a few people come up to me in petrol station's and supermarkets, saying "wow that's a nice car", etc, etc. :cool:
My comment was more a shot at those people who seem to think the 200 has "ruined some great masterpiece" ;).

Yes me too, the loud exhausts help as well, people may not like the front but it gets attention.
I know people think i love the 200 and cant see an faults but i hate the amount of people on here who claim to have driven one when they havent.
200= s**t for motorway and it has a few things which it shares with a normal clio, i.e. a boot i always seem to smash, crap back seats funny noises here and there and its s**t in the ice and snow. Makes passengers feel sick. crap sound system.

Im not going to list the pros, just read and review and they will tell you how good it is.

Black 'Cup Packed' 197
TBH If you can afford the newer car then I cant see why you wouldnt, I looked at all three options, I could have bought any one of the three. But I went for a 2nd hand 197 in black with cup pack and Recaro's. TBH out of personal preference, Iv no doubt that the 200 will be marginally better, as most newer cars are. But I just couldnt get to grips with the front end looks. and so didnt see the point in paying more for something I liked less...

Its all a case of getting some test drives in, and getting into a dealer who isnt shy about letting you drive/look around both models.

500 Twinair
It's a hard one on whether to sell the 182 and get a Clio 200.
I was in the same boat, didn't like the front end, but heard the ride was great, especially on a 200 cup. Then I saw an ag cup with black speedlines and recaro's. I took it out for a test drive and fell in love with it. Got a great deal for a good px for my 182. But when it came down to it, I couldnt sell the 182, love it too much, and have spent too much on it, it's the most fun car I have had and was a little worried the 200 wouldn't live up to that.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
lol i dont think you have driven one.

Dude nothing can touch them for the money, there is a reason everyone loves them, i cant see why you would stick with an older car if you can have a newer one. Boo the haters.

What i would say is if you can afford it then go for the ff
He has driven one afaik.

LY 200
^I thought he was actually a lover of the 200!

Well im sure he was when i was considering one anyway! lol

Id rather have a 225 r26. Cheeper to run as well!?
The 200 does look better in the flesh but that price tag is huge!

I paid 15k for a ff 200+cup, granted you can get a very good price an old meggy.

I dont think there is a better new car for 15k like i dont think there is a better car for 5k for a 182.

People can like it or not which is cool, but there are a load of people on here who think the 182 is better just cos they own a 182 and thats it. I personally think the 182 is bland to look at however is a cracking ride.
I also couldnt put up with the interior of the 182 or the 200 cup.

Have you considered:

E46 M3
R26
Clio V6 Mk 2
EVO 8 FQ
350Z
S2000

This is where I would put my money if I had 15k to spend. If your hearts set on a 200 then save yourself 5k and get a 197 cup and spend a little on mods to get it to 200 level.

Imo of course!

Nice posistion to be in!;)

Iceberg 172
I'm not a lover of the 200's looks but as for value for money they're a bit of a bargain at the moment let alone next year once they depreciate.

However, I'd get a 197 and improve it with mods to make it even better than the 200.

If I'm honest, I don't know much about the newer ones and the differences between the 197/200 or improvements. However, i do know that the 197 looks amazing... a serious sleeper which is almost un-identifiable as the sporty model unless you know what you're looking at which I like (like the 172). Where as the 200 looks like a punto imo.

Not a 320d
197 with Cup packs for me.

Can't stomach the 200. Looks like a hippo with downs.

:star:

BAHAHA !!!!!!!!!!! Dan your brilliant !

IMO, R27 in whatever colour you can stomach. I dont like the 200, looks shite although im sure they are a very capable machine, its provided EVO with a fair few reviews. It MUST have recaros though, the standard seats are great but the driving position they provide is unbearable at times.

Lee

BMW M2C
3693818639_f04eab6a2d_b.jpg

Cheeky f*****s stealing one of my pictures over on RSC!!

I'd go for the 200. The only down side for me is the front end, it's pathetic when you compare it to the 197. After having a 172, 182 and Trophy I'm much happer with the 197 I've currently got, and having driven a 200 I'm tempted to swap again later in the year.

I must be one of the few people that actually prefer the front of the 200 to the 197.

I really really want one in AG with black speedlines but I haven't dared to go to the dealer for a look/price up/test drive because I'll end up buying it and I'm trying to be sensible!

