ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

TOP SPEEDS? 160-170MPH can this be done?

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
I've had 145 mph out of mine on an autobahn downhill. My car has had no engine work but the shift light was on so doubt I could go faster even with extra bhp.

rps13
i have a tomtom now its the TOMTOM GO 530 one of the best new sat navs but its set to seconds to callcualte my movement and its propper b****cks on being ''accurate'' for calculatign my speed, for instancde i was sat at 65 on my clios speedo and the sat nav said i was only doing 59?

anythign i need to reset or settings changes ont he sat nav?

Lol your car is out not the sat nav.

This was on the way back from Switzerland, coming up through the German autobahns.

Had about 400kilos of extra weight on board with a fortnights worth of camping gear/clothes/gas for stove etc. Would have easily done a real (gps) 140+ had there been normal weight in the car.

Speedo said about 145 from memory.

Photo0184-1.jpg

Clio 182 BG
Hey,

lets have a mini meet at the autobahn:D

everyone can try if he want;)

then we´ll see who has the biggest balls:D

anyway i don´t think they built the Clio to reach the highest top speed...;)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
This was on the way back from Switzerland, coming up through the German autobahns.

Had about 400kilos of extra weight on board with a fortnights worth of camping gear/clothes/gas for stove etc. Would have easily done a real (gps) 140+ had there been normal weight in the car.

Speedo said about 145 from memory.

Photo0184-1.jpg

Weight affects acceleration...not top speed...i.e. how long it takes to reach top speed, but not ultimately the top speed itself.

Technically you would/could have been going faster with the weight than without it, as it would reduce the frontal drag area by lowering the car.

Hawkeye

ClioSport Club Member
  Damage repaired
I got an indicated 160mph in my 172....................................then i woke up with my face in a bowl of cornflakes.

Why the fcuk would you wanna go 160mph in a Clio, i was in a Nova at 150mph years ago and that was terrifying.

Lol your car is out not the sat nav.

my car isnt out? how would itell if it is? i never set 40mph speed cameras of going exactly 40mph and going 68+ on the motorway past mobile speed cameras i never get the blue lights in my rear view either so it cant be out on my car....

how would i know if its the sat nav??

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
gone off the clock at 160 in mine, but then i am running in the reigon of 280bhp ;)

330i. E30 Touring.
my car isnt out? how would itell if it is? i never set 40mph speed cameras of going exactly 40mph and going 68+ on the motorway past mobile speed cameras i never get the blue lights in my rear view either so it cant be out on my car....

The sat nav is correct, your car's speedo isn't.

Many variants affect why the speedo reads more than your car is actually going.

Indicated (on speedo) 45mph, is fine in a 40. Indicated 80mph is fine in a 70mph, IME.

Weight affects acceleration...not top speed...i.e. how long it takes to reach top speed, but not ultimately the top speed itself.

Technically you would/could have been going faster with the weight than without it, as it would reduce the frontal drag area by lowering the car.

I appreciate what you are saying but what i meant to say is that there was so much weight in there, the car reached a point (at 137mph) whereby it couldnt pull all that weight to a higher speed. There was more revs left to go.

Whilst i understand weight does not affect top speed absolutely, this was on the autobahn where traffic is a specific issue and the roads are not entirely flat, if the car had been at normal weight, the power to weight ratio goes well up - that must make it significantly easier to reach the speed its gearing is capable of.

53 Clio's & counting
Not really Tom, its weird, logic would say the lighter it is the faster it can go, but weight will not effect top speed, it might reduce the rate you reach it, but it will still end up going the same speed flat out loaded as it would empty

Not really Tom, its weird, logic would say the lighter it is the faster it can go, but weight will not effect top speed, it might reduce the rate you reach it, but it will still end up going the same speed flat out loaded as it would empty

I think thats probably my point.

The rate at which it was accelerating at those high speeds with all the weight was so slow, whilst it technically may have gone on to achieve the same top speed, i would have needed the nardo test track to get there!

In those autobahn circumstances i am certain i would have been able to get faster than 137 had i been running the normal weight, however i appreciate what your saying with regards to the maths of it.

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.

Pmsl!!!!! Of course it's fine, because your speedo under-reads not over reads!