ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Topped up the oil

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

I noticed that my 172 was a bit low on fuel (Dash oil indicator looked something like this 0000_)

so I thought Id top her up with some yummy 10W50 fully synthetic but jeezus...Ive just thrown 5 litres down into her and it barely seemed to make a difference...it all just went in, and it seemed like she could have taken much more...

Have I overfilled her? will too much oil break her

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by viceroy on 23 April 2004

I noticed that my 172 was a bit low on fuel (Dash oil indicator looked something like this 0000_)

so I thought Id top her up with some yummy 10W50 fully synthetic but jeezus...Ive just thrown 5 litres down into her and it barely seemed to make a difference...it all just went in, and it seemed like she could have taken much more...

I think that was about what mine took for its oil change!!

172 Cup

i think something is wrong somewhere and i think that you have well overfilled her as most cars around 2.0 hold about 5l in total!!!

has it been sounding really tappy?

Paul

Volvo S60 T5

5 ltrs of oil for a top up, well overfilled, I suggest you drain it out ASAP before the engine goes bang!
If the engine had been a diesel which its not it would have run on its own oil and blown up.

Totally drain the oil from the sump, fit the bung back in with a new washer and add 5ltrs of oil, 4.8ltrs without changing filter.

Use the dipstick, not the dash display as the sensor sticks sometimes.

Dont rag it whatever you do, drive it with extreme care if you have to use it before draining oil.(Personally I would not drive it until sorted)

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

as above the engine only holds about 5 litres anyway so id say youve overfilled it!. the 5 zeros on your display indicate between min and max on the manual dipstick. its takes about 1 1/2 litres to top up from min to max. if there was just one zero missing then it only wanted about 1/4 litre of oil top up. drain that off asap.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by Smokey on 23 April 2004

:confused:lol that sounds alot!!

Wheres the Oil Indicator?:confused:

Bumpty Bump anyone?
you know on your instrument panel display it says oil ok when you first put the ing on well if you press the trip reset button it will show you the actual level using 5 zeros. 5 zeros means full, 0 zeros means empty top up asap(the zeros will be replaced by 5 flashing lines)

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Well, I couldnt get back online, to check answers, so I had to drive, unfortunately on the motorway, but luckily at night.

Car was extremely sluggish, could hardly get her over 3000rpm, and when I got close to 4000rpm she poured out smoke...

Got home, in one piece and didnt sleep.

Next morning drained the oil, filled up again and she seems fine now...no funny noises, been gradually taking the revs up, but all seems well...even went on a long drive today (treasure hunt with VW club)...I think I was a tad lucky

Quote: Originally posted by viceroy on 23 April 2004

Hang on a sec........your low on fuel, top her up with oil........so the oils in your fuel tank?

;)

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

that was a typo...meant to type oil...dunno why I typed fuel.

No dripping oil so I guess Im ok with regard to the oil seals.

*sighs a big sigh of relief*

You may well have screwed your piston rings as the smoke was likely oil forcing its way past them and into the combustion chamber.

Dont take this the wrong way but Jeezus what where you thinking?