ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Total beginner ... What camera ?

Peddled device
I read that the Nikon D5100 is an excellent camera to start with.

Would you buy new or secondhand, and from where?

What lenses are best for taking a variety of shots of city scenes and the usual snaps of friends etc ?

Last edited:

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
You'll get pretty much the same replies as everyone who asks that question.

Go to your local camera shop, Curry's etc and hold both the Canon and Nikons. I've no idea on the Nikon models as I'm a Canon guy. From what I've read on here though, lenses are a bit more tricky with Nikon as some need the focus motor built in (although in sure someone on here will be able to explain better than me)

Even try the Sony NEX range too. Very good cameras from what I've seen.

The kit lens that you'd usually get would be OK to start with with, then look at a 10-20 sigma for city and landscapes and a 50mm 1.8 which is good for people shots (although I'm looking at 30mm primes to replace the 50mm)

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
I've owned a D5100 and it would be a great starter camera, lenses I'd reccomend you get are either a 50mm F1.8 or F1.4 (if you can stretch the budget for the 1.4) and a wide angle such as the Sigma 10-20. I've got a 35mm F1.8, a Sigma 50mm F1.4 and a brand new (recieved yesterday) Sigma 10-20 on my D7000 which has the same sensor as the D5100 and they work a treat and provide some stunning images.

G51 BEN
I know i've posted this a few times but I have the Nikon D5100 with 50mm 1.8 and a 18-70mm lens. 6 month old on eBay for £420. Perfect condition. The lenses will be a bit more expensive as they need the auto focus motor built in, but if you are only getting a couple of lenses you won't see the difference in cost.

Like others say, go and hold them and have a play!!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I know i've posted this a few times but I have the Nikon D5100 with 50mm 1.8 and a 18-70mm lens. 6 month old on eBay for £420. Perfect condition. The lenses will be a bit more expensive as they need the auto focus motor built in, but if you are only getting a couple of lenses you won't see the difference in cost.

Like others say, go and hold them and have a play!!
FLOL, they don't cost that new!!

Peddled device
Do you recommend that I buy a secondhand camera from Ebay, or buy new ? What did you do when you started out ?

G51 BEN
FLOL, they don't cost that new!!

They are £400 new with kit lens, and considering I got a better lens than standard (18-70 instead of 18-55) AND a prime lens chucked in which should be £150, I didn't get a bad deal tbh

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
They are £400 new with kit lens, and considering I got a better lens than standard (18-70 instead of 18-55) AND a prime lens chucked in which should be £150, I didn't get a bad deal tbh

Sorry I completely misunderstood your post; I thought you were trying to sell your D5100 with a single lens for £420!

G51 BEN
God no!! That's how much I paid for the camera with both lenses and I intend to keep hold of it for another year or two :) Brilliant camera for a decent price was the point I was trying to make