ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

track day wheels / tyres

Clio 182,530d bmw
Hi all, I am looking for some advise on wheel selection. I am going to be doing some track days in my newly acquired clio 182. I am thinking of gettin some 15"wheels so I can then run them with toyo r888's. Any thoughts on this? Anyone have any?
Cheers,

Have a look at federal rsr tyres, a fair bit cheaper and alot of people rate them including myself.

As for wheels keep an eye out on here in the forsale section :)

535d / t5 caravelle
my renault 19 turbines cost me £40 off ebay for 5 with 4mm tread on all tyres, oh and they drive sooooooooooooooo much better on 15's.

Last edited:
  Ph2 Clio 172
15" wheels are a definite! The tyres can cost half as much as 16" ones.

As for tyres, jumping straight to R888's is probably over kill, and expensive. Go for some middle ground. There are plenty of decent road tyres that people have used on track, and if you want something more track focused then look at Federal RS-Rs.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
15" wheels and some secondhand sticky tyres is an option I see quite a few people taking, then you can replace them a couple at a time as they wear out. Rather than get hit for 500 quid all in one go.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Why even bother with a second set of wheels+tyres?

If you're just doing a few track days it will cost a lot less total to just treat your current wheels to a set of Michellins and then you'll have the benefit of nice tyres all the time.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Why even bother with a second set of wheels+tyres?

If you're just doing a few track days it will cost a lot less total to just treat your current wheels to a set of Michellins and then you'll have the benefit of nice tyres all the time.

I find it works out cheaper overall to run multiple sets as then the ones that are for track use you can run right down to below the wear markers where there is still a lot of useable tread, where as if you use them on the road too you cant.

Ph2 Clio 172
If just go full pikey and have just a single set of 15" wheels you use all the time with RS-Rs which are perfectly good as both a road and track tyre :)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I find it works out cheaper overall to run multiple sets as then the ones that are for track use you can run right down to below the wear markers where there is still a lot of useable tread, where as if you use them on the road too you cant.

I know some people go on a track day and will rinse a set of new tyres, and to be honest if you can afford to do that then fair play. But my point is road use comparatively wears tyres a lot less, so let's say you buy some new tyres, use them on the road for 2000 miles, then do a day at Donnington and toast them. You'd have had to buy a new set of tyres for 1 set of wheels afterward so why not just use 1 set in the first place.

Horses for courses and all that but to use 2 sets of tyres you'd need to take your rear seats out or get a trailer, swap your wheels at the track etc etc etc.

(IMO)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I know some people go on a track day and will rinse a set of new tyres, and to be honest if you can afford to do that then fair play. But my point is road use comparatively wears tyres a lot less, so let's say you buy some new tyres, use them on the road for 2000 miles, then do a day at Donnington and toast them. You'd have had to buy a new set of tyres for 1 set of wheels afterward so why not just use 1 set in the first place.

Horses for courses and all that but to use 2 sets of tyres you'd need to take your rear seats out or get a trailer, swap your wheels at the track etc etc etc.

(IMO)

On our 172 with the rear seats folded forward there is plenty of space for wheels and a jack etc, no need to take the seats actually out, but I agree it does add hassle.

Clio 182,530d bmw
Wow peeps, thanks for all the replies. Think I am going to go with a set of 15's for track use and my 16's for everyday use. Just need to find me a set now! Is there any other makes, VW ford vauxhall etc that will fit or is there a off set I need to look for?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Vauxhall are 49mm offset, WAY too far in unless you use adaptors and they also have too small a spigot hole so it cant just be normal spacers, needs to be custom made.
vw are a lot closer