ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Took the 5D for a spin

I've had my 5D for a little while now but it's been sat in my camera bag since I bought it as I've been flat out planning our wedding for ages (it happened on Saturday, awesome day :)), as the missus is a teacher we didn't have time to go away properly (honeymoon is in July), so headed off to South Wales for a few nights.

As always these are quick and dirty, no filters, no messing around with tripods etc, I like to shoot as quickly as possible when on holiday so it doesn't get in the way of things. Processed through Snapseed on the new iPad (mainly very minor tweaks), which I'm very pleased to note maintains a pretty decent file size (iPad 1 was outputting at about 800kb, this one is up around the 4MB mark)

Saundersfoot (where we stayed)

i-6xfrLVm-L.jpg

Pembroke Castle (chance to play around with high ISO)

i-MK5dFkJ-L.jpg

i-Hpjwd3j-L.jpg

i-XXs5PnS-L.jpg

i-5mTjHtR-L.jpg

Tenby

i-s2Qc7Ht-L.jpg

i-2wZdCbn-L.jpg

Thrilled with this one, exactly as it looked in real life (bright sky, very dark on the ground), not something I've been able to capture accurately before...

i-tCCLCV7-L.jpg

i-3pKHPdM-L.jpg

The 5D is very misleading, the LCD preview is awful. Everything looks very underexposed, but as soon as I load them on to the iPad they pop like nothing else I've ever taken. It was a constant mix of sunshine and showers, so lots of shade but bright skies, and it handled it all brilliantly. Very pleased with my choice of lens' (Canon 17-40mm f4, 50mm 1.8 and 200mm 2.8), all had their uses, the 17-40mm is almost 3D at the wide end, love it, the 50mm on full-frame is a blast and the 200mm 2.8 just blew my mind looking through the viewfinder, the depth of field control possible is ridiculous.

Hawaii, Vegas and San Francisco next, and then hopefully New York again as I would love to see the results from this kit in a place I'm familiar and really comfortable with.

Great shots. They do look really wide. Certainly pop.

I love that Grand Designs place.

Congrats on the wedding too. Did you take any pics? Lol.

Nice pics Chris.

I saw that lifeboat 'house' on Grand Designs I think...turned it into a proper nice stylish pad.

Yup, the new lifeboat station is just to the right of it. The finish on the house looks stunning, I can't remember what they spent on it in the end but it looks amazing up close.

Congrats on the wedding too. Did you take any pics? Lol.

Yes :) Not as many as I would have liked though. Got a 3 week wait for the 'real' photos now, photographer was fantastic, I hate having my photo taken but he did a great job of flying through the group shots, the rest of the day/evening he just blended in and snapped away. Keep seeing him pop up in some of the video I've seen, had no idea he was there until I saw him on the vid!

Great pics Chris!

How is the FF at 17mm? Any cropping or vignette? I'd like one for car rigs shots.

A fair bit of vignetting at 17mm, especially wide open (see below), although by f8 it's not very noticeable.

17mm, f4, ISO 800 (one half of our B&B room when we arrived)
i-vfvm2Xm-L.jpg

Amazing pictures man. The second pic, the one with the guy with the long hair - is that a wax work or a moving person??

The 5D is very misleading, the LCD preview is awful. Everything looks very underexposed, but as soon as I load them on to the iPad they pop like nothing else I've ever taken. It was a constant mix of sunshine and showers, so lots of shade but bright skies, and it handled it all brilliantly.
I noticed this with my 600D at the weekend... Maybe it's a canon thing?

Amazing pictures man. The second pic, the one with the guy with the long hair - is that a wax work or a moving person??

Wax work model, it was a battle scene in one of the castle rooms, looked very realistic.

Lovely shots. Still enjoying it?

Yep, I don't tend to do any projects or anything these days, just pack the camera for trips/holidays and maybe the occasional Motorsport event. As I shoot less it's nice to have a camera/lenses that will really help me get the best out of whatever I'm shooting.