ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toyo Proxes T1-R



  1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
lol, i've found them to be far better in the wet than the yoko A539's. Guess it differs!
 
  ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
Loony said:
Toyo's suck the big one. Fine in the dry but proper ditchfinders in the damp/wet.
Agree 100% Can't wait to get them off my alloys (came free). Even in the dry I don't trust them.
 
Saner said:
lol, i've found them to be far better in the wet than the yoko A539's. Guess it differs!

Yoko's arent known for their ability in the wet either but i cant comment personally as ive never had a set.
 
  1996 Valver
Toyo's are the first 'decent' tyre I have had on my car, and think they grip very well, just holds on so much better than any tyre I have had before.

As for the comments in the wet........I drive sensibly in the damp/wet so never get close to loosing grip, on the rare occasion I do drive a bit faster, not had any probs as yet:quiet: (famous last words)
 
  CTR--VX220D
Superb.

I have them on the VX.... They work good in the dry... on the limit they are very progressive so you have more control.

Side walls are softer compared to Bridge Pots.... but that noticeable.

They are also very good in the wet IMO.

Im getting a set for the 172 as soon as I get it.
 
  CTR--VX220D
Beware though - they take alot of bedding in compared to other makes and can feel quite greasy for the first couple of hundred miles.

So take it easy.
 
I don't like them in 15 inch spec usless tyre only good thing is there a bit stiffer side walled than the conti and hard wearing. They didn't seem as bad in 16 inch on a 182 though.
 
  TVR Cerbera
I've got Y 539's on mine and i agree with the wet problems, fun in a cup with no abs i can say. I'm also looking to change to t1r's too. be interesting what ppl have to say

Daz
 
  Leon Cupra R 225
they're defo better than yoko's in the wet but i think generally yoko's have the edge in the dry. tho for the money toyo's are very good tyres
 
Not as good as F1s ;) lol

If the T1-Rs are as bad as the T1-s's then I won't be buying another set unless it's for track work or a very dry summer!
 
  CTR--VX220D
T1-R - T1-S...... Chalk and cheese IMO....

I rate T1-R's up there with 888's [T1-R's for fast road and some track - 888's for Mostly track and some fast road].
 
  M2 Competition
I love my t1-r's, used em on track sunday, found they had phenominal grip in the dry. Maybe not the best in the wet, but you've gotta be daft to hoon a cup in the wet anyhow.

They're far grippier than the exalto's i took off in the dry imo, noticed a big difference upon fitting them...
 

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I had T1-S's and then T1-R's on my old 172 , okay in the dry , widower makers in the wet , absolute shite , not a patch on the exaltos which are fantastic in the wet and dry .
 
  1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
I think thats most peoples problem, they compare them to a tyre that is twice the price. for a tyre that cost £50 per corner I have yet to find anything better all round.
 
  CTR--VX220D
Widow makers in the wet!!!!! Not!

Most VX220 owners when upgrading to the 16/17 setup go for T1'Rs due to their overall performance in the wet and dry. I had no problems whatsover in my VX [which has no driver aids] in the wet.

I think you need to adapt your driving style to the conditions of the road.

Also as Ive said the T1R's take a while to scub in compared to other tyres - so be careful before hooning around with them in the dry let alone the wet.

PS.. Your asking for trouble if you push it in the wet.

888's have very soft compound rubber - you could call them road legal slicks... but are cheaper than Yoko A048's, and last longer [8000 miles compared to 4000 Yoko miles] plus have had good write ups by some Exige owners I know. If your serious about your track work and dont mind spending a bit of cash every now and then on rubber then get the 888's.
 

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
TOYO.jpg


EXALTO1.jpg


EXALTO2.jpg


;)
 

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
christurbo said:
Widow makers in the wet!!!!! Not!

Most VX220 owners when upgrading to the 16/17 setup go for T1'Rs due to their overall performance in the wet and dry. I had no problems whatsover in my VX [which has no driver aids] in the wet.

I think you need to adapt your driving style to the conditions of the road.

Also as Ive said the T1R's take a while to scub in compared to other tyres - so be careful before hooning around with them in the dry let alone the wet.

PS.. Your asking for trouble if you push it in the wet.

888's have very soft compound rubber - you could call them road legal slicks... but are cheaper than Yoko A048's, and last longer [8000 miles compared to 4000 Yoko miles] plus have had good write ups by some Exige owners I know. If your serious about your track work and dont mind spending a bit of cash every now and then on rubber then get the 888's.

Like i said , Toyos shite in the wet , exaltos fantastic in the wet . Seeing that we live in a wet climate i know which ones i would go for everytime .
 
  1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Posting a size that some people wont use is pointless.

let me check how much they are for me on mytyres:

Toyo's : £49.40
Michelin: £91.90

Come paring the Toyo's to the other tyres at the same price, they come out best.
 
He asked are they any good, he didnt ask if they are good VFM, i'd agree if you were stuck to a budget then there are worse tyres out there but if you are speaking in general i dont rate them.

As for chris suggesting it's an issue with driving style, i for one dont drive like a prick in the wet, it's too unpredictable and if you add diesel dropped from HGV's to a damp road then attacking bends or roundabouts will only end in tears.

