ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track rod end stuck in hub

Craigy69k

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 182 FF
Got new inner and outers and planning on replacing if I can get the outer track rod end out the bastarding hub!!! Other side fell out but tried hammering the other off and applying heat but still solid.

Have the shocks off too so don't know if this has something to do with it? Steering angle etc?

Any ideas before round two tomorrow?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Beat the s**t out of it.

One of these is good if you're not going to reuse it.

19907_P&$prodImageMedium$.jpg

Craigy69k

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 182 FF
I have literally beat the s**t out of it with that exact hammer, the 4 kilo one all afternoon worried in case I've broke other stuff now. Do you think the shock being off will affect it?

Craigy69k

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 182 FF
Will try a fork then, if that doesn't work will just use a grinder and cut the f****r up

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Shock on really otherwise the hub is just going to bounce up and down everytime you hit it.

Jamess182

ClioSport Club Member
Had this issue a couple of years ago, spent hours smashing the f**k out of it and wasted three gallons of gt85 and got nowhere. Ended up driving a bolt splitter halfway into the thread to grip it, and then use a breaker bar to pivot and eventually free it. Not exactly conventional but did the job.

Craigy69k

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 182 FF
Smacking everywhere but mostly concentrating on the bolt tbh.

Will try a fresh attack with heat and side impacts then first thing, if this doesn't work will try the splitter/pry bar suggestion, if this then does not work will grind it and poss drill it out.

Thanks for the suggestions chaps, this is coming off tomorrow one way or the other 👍

Jamess182

ClioSport Club Member

Will try a fresh attack with heat and side impacts then first thing, if this doesn't work will try the splitter/pry bar suggestion, if this then does not work will grind it and poss drill it out.

Thanks for the suggestions chaps, this is coming off tomorrow one way or the other 👍

Let us know how you get on!
And as @dann2707 said, you need to be mostly hitting the hub from the side on to free it. Not the actual thread itself. But even hours of that didn't work for me, hence the splitter method. Robbed this photo from Google
A709BF90-E394-437C-9C22-71E0F2951E38.jpeg

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member

I have spent hours before hitting the bolt, genuinely on the brink of tears wondering why the hell it wasn't coming off until realising you need to hit where @James172C has pointed to.

If you can put some downwards tension on it with a pry bar and hit it there I will happily bet you £5 that it comes off with the first or second hit.

My mate showed me it and I couldnt believe how easy it is

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Odd that as I have never needed to do anymore than what I mentioned. Guess I was lucky.

Craigy69k

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 182 FF
Update for anyone who cares.

Put shocks on and tried step one with heavy hammer and pry bar, no luck.

Added in heat around the knuckle part and soaked in gt85. Levered downward pressure with bar against steering rod and wishbone then swing with pure rage until the fucker dropped out.

May have screamed and cursed too cant really remember now, mind went blank for a moment.

Anyways out now, thanks again chaps.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
You need to do that magic tap thats on Wheeler Dealers, where he whacks either side with two hammers and it just pops right out.

Well, until you realise you don't have two identical hammers, so just end up swearing at it.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Buy one of these, come in handy for real stubborn trackrod ends or balljoints and quite kind on the rubber boot if you pull it down before knocking it in. Tighten it up, if it does not go straight away with a bang, hit the side of the hub and then it will go again with a bang. I have a genuine renault one in the garage which is similar, and its pulled me out the s**t on the 250 when the bottom balljoint was solid.

7FAF6B78-1F32-41ED-B4F1-1DED7392F01E.jpeg