ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Too fussy?

I've been searching for an rs for a while now, will be my first. Done all the searching threads about cambelts, aux belts, service history knocking and people have been really helpful on here! I've driven a few and loved them so I know its what I would like. Problem is, I keep getting stumped when I think Im onto a winner, and its getting me down lol! I keep finding one then looking at history, maybe hasn't got much or missed a service, maybe a few scuffs here and there, high mileage blah blah. Getting to the point where Im wondering if Im being too picky for what Im after? Anyone else had this when they were buying?
Cheers
Tom

There's a fine line between picky and sensible.

When I was looking I instantly ruled out anyone who got the make/model of the car wrong. Ruled out cars that had been treated by dodgy places. Any with s**t mods. Any that list 'bad points' as trivial things that they really should fix themselves.

You're going to buy one eventually and it will go wrong. But that's life.

I'd rather buy a cheaper one, get the cambelt done yourself then you know it's definitely been done and been done by someone you trust.

S

Ste King 182

thats the thing with buying a 2nd hand car they aint ever going to be perfect, get a tidy example bitt of work, perfect.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
when i was hunting for an integra type r i was the same. think when a car gets to a certain age you have to except there will be blemishes. id pass on the ones with missing services but no cambelt isnt a bad thing if you negotiate in the price, then you know where and exactly whats been changed.

All opinions appreciated. I think Ive come to terms with the fact that its not going to be perfect its just I want it to be as close to it as poss as Iv been wanting one for so long! I honestly think Im looking at it too harshly, I mean Il immediately look at cars sub 60k, now I know there are bargains to be had with 80-100k! Ive looked on here for one but they are all too far away. I don't mind a bit of a journey but the other end of the country is too far! Im thinking of doing the paying membership, does this open up ALL the areas on the forum?

Tom, as per pms and what Revels has said. I'd be picky as if you have to spend a shed load on the first one you see then you'll quickly fall out of love with the car like I did when I first got mine!

Become a paid member on here, there's a few sheds in the For Sale section however you'll find some beautiful examples as well and normally priced right also unlike some cars off of autotrader/pistonheads.

Sounds good guys, yeah Im almost falling out of love with getting one its so hard finding one! Almost an anti climax!?! OK, going to sign up I think, are the sections 'unlocked' right away? Im working on a budget of around 3500. Been looking at Cups and ph1's. Must say Im loving the ph1 but dunno if I can swallow down buying a 90ker as its gonna be a daily and also track tool?

Impreza Wagon
I got my 182 off here recently after months of searching! I was setting my standards way too high for my budget. I ended up with the exact spec car I wanted from a very honest owner with fsh and a couple of marks on it. I'm very happy with it though as it has fsh and belt change was more important than a couple of tiny dents!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Alot of the problem with people buying used cars is not wanting to travel for it...

Personally -as ive said so often in the past- id go to lands end for the right example. Keep in mine the term "used car" scuffs and dunts belong to used cars, mirror paintwork is for show rooms....

Mk5 golf gti
have a look for my 'idiots selling cars' thread

its a nightmare tbh i had a right pain in the arse finding one that was right

and i bought more of a shed that i could spend a bit on to get right

www.renparts.co.uk
When I got my 182 I wasn't even looking for one, I saw a link to it on ebay in the morning, rang my insurance company to check I could get insured (£1470 urghhhhhh!!!) rang back put a £100 deposit on, set off after work about 7 all the way to Essex to pick it up (from doncaster!) Basically it was too cheap not to buy, and we had decided that if it was a total shed we could break for spares! It was pitch black, chucking it down with rain and about midnight when we go there so just drove it onto the truck and away we went! What an exciting day eh!

I suppose its slightly different for me because of where I work & access to free parts should something decide to go bang, so I wasn't really too fussed, and I also wasn't bothered about high mileage.

I wouldn't limit the number you are looking at & I'm sure you will find one that you will love... and then it will break because its french :D

Cerrone

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
  RB Clio 182
I was looking for 4months mate, 3months without a car! Belive me I'm fussy! 1 came up I loved it every think was perfect! I spoke to Fred at btm today and it's going to cost me £665 to get belts and other stuff done but it's a 05 u have to expect things need to be done u will get knocks and bangs but tbf dude that's life! Bite the bullet!

'04 182
I bought one last week after a bit of looking, I took the view that I would prefer to pay less for one with the odd blemish on the history so that I could get the belts and stuff done myself and know that they've been done. A lot of cars I saw said they had full history and didn't and some poeple said they would put a cam-belt on if I bought it which I just didn't trust. So I drove 60 miles to find mine last week and this weekend it's in the garage having both belts done as well as a full service and a few other maintenance bits done.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
out of the 100 182's on the net at the moment- about 5 are worth it-

So that gives around 1/20 return- if your looking within a certain radius of say 30-50 miles then thats probably 1/40-

Thats why you cant find a decent one-

Considering a train journey & return petrol for say 200 miles can had for less that £100 I think you need to broaden your horizon- although if you are travelling ask the right questions first & get a feel for price before you go

S

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I like to think mine would be one worth looking at if it was ever up for sale, it's just let down by a mouse "chew" on the reat seats :(

Had this prob when looking for a fiend, was to picky.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I genuinely think people are too picky nowadays.

They want the cheapest price but the best condition.

You get what you pay for as with most things in life.

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
yea i got to say a lot of cars i see about now, especailly when iw as looking for a friend are very tired and had a hard life.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I have a slightly odd approach to buying cars tbh.

Normally involves setting a budget of say '4k', then buying one thats needs a bit of work for 2.5k & getting the necessary work done myself.

So given a choice of 2 x '54 plate 182s, with 60k, one at 4k and very nice, & one at 2.5k needing work, id always buy the cheap one, means u end up with either a bargain, or a car that u know will last a while - after major service/cambelt, etc.

'04 182
Yeh Sir Dave, like I said that's what I've just done. It comes from a deep seated lack of trust for everyone else! lol

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I have a slightly odd approach to buying cars tbh.

Normally involves setting a budget of say '4k', then buying one thats needs a bit of work for 2.5k & getting the necessary work done myself.

So given a choice of 2 x '54 plate 182s, with 60k, one at 4k and very nice, & one at 2.5k needing work, id always buy the cheap one, means u end up with either a bargain, or a car that u know will last a while - after major service/cambelt, etc.

Best way to do it. At least you know all the work has been done properly.

Just viewed another Clio cup on 70k. Had the expected scratches and stone chips for a car with that mileage but.....engine looked like it was older than the car! All genuine miles etc but it was rusted to hell on the front of the engine and all the bolts looked like they have never been taken out, also the socket which the bonnet latches into was rusted. Should I expect this on a car with these miles? Also some weird bobbly black stuff on the rim edge of the brake discs, anyone know what that is?
Cheers
Tom

racing blue 182
how flexible is your budget?

id let my racing blue one go for the right price lol

05/33k belts done ect pm me

Westy. MX5
Trying to buy a perfect car that is at least 6 years old for £3.5K and is also a Renault cannot be done, some compromise will have to be done. I find the For Sale section of the relevant Forum is usually the best place to buy, enthusiast sellers tend to tell you the good points and the bad. Sir Dave seems to have the right idea about buying cars, I agree with him. Also you should take someone with you as a second pair of eyes. Hope you find what you are looking for.