Crappy work hire car
I must be one of the few people that actually prefer the front of the 200 to the 197.

I really really want one in AG with black speedlines but I haven't dared to go to the dealer for a look/price up/test drive because I'll end up buying it and I'm trying to be sensible!

Lol sounds like you're the only one who does Revels!

LY 200

High five to one of my few people!

I test drove one thinking like you but suprisingly didnt want one there and then and even more suprisingly used my nugget to think over it even more! Just a shame i couldnt personally justify spending 16k plus on the new model!

I suppose it depends what you are coming from and how good/happy you are with your current machine though.

High five to one of my few people!

I test drove one thinking like you but suprisingly didnt want one there and then and even more suprisingly used my nugget to think over it even more! Just a shame i couldnt personally justify spending 16k plus on the new model!

I suppose it depends what you are coming from and how good/happy you are with your current machine though.

The last bit is spot on.

I have a 10 year old, rattling, creaky, generally hated shed. Lol.

There's no way I wouldn't want it.

Ya i love the front too :p Get used to it guys cos its on both the clio and the meggy so HA!
Personally i wouldnt go from a 197 to a 200 as they are similar. After 3 or so years you want to go up to the next band of car if you can i.e. 2 years and an RS :p

320d
I also prefare the looks of the 200 over a 197. It looks more aggressive. I'm a huge fan of the 200. Will probably never own one, my future car diection will probably land me with an RS Megane but the 200's a top machine.

Crappy work hire car
I have to say though, I'd rather have the 200 than a 172 or 182 so yeah go for it :)

Clio 200 Black and White
I reckon the 200 looks better than the 197 as well - doesn't photograph all that well but it does look awesome in the flesh.

Mine's parked outside my window and the amount of people that stop and look at it as they walk past just says it all.

Lee

BMW M2C
The 200 certainly looks fresh and modern compared to the 197 front end, but it's lost the aggression and rear view mirror presence the 197 had.

It's like going back to the 172/182. Only a trained eye could spot the difference, most average people couldn't tell. It's similar with the 200 from the front. The design hides it's width and squat stance.

Don't get me wrong, I like the 200, and might upgrade from the 197 as the 200 is a better car, but the front end is just the generic Renault corporate face. I'm glad they retained the original rear lights and didn't go for those off the new standard Clios, the rear is spot on as far as I'm concerned.

Looks like a standard green Clio in this picture.
car_photo_312049_7.jpg

Looking a little dated, but still has a presence the 200 has lost.
car_photo_219454_7.jpg

Clio 200 Black and White
In that photo, the AG doesn't do enough to distance itself from the standard Clio.

You could never confuse it in the metal though.

I doubt anyone would mistake this for a regular clio:

Attachments

• P1010841LD.JPG
    P1010841LD.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 28
The 200 certainly looks fresh and modern compared to the 197 front end, but it's lost the aggression and rear view mirror presence the 197 had.

It's like going back to the 172/182. Only a trained eye could spot the difference, most average people couldn't tell. It's similar with the 200 from the front. The design hides it's width and squat stance.

Don't get me wrong, I like the 200, and might upgrade from the 197 as the 200 is a better car, but the front end is just the generic Renault corporate face. I'm glad they retained the original rear lights and didn't go for those off the new standard Clios, the rear is spot on as far as I'm concerned.

car_photo_312049_7.jpg

car_photo_219454_7.jpg

A yellow 200 would have just as much road pres :p

PS 200
More I'd say.

tn_05-L.jpg

197s could be 1.2 dynamiques from the front ;)

There's certainly no mistaking the 200 :D

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Only a trained eye could spot the difference, most average people couldn't tell.

Eh? Dont know how you can say only a trained eye will know its a 200? Its got that frickin (Hideous in some peoples opinion) black front bumper "F1 style blade". It sticks out like a sore thumb :D An Alien green 200 will have a lot more road presence than any (Including yellow) 197. You see a 200 in yer rear veiw mirror you will know its one.

If anything, I think the 197 looks almost like a normal Clio (Not the R27 obviously, that has silly stickers).

Back on topic however. I think you should get a 200 (Only if you can afford it mind) as its a better car (In every way). Bigger, better build quality, more powerful (Just), looks better and is safer.

