ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Top shock mount help

Clio 172 Sport
Hi all,

done my first track day today in the car, such a nice car to drive round the track....
however, after breaking hard and going into a left hand corner the there was a clonk and the front drivers side dropped causing me to spin. got it back to the pits and it looked like the bearing or mount on the top of the shock had gone. bought some new parts and after a while got them swapped over and the car was sitting right again and was good for another 10 laps. then it happened again (no spinning this time) so popping the bonnet i found that the top bracket is now sitting 1/2 inch higher than
the passanger side. so i took the top nut off and the fixing rubbers are sitting at different heights on both sides (see pictures not easy to explain). any reason why this keeps happening?
im not a mechanic so not sure if theres something simple im missing here....

photo 1 is the drivers side the one that keeps dropping

photo 2 is the passanger side
thanks in advance
Dave
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG

Clio 172 Sport
I dont thinks its in upside down... but to be honest i havent had that side off. looking at your picture that looks like my first picture but thats the one we are having issues with (Knocking etc). but im now wondering if where it dropped its actually where its "bedded in" properly and infact its the passanger side that is wrong???

Clio 172 Sport
There not upside down the one with the big gap has something stuck under it or it is the wrong rubber mount.
so from what your saying where its dropped its now sitting in the right location where as the passanger side (the one we havent taken off) is actually wrong. what would stop that from moving up and why would is still knock on the drivers side?

Clio 172 Sport
by the way guy thanks for the help.... i dont mind fixing things.. my only problems is im not very good at working out what it is that needs to be fixed.

Knock on the drivers side could be the damper, ball joint driveshaft, etc
The nut fitted in both pictures are the factory original not the revised one piece item.