ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Totally p***ed off...........

Iceberg 172
Got my car rolling roaded monday to see how much power its pushing out as i have made a few mods (K&N induction, cat back exhaust and Superchip) and when i got the print out, it only showed that it was pushing out 179bhp @ 6656 rpm!!!! I was well disappointed, cos i was hoping nearer 190.

The guys at Superchips were really good, they explained that cars are rarely the bhp that is stated but with the above mods i should've been looking at an increase of around 12 - 15 bhp...........so does that mean that my car was more 160 bhp standard, or is there something actually wrong with my car. The thing is i can feel the difference when driving it now from when it was standard.

I feel that i have lost a bit of the fun of driving my car now and really dont know what to do.

172 Cup
Dude I don't know why you're so upset about it. I'd say with the mods you have you'd be lucky to get 190bhp. I wouldn't be dissapointed with what you've got. Lighten up, it's not as if you've gone out and spent £1000+ on mods.

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..
if your car feels quicker than it was before your mods then its not to bad, your going to get very little gains from induction & only a catback, but the chip has obviously helped, as the forum wil tell you the rs is expensive to get real gains, it helps to have a target & budget to start, then get some proper advice from eg GDI, Hillpower, Yozzasport to name a few.

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6
wouldnt be upset with those figues! about right for the mods like said before. dont know alot of people who have had big gains from superchip .

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
most 172's made circa 166bhp std.

so getting what you have is quite reasonable

however as everyone seens to forget....

what were the mid range gains like??

Andy

Punto. Wahey.
Just think how lucky you are that you can afford to buy, insure and run such a great car. It could be worse.

They're hardly slow stock, anyway, are they? Numbers aren't important, driving experience is.

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
As said previously,whats the big fuss all about? 180BHP from a 172 with those small mods is great IMHO.
Some people have had a RR and found out they are running closer to 150 than 172. Maybe get your inlet manifold matched and they could get you into mid 180's.
Honestly,from what i've read on here,yours is a good one,lol.
Enjoy it,if it feels faster then great.
John

2015 Audi S3 Stage 3
Iain C said:
loose the k&n if its an open filter.
Mabye a piper viper might give u and extra 2 hp.
It should feel a bit quicker....its not just about numbers

thats my advice too - ive been to several RR days and found that k&n's are to blame for loss of power!

if your wanting an IK id spend the money on a decent one!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
You got FAR too much imo...k&N loses power and the superchip is not mapped to those mods...I'm very surprised you got over 172.

Megane225FF
best thing would've been to have it RR before the mods, then you would've found out how much you'd gained...
as said above, they're good gains from what you've had done..

still probably quicker than other clios , next is to plan ahead . save some money and get more power m8 .

look forward ;)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
You've every right to be pissed off. I changed the spark-plugs on mine and got a proven 237bhp.:clown:

Seriously though, check the threads on here and you'll see a huge margin in stock power outputs from seemingly identical cars - and that's before they are fettled with. It's not like Reno uses blueprint engines or anything and like others have said, if you've noticed an improvement, just be chuffed with it!

D.

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
Ali said:
You got FAR too much imo...k&N loses power and the superchip is not mapped to those mods...I'm very surprised you got over 172.

My thoughts exactly, i can't beleive you got as much as you did with those mods!

VaVa
Peak power peak schmower.

My 172 with Maxogen, cat back, inlet and GrpN ECU probably doesn't have much extra peak hp. But by f**k does it go!! To me, after a few mods, a road test (driving safely and below the speed limit of course) is more important than a rolling road.

Don't think... Feeeeeel!!!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
wide said:
ali what was the bore size of your exhaust m8???

with std airbox and zorst car ran 173.8 so the IK lost me 4BHP! LOL...Ramair piece of s**t, Similar to the viper! Too much air.

Nitroused MX5
From what I've found on the 172s from track reports, the biggest problem they suffer with is inlet temperature, even with a decent induction kit, and that they run better on colder days. A small dose of nitrous helps no end in reducing the charge temps.
I have been told though that the engines are 'highly stressed' and adding too much power to them isn't so good. Anyone comment on this?

As it is, I've only added 50hp with a single injector to one so far, but I would've expected to add around 150hp with direct port nitrous injection and a controller.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Streetcar_nitro said:
From what I've found on the 172s from track reports, the biggest problem they suffer with is inlet temperature, even with a decent induction kit, and that they run better on colder days. A small dose of nitrous helps no end in reducing the charge temps.
I have been told though that the engines are 'highly stressed' and adding too much power to them isn't so good. Anyone comment on this?

As it is, I've only added 50hp with a single injector to one so far, but I would've expected to add around 150hp with direct port nitrous injection and a controller.

PMSL! Oh be quiet.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
it was predictable! Open bonnet 100Mph of cold air...Std ecu canny deal with it.

Iceberg 172
LMFAO cheers guys, i feel like a total drama queen now
I think i shall shut up about it and enjoy the driving experience, we'll see how she performs at the FCS

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
c_lee_oh said:
LMFAO cheers guys, i feel like a total drama queen now
I think i shall shut up about it and enjoy the driving experience, we'll see how she performs at the FCS

You goiong on track mate?