ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track day Coilovers

Clio 182
Hi all,

no doubt it’s been discussed previously on this group.

what Coilovers are everyone running for track only clios. Our track day got cut short today with a blown front strut so time for a change.

Just looking to see what everyone is running?

pic for attention

Attachments

• A9638BDA-F63A-43AE-BC96-E2A716C558DE.jpeg
    A9638BDA-F63A-43AE-BC96-E2A716C558DE.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 67

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
I think most of all it’s down to budget, ast’s are probably the best but expensive. I like BC’s though.

Philip Griffiths

ClioSport Club Member
  182 cup
What are people thinking about the gaz golds? Or the k-tech 750 club spec?

I built a cossie with gaz gha’s on and they were really good. So I’m assuming the golds should be better again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
I had GAZ gold’s on my ZR race car but they were custom valved so not really a fair comparison.
i didn’t like the GHA’s on the road, the bc’s for me have been the best compromise for budget/ride quality and performance. But currently I have AST 4200 on my cup and they amazing but equally expensive

Clio 172 + Clio200T
I run mine on AST 5100, with PMS rear ARB, PMS bump steer kit, and powerflex camber adjustable bushings and the car has a crazy grip! Its incredibly fun to drive and its really fast on track! They are expensive shocks.. but for me, having had other lower tier brands in the past, I'd go for them everyday. Well worth the money

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
it’s all going to come down to budget people who can afford AST will say all others that are cheaper are s**t which in comparison they probably are but it would work the same if someone was running pro flex they could say AST are s**t.

I’ve had Gaz golds on for years now with custom spring rates and been very pleased with them,

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
AVO are another option @Kev@KAM could help with details
Not as good as AST but half the price. I think better than the GAZ and BC due to the type of damper, and using a rear coilover

AST have really good damping but are rather expensive for a track day car arguably overkill if you are not chasing lap times and still need the maintenance checks yearly. Of course there are better but suspension is an area where the more you spend, the better things get.
My Tractive coil overs cost as much as most Clios but they are probably the best I’ve driven
Focus on the budget you can afford then work backwards to get the right suspension

Simon1975

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup/Meg R26
I run bc ds on my track car. Find them really good for the money. I'm sure there are better ones out there if you can afford them . Bc are a nice height easy to adjust and are comfy enough on the road and stiff enough on track for me.
20220619_100433.jpg

Clio 182
Thanks for all the replies lads. Rubbish at responding with a new born in the house atm.

In reality the budget sits at around £1000-£1500 so I know our options are limited.

We are currently running PMS roller top mounts, will the BC work them then fitted or do they have to use the top mounts supplied by BC?

Seen mixed reviews on here about Gaz, but I do ask myself: would I see the difference between the middle and bottom end of the budget. I’m no racing driver and at this stage still very much a novice.

Cheers lads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simon1975

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup/Meg R26
I believe bc come with their own top mounts. Can't help about the fitment of pms top mounts

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
The BC top mounts are better as they have a little bit of adjustment. I'd run with them set for extra caster. If you are buying the BC then you wouldnt really swap them.

Last edited:

MattJackson82

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve currently got Gaz GHA on my track only (trailer everywhere) 182 with 450lb rear springs full coil over & 600lb fronts, looking to upgrade these over the weekend winter, I’m very tempted to go for the ktec 750mc set up, any more feed back on these would be greatly appreciated.