With the Toyos I noticed that the front end was alot more nervous, didnt seem to turn in as well, and generally felt like it was going to wash out when i had them fitted to the 172, that stopped when i went back to the conti's. Then when i swapped to the 182 with the PE2s on it it feels even more surefooted.
 

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Saner said:
Posting a size that some people wont use is pointless.

let me check how much they are for me on mytyres:

Toyo's : £49.40
Michelin: £91.90

Come paring the Toyo's to the other tyres at the same price, they come out best.

Point # 1. He never said for what car .

Point # 2 .He never said for what size of tyre.

Like loony says . He never asked about value for money , he wanted peoples opinions on the toyos and my opinion is they are s**t in the wet.

It says he has a 1.216v clio. For all i know he could have larger aftermarket wheels / tyres . So i was merely stating the size of tyre that i would need . Even if the toyos where half the price of the michelins i would go for the michelins everytime . At the end of the day the tyres are an intergral part of the saftey features on a car as are the brakes and i wouldn't go for cheap n nasty brakes either .

You pay your money , you take your choices ( chances )

At the end of the day i want a car i can drive and enjoy in all weathers .Imo and experience with the toyos you can't , with the michelins you can :)
 
  1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
I'm not debating the VFM thing, was just trying to should that your statment of them being the same price could be flawed, seeing as we have no idea of what size he wants.

What I do disagree with is calling them s**t, for what they are they are good. Sure the Pe 2's are better, I know they are, but not everyone can afford to pay extra, even if its just a tenner!

It's like saying that my cheaper Sony Hi-Fi is s**t, just becuase its not as good as a Denon one, when in reality its good for what it is. Its the same with teh tyres, the research and technology that goes into them.
 
  Renault Leguna 2.0 T LTD
im on 15"s, I just got the tyres fitted/balanced for £160. They seem much better than the old ones.
 

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
edit - see post below. I fcuked up cos i'm in a rush , lol .
 
Last edited:

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Saner said:
I'm not debating the VFM thing, was just trying to should that your statment of them being the same price could be flawed, seeing as we have no idea of what size he wants.

What I do disagree with is calling them sh*t, for what they are they are good. Sure the Pe 2's are better, I know they are, but not everyone can afford to pay extra, even if its just a tenner!

It's like saying that my cheaper Sony Hi-Fi is sh*t, just becuase its not as good as a Denon one, when in reality its good for what it is. Its the same with teh tyres, the research and technology that goes into them.

I never said they were the same price . You said the michelins cost twice as much . They don't cost twice as much for my size of tyre . Like you say , maybe not everbody can afford an extra tenner , if that was the case i'd save up well in advance for a time when i know i'm going to need some new tyres . Imo the little bit extra they cost is worth it :)
 
  CTR--VX220D
Billy.... Do not buy a lightweight midengined sports car and defo do not buy any Yoko A048's or T 888's.... You might come unstuck.

The performance of the Toyo's are proven to be a very good.... NOT a budget tyre.

I'll leave it there.
 

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
christurbo said:
Billy.... Do not buy a lightweight midengined sports car and defo do not buy any Yoko A048's or T 888's.... You might come unstuck.

The performance of the Toyo's are proven to be a very good.... NOT a budget tyre.

I'll leave it there.

I have no intention of buying a lightweight midengined sports car with either Yoko A048's or T 888's .

I'm giving my opinion based on my experience of the toyos v exaltos , with the former being crap .

I'll leave it there ;)
 

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
i beg to differ...... thats YOUR opinion, its not the right answer. ;) i have them and think they are mint. People are probably running wrong pressures etc
 
  1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
gt_gaz said:
i beg to differ...... thats YOUR opinion, its not the right answer. ;) i have them and think they are mint. People are probably running wrong pressures etc

Thats a good point.. I found I had to run higher PSi on track compared to other tyres i've used in teh past to get the toyo's to perform well
 
With the Toyo T1-S (185/55/15 in my case) I've found them to be quite sure footed at 33psi on the front, but up them to 34 and they just don't "bite" - it feels like they're just rolling onto the sidewalls or something :S

But if you lower the pressure they are too soft, and 'squirm' under braking and direction changes during cornering.

IMO ok for the dry, at the right pressure. In the wet you have to run them at lower pressure or they just skate over the road. With the lower pressures they will still slide out without much warning and be pretty uncontrollable (i.e. you can't really feel when they're starting to get the grip back) but grip is quite strongly up until that point.

I'm just not keen. They're not progressive enough in the wet for me. I am looking forward to swapping back to F1s for winter!
 
  Stage 2 172 Turbo
got them on my 172, gr8 tyres. had 2 sets of toyo's on my cossie and never had any problems. They are a soft compound though so will wear a lot quicker than a tyre like the mitchelin!
 
  CTR--VX220D
Saner said:
Thats a good point.. I found I had to run higher PSi on track compared to other tyres i've used in teh past to get the toyo's to perform well

Maybe due to the softer sidewalls.

The optimum tyre pressure for the VX on Toyo's is 22PSI front, 24 PSI rear as tested by Horizon Motorsport, I wonder what the optimum TP is for the clio???
 


Top