ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Torrent warning email

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
ok i download the odd film, as most people do, but have had an email today from my ISP stating that new line cinema have complained about me to my ISP for downloading 1 particular film.

Anyone else had anything similar?

Says I need to reply stating I wont download anything again in this mannor, or my account will be terminated.

It is very specific also, so I dont believe it is a scam or anything.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
Nildram, who are owned by PIPEX.

Film included a golden orientating device

not sure where is was from, either p*ratebay or m*ninova

It doesnt sound too threatening, just shows the original complaint, which has details of the download and ip address, etc, then they have said they have received a complaint and i need to reply within 7 days to say i wont use my account for anything like that again, or risk having it terminated.

Only download the odd film, so im no hardcore user. Guessing probably 100+ other people got the same email. Bit worrying though, I think its probably just a slap on the wrist to put you off doing it in the future.

Last edited:
  VaVa
Oo er lol. Big brother is watching you lol.

The film based on the Phillip Pullman novel, Northerrn Lights?

Not very bright are you FM? ;)

VaVa
Which is the film based on the Phillip Pullman Novel, Northern lights. It was renamed so as not to confuse the Americans. Seriously.

And of course it's an alethiometer, not a compass. But Golden Alethiometer isn't very catchy tbh. lol

Clear enough for you? Clampit! ;)

VaVa
lol! Delete it and tell them you haven't watched it and that you downloaded it by mistake. You were actually searching for Golden Showers.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
good thinking! lol!

I best reply then saying I will not use my account for anything like that ever again!

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Pipex are an awful ISP.. anyway my friend had something along the lines of this but instead a letter in the post warning him legal action was going to be taken against him for downloading a game. Whoever sent the letter got all his personal info from his ISP (BT), he looked into it and just sat on the letter and nothing has happened since, this was 4 months ago.

Plenty of info on this sorta thing around the web though.

850 T5. mmmm Turbo!
i was just thinking the last thing i want is for my old man to open the phone bill and read about the films i download...... :(

VaVa
I refrained from saying that as I normally do in every thread involving torrents lol. But seeing as you've said it..

Newsgroups FTW +1

clio 16v
ok i download the odd film, as most people do, but have had an email today from my ISP stating that new line cinema have complained about me to my ISP for downloading 1 particular film.

Anyone else had anything similar?

Says I need to reply stating I wont download anything again in this mannor, or my account will be terminated.

It is very specific also, so I dont believe it is a scam or anything.

LOL at not changing your IP address to one in Brazil before joining a torrent swarm.

clio 16v
Why do people actually still use torrents? I mean newsgroups are vastly superior in that you can download whole films in 20mins instead of 4 days:lolup:

Also far more secure especially if using an encrypted service. The chances of being busted are virtually zero.

ITB BG 182
well, the neighbour got a letter from virgin media warning him of the downloading thing. He sent an offical letter back to them an also signed from a solictor (his brother) saying that the internet is on a wireless connection at the moment an he does no downloading of any sorts, an that he believes hes been a victim of wireless terror or broadband theft.
He did however get a letter back from them saying that they will send some one round to teach him how to set up a secure wireless connection for use with multiple laptops that would be easily accessable for him in the future.
Its been nearly 3 weeks now an no sign of anyone not even a card in the door sort thing.
An i aint got a wired broadband at the moment either ;)

172 A Cupwork Orange™
i will say it yet again dont download from public trackers as this is what happens

Punto/Clio GTT
Why do people actually still use torrents? I mean newsgroups are vastly superior in that you can download whole films in 20mins instead of 4 days:lolup:

Also far more secure especially if using an encrypted service. The chances of being busted are virtually zero.

4 days? you on 56k? lol

i get a film in 1-2 hours

clio 16v

4 days? you on 56k? lol

Im on upto 8 meg which at non peak times usually gives 6 meg. my torrent speeds never go higher than 100 kbps where as when using newsgroups I get approx 6500 kbps. No contest really.

Punto/Clio GTT
4 days? you on 56k? lol

Im on upto 8 meg which at non peak times usually gives 6 meg. my torrent speeds never go higher than 100 kbps where as when using newsgroups I get approx 6500 kbps. No contest really.

so because you get slow speeds means everyone else does?

ive never had problems with torrents tbh.

just have a hunt around for the best seeded stuff, throw a load of downloads on and leave the pc on overnight.

im sure newsgroups do eliminate the need to search for a well seeded item, but for me, its just not worth the cost.

clio 16v

so because you get slow speeds means everyone else does?

ive never had problems with torrents tbh.

just have a hunt around for the best seeded stuff, throw a load of downloads on and leave the pc on overnight.

im sure newsgroups do eliminate the need to search for a well seeded item, but for me, its just not worth the cost.

thats not what im saying at all man just putting forward my experience of torrents thats all. Everbody has their own opinions and in my case im downloading between 100-150 Gb per month so a tenner a month is well worth it IMO.

dk

911 GTS Cab
i've heard about these, they are cracking down and lots of it is going to happen form now on.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/feb/12/piracy.politics

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technology/2008/02/uk_takes_tough_stance_on_pirac.html

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/15/tiscali_bpi_agreement/

New Line are no more anyway:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/a90525/new-line-cinema-merges-with-warner-bros.html

not sure if thats a good or a bad thing, warner have a much bigger clout, but they might not have the same stance as newline on all of this.

clio 16v
i've heard about these, they are cracking down and lots of it is going to happen form now on.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/feb/12/piracy.politics

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technology/2008/02/uk_takes_tough_stance_on_pirac.html

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/15/tiscali_bpi_agreement/

New Line are no more anyway:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/a90525/new-line-cinema-merges-with-warner-bros.html

not sure if thats a good or a bad thing, warner have a much bigger clout, but they might not have the same stance as newline on all of this.

they have to be able to see what your downloading first ;)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
This has happened to a few people on the Torrent L**ch forums, its just certain films not really sure what the deal is, it might be worth looking on there for advice