ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track toy - 172

FormulaFord Ecoboost
After a lot of messing around I'll be getting a 172 very soon. This is probably going to be a Ph1 172 or maybe get a Ph2 172/172 Cup but it doesn't matter too much. Ph1 is probably the most suitable base for what I'll be doing.

This is a weekend toy, it'll rarely be driven mid-week and it'll only really be on the road to get me to track days.

I have a budget of £5k in mind but that's fairly loose and I can go over that. I wonder if you might spare your thoughts on the following, my intention is to buy all this stuff at the same time as getting the car and then start stripping/prepping it immediately. I know I could probably find an existing track car but they don't seem to sell very often.

So here is what I have so far:

Ph1 172 - £2000
Seats - 2x Renault Clio CUp race car seats @ ~£450 each (based on the price last time I spoke to R Sport), Matching 'Seat Fixing Kit' which I suspect I'll need @ £100 each. If these turn out to be too expensive then I'll get Cobra Evolution or Sebrings
Subframe - I was just going to use a bit of steel/alloy strip?
Harness - Clio Cup harnesses @ £160 each
Steering Wheel - Clio Cup Steering wheel @ £140
Steering Wheel Boss - Momo Adjustable Alloy Spacer £55
Engine Mods - Angelworks Matched Inlet Manifolds £170*
BTB Clio Stealth Exhaust @£350but many cars will have had their exhaust changed already*
Fastchip RS Tuner @ £190*
Powerflex mounts/bushes - as and when they're needed*
Brakes - Brembo HC Max + Ferodo DS2500 £200 ish (guess)
Goodridge Brake Hoses @ £51
Yozzasport brake duct kit @ £120
Wheels/Tyres - Will change to R888 when needed, or maybe have two sets so will have some slicks for the track + 'normal' tyres to get me there and back (also used for wet)*
Suspension - will probably see about second hand coilovers but was thinking of Bilstein B14s @ £850
Roll cage - Safety Devices rear cage @£450

Anything with a * is stuff that I can wait for so isn't necessarily included in my budget just yet.

So what do you think? Comments bad or good, by all means advise on different products. Be mindful that I already have an everyday car so this is not a 'fast road/track look' car and I don't have to worry too much about what it's like on the road.

Cheers all! :D

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
Sounds Good, only thing i would drop is the 1/2 cage. Get a full one instead.

Look in the project section, for our PH1 thread or Burp/tonys race car

FormulaFord Ecoboost
Sounds Good, only thing i would drop is the 1/2 cage. Get a full one instead.

Look in the project section, for our PH1 thread or Burp/tonys race car

The view is that I'll be getting the front section later on. I'm wanting the rear first because I can get the back of the car sorted initially and then get the front later on. Does that make sense?

I suppose I can get the front at the same time but was doing it this way to move the cost a few months down the line.

If I'm talking rubbish then I'm happy to get the full cage all in one go. :approve:

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
TBH it makes sense but it doesnt.

Looking back we should have gone for a full cage straight away intead or the 1/2 cage we had.

Either get the OMP one, or look out for a Ex cup racer one or get a custom roll cage from a cage builders like we did.

For the extra 300-400 quid you might aswell do it early.

FormulaFord Ecoboost
Ok, it's certainly something to consider, the extra 300-400 quid isn't too big a deal. I suppose the options are:
- SD cage
- Caged cage but having read the group buy thread I'm put off by the lack of response from them
- OMP, cheap but 'unfinished' and would need welding in and then painting. I like the 'finished' look of the SD one.
- Cup Racecar cage, sounds like too much hassle to me but I'll have a look and see what I can find.
- Custom - my perception is that this is an expensive option.

I like the bolt-in nature of the SD one as I can at least sell it later on whereas a welded one would be more difficult to sell.

Good advice though, I will probably stretch the budget for the full cage.

1.4 phase 1
love it but yea go for the full cage. me and my mate are going to be builing a mark 1 track car soon when we cage it after its brief spell as a sleeper, it will be a full cage just becuase its cheaper in the long r un.

E90
Full cage.

And budget alot for expendables, I would reccomend doing anything that can and does wear, bushes, Drive shaft boots etc etc etc etc etc etc.