ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toyota Starlet Glanza V?

mk2 ph1 1.6 16v MTV
my bf has got one at mo. its a really fun car as people realy underestimate them! its forged with a tdo4 and it really goes. the look on peoples faces wen u go past them is worth it alone!!!

RB FF 182
This is my mate Jacqui's:

IMG_8472.jpg

1997 Toyota Starlet Glanza
15" SSR Type C Lightweight Alloys
HKS Mushroom Filter Induction Kit
Limited Slip Diff
Turbo Timer
Boost Gauge
Variable Airflow Control System
2 Bride Bucket Seats
Full Safety 21 Roll Cage
Laguna Splitter
Tein Coilovers
Momo Steering Wheel
Wind Deflectors

I've driven this wee car a few times and it's a wee rocket, recently had the boost turned down and about level with the 182.

From 50 in third gear I cant keep up! But catch it eventually.

It's had the w@nked out mirrors taken off it and replaced with standard items and looks alot better now. Just needs rid of the head light covers.

Not bad for £2000 taxed and tested.

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
Mine had Tein coilovers (albeit a Gt, not a Glanza) and handled much, much better than my 172. It had camber adjustable top mounts, with pillowball mounts all round, and Enkei wheels and it was genuinely amazing. The one car I really, really regret selling. At the time I was 23 with 3 years ncb and it cost me £300 a year fully comp to insure through Elephant, was £68 for 6 months tax, and would do 80 miles on quarter of a tank with a steady right foot.

I only had basic mods of a WEPR de-cat exhaust and Apexi intake, and Sard BOV (The one car having a BOV really made a differance on) I had to move the intake away from the front bumper as it kept hitting the fuel cut. Had amazing overtaking abilities too. I fitted Recaros from an sw20 Mr2 turbo which made a huge differance.

I'd buy another one tomorrow if I sold my 172. Can you tell I like them?

Interesting. Had though of one of these for myself at some point.

But have you considered that if you can't get insured on a standard 182 chances are getting insured on a tuned, as let's face it, it has to be tuned to be worth having, one will happen, for a reasonable price?

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Mine had Tein coilovers (albeit a Gt, not a Glanza) and handled much, much better than my 172. It had camber adjustable top mounts, with pillowball mounts all round, and Enkei wheels and it was genuinely amazing. The one car I really, really regret selling. At the time I was 23 with 3 years ncb and it cost me £300 a year fully comp to insure through Elephant, was £68 for 6 months tax, and would do 80 miles on quarter of a tank with a steady right foot.

I only had basic mods of a WEPR de-cat exhaust and Apexi intake, and Sard BOV (The one car having a BOV really made a differance on) I had to move the intake away from the front bumper as it kept hitting the fuel cut. Had amazing overtaking abilities too. I fitted Recaros from an sw20 Mr2 turbo which made a huge differance.

I'd buy another one tomorrow if I sold my 172. Can you tell I like them?

same coileys as I had by the sounds of things. Cost 1k but worth it. That's with cusco front and rear braces, whiteline arbs and anti lift kit and uprated panhard rod. I had a jcw gp understeering in front of me on a roadabout..now that can't be bad.

mk2 ph1 1.6 16v MTV
prob around 280-290 but never bin dynoed shoud be done soonish. just had a trd dif put in. so can actually get grip now!

mk2 ph1 1.6 16v MTV
I see this one round Hastings, remember it being in Banzai? Used to belong to Dean Clarke iirc?

yeah we r from hastings! it was deans and he sold it 2 my m8 and then my bf bought it off her!then it went bang so got it forged etc!! it was featured in jap performance!!

mk2 ph1 1.6 16v MTV
i reaise the pic i put up is of the car on a dyno!! but it was only runnin 1 bar of boost at that time!!

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
Used to work with Dean. Was a really nice car when I saw it, was a couple of years ago now though. is it still as clean as it was?

mk2 ph1 1.6 16v MTV
oh really??!! thanx!! yeah it is! im sure ull see it around as we r always about!! the interior has changed abit got scooby seats with harnesses and the back has bin stripped!!

