ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Too wide? Rota content.

As a few of you know I've just gone and bought some Rota Grid's. Came to fit them the other morning and I think the rear ones stick out a little too far.

Here's a few quick photos -

12843631105_32f158d9a4_c.jpg

12884881064_0a42fdc3d6_c.jpg

12884863314_01440ef0cb_c.jpg

12884849694_f2938e1909_c.jpg

12884405025_457bd0fdb1_c.jpg

What's everyone else's opinion on them? Is there anything I can do to get the back wheels in a bit more?

Im obviously going to wind the coilovers down and I'm planning to refurb them a gunmetal grey colour (open to suggestions though).

Dan

@ThomasBrentnall @Spinksy

Last edited:
  GTD, Lupo
I did think about that but if I got camber shims, wouldn't they stick out more as well?

They are very thin, I'm no expert but on my old Golf i was running 1.5 degrees of camber on the rear and it made the top part of the wheel sit much better under the arch. Having had a second look its going to take a fair bit of work to get them to sit better!!

I found this picture, and the car is running 2 degrees with hub spacers;

DSC_0039.JPG

They are very thin, I'm no expert but on my old Golf i was running 1.5 degrees of camber on the rear and it made the top part of the wheel sit much better under the arch. Having had a second look its going to take a fair bit of work to get them to sit better!!

I found this picture, and the car is running 2 degrees with hub spacers;

Hmm cheers for that, I'll have to look into it. Am I right in thinking 2 degrees is the maximum before you start to get really bad uneven tread?

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
I like them
I considered a set of rotas in 16" the other week as they have soft kumho tyres on them but I've stuck with 15"

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I'd be looking at camber shims as it doesn't need spacers! I believe you can get them in -0.5 and -1.0 degree off camskill and ktec's website.

I like them though. What happened to the splitter?

GTD, Lupo
Hmm cheers for that, I'll have to look into it. Am I right in thinking 2 degrees is the maximum before you start to get really bad uneven tread?

When i had 1.5 degrees the wear was a little uneven! As for the shims I'm pretty sure you can just double them up. Best check before but they are quite simple to fit.

I'd be looking at camber shims as it doesn't need spacers! I believe you can get them in -0.5 and -1.0 degree off camskill and ktec's website.

I like them though. What happened to the splitter?

Dan@M.A.D. does some that are -2 degrees. I'm not even sure that they would be enough to tuck the wheels in though!

I had an accident with a kerb a while back :(

When i had 1.5 degrees the wear was a little uneven! As for the shims I'm pretty sure you can just double them up. Best check before but they are quite simple to fit.

Ah right okay, I don't mind a little bit of wear but I want my tyres to last more than 100 miles :p hadn't thought about doubling them up.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
I love these alloy wheels.

If i could afford a set at the right time i would have them.

They look stunning !

RB Clio 182
Very nice wheels mate, maybe you could change the rear stub axles to 172 ones as they are 5mm shorter.

image.jpg

RS1 all 172 models
RS2 all 182 models

Clio 172 ph2
they look nice. defo need more lows and the front fit fine just rears arches need rolling. running any spacers?

Mec 350 slk manual
As a few of you know I've just gone and bought some Rota Grid's. Came to fit them the other morning and I think the rear ones stick out a little too far.

Here's a few quick photos -

12843631105_32f158d9a4_c.jpg

12884881064_0a42fdc3d6_c.jpg

12884863314_01440ef0cb_c.jpg

12884849694_f2938e1909_c.jpg

12884405025_457bd0fdb1_c.jpg

What's everyone else's opinion on them? Is there anything I can do to get the back wheels in a bit more?

Im obviously going to wind the coilovers down and I'm planning to refurb them a gunmetal grey colour (open to suggestions though).

Dan

@ThomasBrentnall @Spinksy
the ph1 they were on before you picked them up on Friday had the rear arches rolled so the didn't stick out

Clio 172 cup + 325ci
Not a fan of Rota wheels at all.I think the only way to make them fit would be camber and go the stance root but that defeats the purpose of your car.

What's the difference mate? I thought they were the same thing if I'm honest. How wide are those shims?

I love these alloy wheels.

If i could afford a set at the right time i would have them.

They look stunning !

Thanks mate :) will be good when they're fitted properly!

Very nice wheels mate, maybe you could change the rear stub axles to 172 ones as they are 5mm shorter.

image.jpg

RS1 all 172 models
RS2 all 182 models

Ooh that sounds like a good idea. How would I go about doing that?

they look nice. defo need more lows and the front fit fine just rears arches need rolling. running any spacers?

Yeah I'll wind the coilovers down once they're fitted properly :) not got any spacers on. They're just really wide wheels! :p

the ph1 they were on before you picked them up on Friday had the rear arches rolled so the didn't stick out

Yeah but if you look on his progress thread, they seem to fit a lot better before he had the arches flared. I'll pm him.

As I said when you text me, I think these sit perfect! Colour is perfect too, just roll the rear arches and you'll be reeete!

Haha, still not sure on keeping them white :p

Not a fan of Rota wheels at all.I think the only way to make them fit would be camber and go the stance root but that defeats the purpose of your car.

Yeah didn't expect everyone to like them, they're definitely a marmite wheel!

Just order a set off ebay or here mate and fit them/get them fitted, make sure you order the shorter ones.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_t...s&_nkw=clio+172+stub+axles&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Are the 172 and 172 cup ones the same mate?

Those tyres and camber shims are just asking for a write off! Contact patch will be minimal!

I'll go for the 172 stub axels first, hopefully they'll make enough difference. After that I think camber shims will be the only option apart from rolling the arches.

@-Danman- I believe the MAD ones are actual spacers ranging from 5mm - 15mm wide from -0.5 camber to -3.0 where as the link I mentioned are just shims that add camber but don't space it out as they are only 1mm think (approximately)

Heres a pic of MAD spacers and the shims I had on mine. Imo you don't need spacers with camber as your wheels are wide enough.

12575143235_f32e43c215.jpg

10mm rear hub spacers: No camber Vs Camber by Dr-Jekyll, on Flickr

Ah right okay, I assumed that they were the same thing. Didn't realise you could get the camber separate to spacers. They will be a lot better! Thanks for your help :)

100% not decided. Get it lowered and we'll know. (or photoshopped)

Maybe someone could do me a favour ;) I'll have to fit them again and take some more photos.

I think they look perfect mate!

I like it! Love rotas!

Thanks guys, even the colour? Everyone seems to be saying keep them white lol!