Also. To try and justify your point you had to pick probably the worst combo of wheels and paint for the 200. Alien green is meant to have black wheels:

DSC01450.jpg

Now, you cant tell me they look like normal Clios?

car_photo_312049_7.jpg

car_photo_219454_7.jpg

I think that's mainly just bad pictures.

DSC_6507.jpg

I prefer the black front but that looks a lot better that the dodgy pic you chose! Lol.

FCS25.jpg

FCS26.jpg

And yellow..

3641759564_992c98b676.jpg

Must stop looking at these! :(

Lee

BMW M2C
Eh? Dont know how you can say only a trained eye will know its a 200? Its got that frickin (Hideous in some peoples opinion) black front bumper "F1 style blade". It sticks out like a sore thumb :D An Alien green 200 will have a lot more road presence than any (Including yellow) 197. You see a 200 in yer rear veiw mirror you will know its one.

If anything, I think the 197 looks almost like a normal Clio (Not the R27 obviously, that has silly stickers).

Back on topic however. I think you should get a 200 (Only if you can afford it mind) as its a better car (In every way). Bigger, better build quality, more powerful (Just), looks better and is safer.

You 200 owners are very defensive about it's looks. lol

You all have to remember that you all know your Clios. Most average people don't have the faintest idea what a Renaultsport Clio is. Most think the V6 has some horrid body kit on it and the R27 is just a Clio with chavy stickers

I work with a lot of car nuts. One of the lads this morning commented he thinks he saw a 200. He wasn't even sure, and he reads Evo and is currently buying a Boxter.

Another of the lads, a CTR owner mentioned he had a 197 behind him the other week and couldn't believe how wide it looked in his rear view mirror. I can't comment on how the 200 looks in the rear view mirror as I've only seen them static or from behind the wheel.

Anyway, I'm still considering a RB one later in the year, or an S2000!

Back on topic, get a 200, as with most Renaultsports, they get better and better each model, and the 200 is no exception.

Edit: LOL Dan, that last AG shot just looks wrong. They wear white so much better.

One last Edit:

This doesn't help matters with it's fogs sticking out in a similar fashion to the 197, sideskirts and silver badge ends, normal people get confused.

car_photo_307128_7.jpg

Last edited:

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3

You all have to remember that you all know your Clios. Most average people don't have the faintest idea what a Renaultsport Clio is. Most think the V6 has some horrid body kit on it and the R27 is just a Clio with chavy stivkers

I work with a lot of car nuts. One of the lads this morning commented he thinks he saw a 200. He wasn't even sure, and he reads Evo and is currently buying a Boxter.

Another of the lads, a CTR owner mentioned he had a 197 behind him the other week and couldn't believe how wide it looked in his rear view mirror. I can't comment on how the 200 looks in the rear view mirror as I've only seen them static or from behind the wheel.

Tbh, I think all RS Clios look superb. They always have.

End of the day everyones opinion is different. I obviously bought the 200 over the 197/182 for the reasons I listed above. It all depends what tickles your fancy.

Lee

BMW M2C
Tbh, I think all RS Clios look superb. They always have.

End of the day everyones opinion is different. I obviously bought the 200 over the 197/182 for the reasons I listed above. It all depends what tickles your fancy.

They do indeed. Hence why I've had 4 from new. :eek: They also offer the best bang for your buck along with total practicality.

You all have to remember that you all know your Clios. Most average people don't have the faintest idea what a Renaultsport Clio is. Most think the V6 has some horrid body kit on it and the R27 is just a Clio with chavy stickers

Back on topic, get a 200, as with most Renaultsports, they get better and better each model, and the 200 is no exception.

Edit: LOL Dan, that last AG shot just looks wrong. They wear white so much better.

Lol. Clio owners being defensive? You're shocked at that?! It's the same with every model. Ever.

But you're right about telling the difference. Even now after being here for years I'm still double checking if something was a sport or not. But I like that they're subtlety different.

You won't leave Clios :D RB with black front and black speedlines?

I like white but I'd have AG fo sho. Love it! :D

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
i just can't get over that front end.

hmmmi don't know really... i think the 197 front did look superb and could be quite easily spotted for someone with a bit of knowledge.

I haven't actually seen a 200 on the road yet so can't comment.

i'm inclined ot wait for the next RS clio as i think the 200 would be too similiar to my last 197. I am sure I would love the extra low down grunt but it is really tha tfront end that kills it for me.

Still a superb car though.