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
Interesting. Had though of one of these for myself at some point.

But have you considered that if you can't get insured on a standard 182 chances are getting insured on a tuned, as let's face it, it has to be tuned to be worth having, one will happen, for a reasonable price?

My insurance price was with all mods declared. I'd imagine even with mods, it'll be a darn sight cheaper than a 182.

White Evo V
I had a 1996 ep92 glanza running a TD04 @ 232 bhp. Had trd coilovers on and handled like a piece of sh*t tbh! Lol. If you want a well handling car then forget it, I tried everything and it got no better! In a straight line it was awesome though! 1/4 mile in low 13 secs with LOTS of wheelspin ;)

In the end I sold it because the built quality is like a Nissan micra - terrible! Everything rattled and broke and snapped off, build was very poor and cheap! Also i was sick of my mates taking the piss calling it a pizza delivery car! Lol

oh and at 20 with no years no claims I paid £600 tpft. Can't remeber who it was through though? Some of them come up on insurers listings as a group 3 because of how they were registered, find one of them and ur onto a winner with the insurance!

Il try dig some pics out of my old one :)

Last edited:
  White Evo V
Found a pic of her, looks horrible now! I loved it when I was 20! This was 4 years ago remeber! Had a really really expensive Blitz fmic on too :)

b2e11012.jpg

Clio 172 ph1 with ITB's
I had bc's, they had 32 point adjustable dampeners but even on the softest setting still far to firm, spring rate and damper rate.

I got a set of meister R's and they where much better suited to uk roads, and made my car not sound rattly at all, like a new car although most parts on my car where new lol.

Interesting...

What's the reliability like on these. Obviously tuned engines can become, less reliable. But still..

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Not one problem with mine engine wise running 230 horses and lots and lots of abuse. Thinking back it's was prob one of my most reliable cars

Clio 172
I've just bought myself a Glanza and I absolutely love it, by all means not the best looking car in the world but they are nippy for a 1.3, especially when you take off the low boost restriction in 1st and 2nd

Reading around on the starlet owners club they seem to be pretty tunable aswell! Cant wait to get going on mine :)

mk2 ph1 1.6 16v MTV
yeah they great little cars! cheap tax too!!:approve: i think my bfs one is a really nice looking one! yeah they r really tunable but they r fragile as well!!

Clio 172
Yeah the handling on mine doesn't give me the greatest confidence, need to spend some dough on a decent set up I reckon

R34 GT-R & 172 Cup
Really like these now, shouldnt be looking at them but if prices turn out cheaper on insurance may just have to sway that way.

Clio 172
The more you look at them the more they grow on you! Just dont look at them from the back lol

Seriously go over to one of the starlet forums or gtownersclub and have a look at some pictures, they can look awesome. They can be fookin fast aswell

Ph1 track slag
I had a starlet turbo before my pulsar (before my clio) and loved it! while it was standard it was super reliable never once let me down till i fitted a td04l turbo kit on it then it went pop (big ends turned to mush). I only ran it with the standard intercooler grafted on and at low boost but it still made 198bhp on rollers at only 9psi!! As for the handling, they're not anywhere near in same league as a 182/172 but not bad at all.

Clio 172
I had a starlet turbo before my pulsar (before my clio) and loved it! while it was standard it was super reliable never once let me down till i fitted a td04l turbo kit on it then it went pop (big ends turned to mush). I only ran it with the standard intercooler grafted on and at low boost but it still made 198bhp on rollers at only 9psi!! As for the handling, they're not anywhere near in same league as a 182/172 but not bad at all.

Yeah the td04 seems like quite a popular mod, lol at running it on the standard intercooler! Need to splash some cash on my suspension :dead:

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Td04 and standard top mount = fail. Hot hot hot haha

The standard mani is shockin too!

mk2 ph1 1.6 16v MTV
yeah tdo4 is prob 1 of the best routes to go,also glanzas have weaker rods than the gts. my bfs standard mani is long gone it now runs a equal length zisco mani with screamer for better boost control. coilovers do make a difference but a rear anti roll bar is a wise upgrade